CH2M HILL Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
436 reviews filtered by

Great company with good benefits and a lot of opportunities.

Current Employee - Wastewater Treatment Operator in The Villages, FL
    Current Employee - Wastewater Treatment Operator in The Villages, FL

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Lots of room for advancement if you apply yourself. There are endless possibilities. Good pay with benefits. Great people to work with. The veteran staff is excellent at on the job training. Great place if you're looking for a career. A lot of diversity in job categories at the villages project so there is some good cross training if take advantage of it.

Cons

A little top heavy with management but it's understandable with the amount of different job categories we offer one boss couldn't handle it all.

Great company and a great place to work. I'm very happy here and I will be with the company until i retire. Thank you for my opportunity I will make the most I can out of it.

An employee owned company composed of honest & creative engineers and scientists

Current Employee - Project Engineer Federal Contracts
    Current Employee - Project Engineer Federal Contracts

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work on a project where the main focus is environmetal remediation. The people I work with are focused on taking lands that have been contaminated and making them pure again. It's a nice thing to end the day knowing that yu are part of a creative team of people who work hard to un-do past environmental degradation. I find the people I workwith hard working, honest, creative and easy to get a long with.

Cons

The world of consulting is always an extra challenge. You not only need to work hard and do the assigned work but you must always be ready for the times when the current project is complete and you need to switch gears. CH2MHILL could do a lot more in the realm of helping employees with the stress of business development and with the stress of always needing project numbers for billing.

When major mistakes are made at the managment level due to chasing very large design build projects please don't punish the engineering business groups for the loss of capitol. Please don't make them pay for or feel responsible for mistakes they did not create nor had anything to do with.

CH2M HILL Response

Mar 26, 2015Company Representative

Thanks for being part of the CH2M HILL team over the past 8 years. Also, thank you for writing a review sharing how important and fulfilling your work is within the environmental team. We also want ... More

3. Intern

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

Great management
    Friendly workplace
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Not a great amount of work depending on the office
    At times finding work was like pulling teeth from the Project Managers

Give more work to interns so they can get a fantastic experience..as well as help pay for Living situations over the summer.

5. Avoid this company or at least this office at all cost if you want to grow in your professional career!!!

Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible schedule.
    - Work/life balance is Terrific because most of the time you cannot find works to fill out your 40-hour timesheet weekly.
    - Learn how to be a negative person for a lifetime.

Cons

- If you consider this company to be your employer, God bless you!!! You will end up hating yourself and everyone around you.
    - An extremely toxic and negative working environment where most of senior engineers are not willing to help you gain knowledge or move further in your professional career path. I sometimes thought that it was in the best interest not to help you to eliminate future job competition because sooner or later they all would leave CH2M Hill. When asking a question, most of the time you would receive an answer "Hmm...I am not really sure. You can search it online...". Okay...If I could search for answer to my question online, I wouldn't be here asking you for help, would I???
    - Gossips and many gossips. I found it amusing that many people that I worked with seemed to be so nice to each other but once not together, they would start bashing each other.
    - Not many good projects for you to work on to gain hands-on experiences. You would expect a company of this magnitude to win big projects but definitely not in this office. I can see this trend will continue for many years. Many people were forced to take their PTO due to consistent lack of works.
    - A few people without an engineering degree let alone a PE would proudly call themselves engineers and refuse to listen to other supposedly good engineers for directions.

- Get rid of all incompetent people and start hiring talented people. This is the only solution to win works.
    - Be more connected to your subordinates.
    - Provide young engineers with meaning tasks so that they can grow in their professional career. Giving them CAD works to do everyday is absolutely not beneficial!!!

Upper management: Clueless about our business and people.

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once was a great company.

Cons

Our current upper management don't understand how we make money or deliver projects for our clients.

Please leave before the money makers do.

Large company but not a good culture fit

Former Employee - Staff Engineer
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since it's a large company, ability to work on large, challenging projects. Opportunity to travel/work share. My pay was fairly competitive. Nice retirement package and employee discount to purchase company shares.

Cons

Everyone has different experiences, but I didn't mesh well with the people I worked with. Very focused on being billable as other people have noted (communications sent about using PTO during holidays if not billable). Tried transferring to a different office but apparently wasn't a "good fit" so ended up getting laid off. I've fit in very well at other companies I've worked at so maybe the people are difficult to get along with (maybe they are too cocky?).

When I worked there, company revenue decreased but earnings increased (trimming administrative costs and payroll as I experienced first hand) while share price increased so from my perspective they are not growing organically, just accounting tricks to make the numbers look better.

used to be great company

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

interesting projects and opportunities to work

Cons

poor work life balance =either too much or too little work and no work load leveling among work groups; management is not focused/poor management; serious financial troubles currently; company undergoing restructuring//terminations= poor morale

get back to the basics- bring this company back to what it used to be; provide training (used to be avail to all employees, not just a select few); train operation leads to work load level and mentor

CH2M Hill has changed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

Pros-Coworkers are friendly and helpful

Cons

Cons-Stressful and overworked without adequate compensation

Bring back Ralph's values

10. Repetitive

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Typical environmental consulting company. Same projects, different clients. Large clients only.

Cons

Not much work diversity because management focuses on a few big ticket clients at the expense of smaller work. Reorgs constantly.

CH2M Hill

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse international markets with lots of opportunity

Cons

Management style has deteriorated over the years