CH2M Reviews

3.9
CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman
1 Rating

Pros
  • Reasonable work-life balance depending on project work cycle (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, Pay scale is low (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance driven by an impossible workload and performance expectations (in 11 reviews)

• More upper management than seems necessary (in 16 reviews)

I enjoy the culture CH2M HILL has to offers.

Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment at CH2M HILL is very different than other companies I've worked for other companies that don't send half the time making the employee comfortable and needed.

Cons

The 4 hour commute that I have to make everyday. The other thing I find interesting is that when I'm light on billable hours(which is 95% billable) I have email other Operation leads for work.

Advice to Management

To put into place a proper training program for subcontracts administrator

Corporate Culture Undermines Trust and Cooperative Problem Solving

Current Employee - Senior Environmental Scientist in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Environmental Scientist in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is competitive and benefits are excellent. The projects and work are interesting. Having many offices allow staying with the company when moving to another geographic area. Telecommuting is commmon. Office facilities are genrally very good.

Cons

The company expects a lot of free side work in the form of presentations, mentoring, community service projects, etc. Billing is expected to be 100%. Poor support for attending training and professional development events. There is no way to settle disagreeements between project managers and technical experts. The corporate culture fosters blaming and backstabbing rather than collaboration and problem solving. As in many large engineering firms, the environmental division is a sideshow to support the engineering practice. Work is stovepiped with poor communicaitons and cooperation. Long-time employees say it has grown quickly through acquisitions but still operates like a small local office. Individuals market their services internally to project managers with little coordination or support. Records and document retreival infrastructure is very poor. Bonus pay is not common. Managers must rate at least 15 percent of employess as unsatisfactory. Workloads are uneven and vacation/sick leave must be saved to carry through light work periods. Orientaiton and integration is poor without clear explanations of expectations.

Advice to Management

Revise the PEP program to foster coooperative solutions rather than finger-pointing.

RSS Feed </> Embed