CHI Systems

Updated June 12, 2014
Updated June 12, 2014

2.7

CEO

Current employee who experienced past and present management teams and is excited by the new positive company culture

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

Having started as a temp, I was not sure what to expect when the company was sold and the new management team took over. I was pleasantly surprised and felt valued, even as a temp. I was hired as a permanent employee, despite the fact that I was 6-months pregnant at the time. I find that the current state of the company shows great promise and amazing potential for future success. Through my experience, I can say that the company really does value its employees and has been nothing but honorable in their management of my employment. I have rarely experienced the type of flexibility, understanding and overall motivation that is present here. The atmosphere is so mellow and calm, it feels great to work for a company that truly doesn't play "office politics" or put bureaucracy before the well-being of its employees.

Cons

My hours have been reduced recently and I am anxious to return to full-time work with CHI. Also, rush hour traffic between my home in Delaware County and Plymouth Meeting is somewhat of a nightmare.

Keep doing what you're doing. I see the management team working so hard to repair relationships and accounts that were damaged from prior ownership as well as trying to win new business every day. Your hard work and dedication are a great example to the entire staff, especially the interns, who are learning what it takes to make a company successful.

Since the company was bought in 2013, things are much improved

Pros

Very interesting work on difficult problems. You have the freedom to pursue research and technology development in your areas you are interested in. The company treats people with respect and is flexible with family issues. The pay is good and the location is convenient, with food and shopping options across the street. The people are great.

Cons

Traffic at rush hour is bad in Plymouth Meeting, but the company works with you on setting your work hours.

Company with promise...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA

Pros

Technical team is extremely talented and works very well with one another. The salary was great, as was the flexibility with hours. Working on projects that required not just technological skill, but creativity also, was an invaluable experience.

Cons

Management is top-heavy, with the more capable individuals being given the shaft, in favor of those who are less adept. In addition, there is absolutely no job security.

I'd say weigh your decisions more wisely, however I get the feeling that the parent company is really pulling all of the strings. I truly hope CHI can weather the storm created by it's blunders.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and interesting work but …

Former Employee - Director  in  Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Fort Washington, PA

Pros

Very smart staff trying to solve very difficult technology R&D problem. Very interesting military domains. Very solid corporate history and reputation as an excellent small business DoD research shop. World class reputation in human computer interaction.

Cons

Confusion and shortsightedness . Continuous restructuring of senior management has created a very unstable environment. Lack of focus on sustaining the business for long term survival in favor of short term revenue objectives. Continuous loss of senior technical staff has left a bottom heavy organization that means well but has no real technical or operational leadership.

Return to the past formula for success before it is too late. Admit that mistakes have been made and correct these issues. Stop thinking in terms of monthly revenue and develop a plan to still be in business in 5 years

A steady decline

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Incredibly talented engineers and cutting edge defense technology make the work interesting and rewarding. A relaxed environment and close working relationships

Cons

CHI has been slowly bleeding people for the last 5 years. The company is clearly in decline and on its last legs.

Balance your personal issues with what is best for the company.

Circling The Drain

Pros

Company has a past reputation of working on exciting and diverse projects. Free coffee.

Cons

Owned by a Canadian company that has absolutely no clue what they're doing with a U.S. based R&D outfit. Company has been losing people, some with over 20 years of tenure, left and right over the last two years, as well as cutting benefits and salaries. Have hired people on occasion just to let them go. They're not likely to last more than 2 more years.

No meaningful advice; management has no leverage. Like another reviewer said, the parent company pulls all the strings.

CHI Systems is not what it use to be

Pros

Small staff, good location, cool work

Cons

Declining tech staff, lose of quality management and staff who bring in work

The Chaos outweighs the Pros

Pros

Excellent work/life balance
    Very interesting work
    Super intelligent co-workers
    Excellent products

Cons

CHAOS!
    Upper management doesn't communicate goals, plans, or feedback.
    Meetings are always being cancelled and rescheduled and never happen.
    Decisions are made, changed, made, changed, ... and communication from top down is nonexistent.
    They expect you to drop everything -- your family life, vacation plans, etc., because they forgot to plan for a proposal and so they want to get it done at the absolutely very last minute.

Retire

Worked for CHI Systems? Contribute to the Community!