CHEP

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.9

Tom Gorman

Pros
  • Work/life balance is able to be reached compared to other companies I've worked at (in 9 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are above average and the focus on work/life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They preach work life balance but that seems to be a crock of crap (in 11 reviews)

• I was shocked to see that people will rate this company high overall but list long hours and lack of work life balance in the Cons section (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great story, innovative, and partnering with many of the best companies in the world!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CHEP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, benefits, PTO, etc.
    Opportunities for anyone to contribute to innovation or projects outside of their current role.
    Promotional and transfer opportunities for those willing to work for it.
    Executives are accessible and work along side teams.
    Excellent financials and growth.

Cons

Working on becoming more efficient through better systems, processes, etc., some manual processes slow things down.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CHEP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible managers, lots of challenges

Cons

Too many meetings, lots of work

Great company, good benefits, bad future career/position opportunities.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CHEP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly laid back and flexible culture though this depends on your manager or director. Benefits such as health, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, PTO, annual bonus and salary increase based on merit.

Cons

There is not a lot of room to grow here. I am in the Finance department and it's hard to advance within this area. When I was first hired, I got the impression that career growth was available and attainable, but this has been difficult thus far.

Consider promotions within current role (i.e. promotion from Financial Analyst to Senior Financial Analyst).

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CHEP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance is able to be reached compared to other companies I've worked at. This place has some smart, creative people working for it. They do a lot of fun things for the employees (three volunteer days available, department morale events, fiscal year kickoff with food and entertainment, etc.).

Cons

A lot of organizational changes. The IT systems that are in place are not fully utilized or not mature enough. It's working through it's transition from a small company to a big company.

Great

I have been working at CHEP as a contractor

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance is real

Cons

None that I can ink of at this time

Keep up engaging the employees

Good company to work for

I have been working at CHEP

Pros

This company is in an industry which is quite unfamiliar but has managed to attract a very high level of employee. It is a honor to be included within this employee base. The pay is quite competitive and there is a high level of energy here. All employees are engaged in making things better and it has a minimalist political culture. Delivery of results is king here.

Cons

A lot is expected from the employees here. It is common to see the parking lot half full at 8:00 p.m. Employees are not expected to have a healthy work life balance. It is preached, but work conditions make that impossible.

Great Benefits but Culture Needs Improvement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at CHEP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits compared to comparable positions in Orlando area, and great co-workers. Opportunity to build contacts in supply chain industries.

Cons

Unfortunately there is a lot of double talk and "drink the koolaid" strategies in this company culture. I was shocked to see that people will rate this company high overall but list long hours and lack of work life balance in the Cons section. I would have done the same thing if I still worked there and I think it's part of the overall brainwashing that sets in and convinces people that working more than 70 hours a week is OK. I think that people do it because they see good people around them doing it and don't speak up when positions have been cut and people find themselves working the jobs of two to three people plus training newer managers, which lowers morale. On top of that, company seems to lose focus after a year or two and keeps switching strategies and letting go of some of the best and brightest while promoting the most politically savvy power players who don't really know the business, are not the greatest at developing employees, and seem increasingly unproductive at what it is they are supposed to be doing.

Find a way to pitch a strategy to shareholders that will last more than a year and not require constant re-organization. If you focus more on customer and employee satisfaction, your shareholders will prosper as well. Also think about actually hiring enough resources and taking advantage of technologies that can automate many of the processes that are still manual and time consuming to allow many groups to produce meaningful results. Also, if you retain some of your better management for more than a few years, you can actually see what long term gains can be made and you can be better advocates for the customer if there wasn't as much management and senior management turnover.

chep

I have been working at CHEP full-time

Pros

pay is good compared to the rest of the area

Cons

They are continually cutting heads and promoting the worst people.

hire more people and stop promoting the dummies

Most of management are very supportive and everyone has a great knowledge of the business

Current Employee - Logistics Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Logistics Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CHEP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High Salary, training, flexible hours (in most cases)

Cons

High stress level. Many re-organizations

Try to have more consistency rather than every few months changing policy or procedures.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Operations Representative
    Former Employee - Operations Representative

I worked at CHEP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Compensation for work is good. PTO policy is nice, as well as other benefits.

Cons

Advancement is limited for field personnel unless they want to relocate.