CH2M Reviews

Reset
3.1
CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance depending on project work cycle (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, Pay scale is low (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance driven by an impossible workload and performance expectations (in 11 reviews)

• More upper management than seems necessary (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good working environment

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at CH2M

Pros

A very strong history of doing great work for their clients and building lasting relationships that provide employees with meaningful work. On the forefront of virtual teams allowing many employees to work from home while delivering complex projects. The leadership is fairly flat but can be complex given the matrix type organization that is has grown into. Provides a lot of opportunity for driven individuals who have technical know-how. Benefits and compensation are competitive, especially for strategic hires.

Cons

Given the size of the firm, certain groups can make the employee feel lost in the numbers. Growth in high risk contracts has been a challenge. Experience can vary significantly depending on the office (which is true for a lot of large firms).

Advice to Management

CH2M HILL has the staffing capability to mobilize experienced construction managers, inspectors, and resident engineers anywhere we have a client need. We work in communities small and large around the globe, providing any level of service the Owner needs—from staff augmentation to full construction management

2. Great People at CH2MHILL

Former Employee - Environmental Professional in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Professional in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at CH2M full-time

Pros

The people at CH2MHILL are very professional and knowledgeable. Each project I was associated with was staffed by highly qualified people. I was always confident working on such a strong team that we could figure-out any problem.

Cons

My experience at CH2MHILL was very positive

3. Public Relations Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at CH2M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits A lot of atonomy Great training program and a company culture of professional development Very engaging work Interesting people

Cons

Nothing really to say here. I did not have any bad experiences. I was well managed and fairly treated. The work was interesting and engaging.

Advice to Management

Well done. The over all experience was positive and a great place to work. I was well trained for the job and given every opportunity to grow and develop.

5. No comment

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. The teams are very experienced and work together to solve all kinds of simple to complex problems.

Cons

This is a big company and a lot of procedures are now in place to make it operate smoothly.

Was once a great to company to work for

I worked at CH2M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay if you work on their North Slope operations or in senior management. There are some incredible managers who are committed to supporting and mentoring the employees who report to them - unfortunately there are fewer and fewer of these around. Some positions are given the opportunity to telecommute.

Cons

Benefits are not the best - especially PTO and Health Insurance. Compensation is all over the board - based more on who you know then on how well you perform - and I say this as a employee who benefited by knowing the right people so I was paid more than my peers for the same job, time on job, and quality of work. The current senior management team has forgotten what made this company great - the employees - and instead concentrate on making decisions that benefit the management team and not the employees (and thus not the company).

Advice to Management

Go back CH2M HILL's basics "The Little Yellow Book." The current senior management needs to remember that they are not what keeps the company going - it is the employees. This is why employee ownership is going down - the non-management employees no longer feel they matter which is why I am no longer there.

7. Ch

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Shelton, CT

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Technical projects that require problem solving.

Cons

Large central bureaucracy that slows progress

Good company

Current Employee - IT Leadership in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - IT Leadership in Englewood, CO

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ethical, invested in building the future, employee owned

Cons

Emphasis on employees is slowly eroding. CEO is prone to cheerleading and positive thinking, even when she should be looking inward for how to rebuild conficence.

Advice to Management

Work on rebuilding confidence of your stockholders, instead of looking for new ones.

9. Good PTO

Current Employee - Wastewater Treatment Operator
    Current Employee - Wastewater Treatment Operator

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With less than 5 years at this company, I'm accrue just over three weeks of vacation time a year. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

This company places a lot of emphasis on paperwork that doesn't have anything to do with the job. Just a means to check a box showing something was completed.

Advice to Management

Minimize your management structure. Don't create work and paperwork just to justify somebody getting a bonus at the end of the year.

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at CH2M (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful; a nice casual environment.

Cons

Poor upper management. Lots of confusion; an absence of proper planning. It's like working an on-call job; you never know what needs to be done when, but you need to be ready for action at a moment's notice. Stressful.

Advice to Management

Cut from the top. Give lower level managers more authority and value communication down through all levels of staff.

Good company

I worked at CH2M full-time

Pros

treats people well, strong technical capabilities

Cons

tried to get too big too fast and lost lots of company culture and good people

RSS Feed </> Embed