CHOC Children's
jobs.chocchildrens.org Orange, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

CHOC Children's Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Kim Cripe

Tough times but moving in the right direction

Orange, CA

ProsThe mission, the people, the culture!! The leadership team is doing a great job in trying to constantly communicate updates, keep us informed, and even ask for our opinions on decisions. Not too common out there. The folks at the top, especially Kim, care about the people and are always trying to do what is best for everyone despite how hard it is to make some decisions. Thank you!

ConsTemporary, but the organization is going through some tough times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work...please continue to communicate as much as possible. I know how tough these times are and you are having to make tough decisions. We all have a lot of confidence in you in making those decisions. Thank you!

Too Many High Paid Cooks In The Corporate Kitchen

ProsThe caring doctors, nursing staff & some employees are what make CHOC a good hospital; not the high paid management who sit in their ivory towers.

ConsCutting nursing staff leads to less quality care. As long as the higher ups make money to line their pockets the "peons" suffer. There is money to hire a not needed consulting firm to cut people's job; but I bet management will not take pay cuts to help the budget

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the games of who goes and who stays. Not fair to the employees who truly care about and need their jobs. You need to see how the other half lives and open your eyes

Best Co-Workers I have ever had, but probably the worst management

Scrub-tech I (Current Employee)
    Orange, CA

ProsCo-workers, equipment, facility, probably one of my favorite places to work. I truly enjoyed coming into work every day because I knew I was making a difference.

ConsManagers/Directors overstepped their boundaries, literally playing Russian Roulette with employee's lives. I was not properly oriented, and received nothing but false promises... GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING (lesson learned!).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a very strong OR crew in place... one of which I was truly proud to call myself a member of. If you continue to go down the path that you are currently on, you will lose A LOT of wonderful people... you have already lost me. Stop playing with people's livelihoods. I completely uprooted my family to come to CHOC because what was promised to me. I am leaving very dissatisfied, but hope to return in the future to a better managed entity.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Downward Spiral without "Breaks"--pun intended

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Orange, CA

ProsGreat co-workers. Caring nurses who like what they do, but not the EMT (executive management team) that they do it for. If it were not for all my friends/co-workers I would be long gone.

ConsGetting in trouble for clocking out late, regardless to the reason. Not getting adequate breaks, but having to clock out for them to avoid getting into trouble later down the road. CHOC does not care about the personal lives of their employees. They take care of children, but couldn't care less if their own employees or their children are ill. It's all a numbers game.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and/or pull your heads out of the sand. Read your reviews...CHOC is losing it's reputation that you value so much. Kim Cripe, maybe if you lowered your multi-million dollar salary just a tad several great nurses may have been able to keep their jobs this past month. The trip to "Oz" has turned into a nightmare.

Good patient care opportunity

Technician (Current Employee)
    Orange, CA

ProsReasonable work-life balance. Opportunity to grow in knowledge of disease processes and patient care. Employer is committed to ergonomics, safety and working together to be a better team. Opportunity for short and long term disability insurance, health, dental and vision insurance as well as life insurance. The company is going through Lean Six Sigma and Pyramid transformation. It is a pruning time and will be followed by growth. Management and physicians are learning to work more as a team.

ConsNo concrete career growth opportunity for all positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to investigate tracking sources to problem solve work flow issues.

Great bedside care, terrible management

Nurse (Current Employee)
    Orange, CA

ProsThe bedside care is the best. A large teaching hospital.

ConsThe management is terrible. Chronic lay offs. The June 2014 lay off included over 60 nurses: all with chronic health issues/had just given notice of an upcoming leave/or parenting a special needs child. CHOC is not union and the unit managers can lay off, fire or change work schedules with little or no notice to the employee. CEO makes 7 digit salary while nurses are under paid. Bedside staff are disciplined for late meal breaks or late clock out, even when patient safety warranted these late time clock punches. The hospital has very few insured clients. takes mostly uninsured or undocumented aliens. It is very hard for families, even children of employees, with insurance to get into CHOC clinics.

Advice to Senior ManagementKim Cripe wake up! Your staff are laying off hard working single mothers, mothers with special needs children, people who work hard and are totally dedicated when they are there. This country allows legal family and medical leaves yet your managers are firing great people. You are making these mother's dependent on the free care your hospital offers instead of keeping them as working, tax paying professionals.

The culture is created by the long term executive leaders

Director (Current Employee)
    Orange, CA

ProsLots of good nurses and support staff, trying to do what is right for patients

ConsKeep your back to the door. The EMT led by the CEO is only there to get their huge paychecks and big pensions. They 'get rid' of any leader who disagrees with their currupt culture. Do a search on the COO. He took a CEO job and then backed out when he couldn't negotiate a huge pension and severance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt some point your negative culture and conniving is going to catch up with you. Many people in the community including former leaders comfirm the unhealthy culture comes from the top. The board of directors has failed to do their job and should go to.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat nurses and docs. Your coworkers will be your best allies. You'll need them to make it through.

ConsThis is the worst work experience I've ever had in more than 20 years. The management in my department was abusive to staff, unethical in their work, and tested the boundaries of what is considered appropriate business practice. If you have kids, don't work at this children's hospital because you'll get in trouble for taking time off to take care of your own sick kids! The are happy to spend millions on consultants for the face value but they don't really change. Like the other comment here I really wanted to love it, but working at CHOC is like being in a bad relationship. It could be amazing but it wont be. I'm waiting for the 20/20 expose on this place. I think people would be absolutely shocked to learn just how badly employees are treated. If you aren't in a leadership position, then you're really not worth much and are considered a second class citizen. The poor quality of most of the leadership team is embarrassing. I couldn't find another job fast enough because working here is bad for your physical health, your mental health, and just plain bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone needs to take a look at the CEO here. Maybe she owns the board and they're unwilling to look into it. Here is one of the many catch phrases I heard at CHOC, "Nothing will change until it changes at the top." They're talking about you Kim. If you were so good at your job, would you have hired over 600 new people and then lay off 150+ less than 2 years later? This place is as toxic as a nuclear accident and that's your doing. You give a bad name to what it means to be a woman executive. I really wanted to learn from you and I guess I learned a whole lot of what not to do.

Management- Worst Place I have ever worked

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe nurses and doctors are extremely skilled/talented/caring people.

ConsExtreme concern over their "image" and not on making it a great working environment.
    Management are a bunch of cronies....and they treat their employee's like crap behind closed doors.
    Upper management needs to go....you have no idea how bad this place is since you only get your info from your cronies and they are not about to tell you the truth.
    If you are honest and tell the truth....don't expect to be there long.....I've seen many get booted out for speaking the truth.
    Most unqualified, dysfunctional place I've ever worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet employee survey's that are really confidential...
    LEARN YOUR LESSONS! STOP BEING GREEDY AND ARROGANT....Get out of your echo chamber and listen to other's who might disagree with you but might have good ideas!
    CHOC puts a ton of money into consulting companies that don't do any good .....LEARN YOUR LESSONS and hire people who have a PROVEN track record and that have made other hospitals succeed..HIRE THEM but NOT as consultants...and GET RID OF YOUR UPPER MANAGEMENT TEAM...... The CEO earns $1.8 million/year!!! Give me a break! Is this position really more difficult/important than the president of the United States who earns $400,000/year??...This is a hospital that has chronic layoffs every few years and is in chaos constantly.

Very dysfunctional senior leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlmost everyone, from top to bottom, work at CHOC for the mission of the health and well-being of children. On the clinical side, there are some seriously great clinicians and clinical leadership doing amazing work. Great place to get care.

ConsThe senior leadership is highly dysfunctional and it stems from the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to what was taught you during JTE and the Speed of Trust…live it - don't just promote it. Words are empty. Actions and leadership go hand in hand.

Worked for CHOC Children's? Contribute to the Community!

CHOC Children's Videos

CHOC Children's – Why Work for Us?

For more than 45 years, CHOC Children’s has been steadfastly committed to providing the highest quality medical care to children. Affiliated with the University of California, Irvine, our regional pediatric healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CHOC Children's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CHOC Children's CEO Kim Cripe. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by CHOC Children's employees.