CHOC Children's

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
2.2

Kim Cripe

You can really grow here IF you are willing to lead.

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People in the community are very proud of CHOC. Doctors and nurses are compassionate and care deeply about patient satisfaction and service. Management tries hard to keep its employees happy through good paid time-off benefits and competitive salary. The people and culture here care about family.

Cons

CHOC has a family atmosphere, but this seems to keep the workplaces stagnant and lacking in innovation or urgency. Often, there seems to be a leadership void in various departments. In other words, the culture is not very dynamic.

CHOC Executive Leadership says it wants to be a Top-10 children's hospital. Please invest in innovation and research, step up your efforts in fundraising, and change your marketing strategy that feels more relevant to today.

IT manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of money spent on IT, no end to the funding for projects

Cons

Just about every experienced clinical leader has been let go. Every decision is made by the incompetent senior executives or one of their MANY consultants so nothing ever gets done. Why does CHOC need 2 COOs, 2 Vice Presidents of the Medical Foundation, and 2 CMOs? There are more high paid executives and consultants in this hospital (less than 250 beds) than in most medical centers with 800 beds.

There are way TOO many over paid executives and consultants. In one day I counted 15 consultants in various deptments. All are making at least $300/hour. How can you justify $6,000,000-$7,000,000 a year in consulting costs plus your enormous salaries? Do you know all of your salaries are published online? The CEO, coo, CFO, and cmo, combined, make over $5,000,000 a year. Who is left to care for the patients?

Insane management, legally questionable HR policies, good people trying to make it work for the kids in spite of it all.

Current Employee - Allied Health
    Current Employee - Allied Health

I have been working at CHOC Children's

Pros

Good people here at ground level trying their hardest to survive corrupt management.

Cons

Retaliation is the order of the day. Management is promoted according to the Peter Principle: ie, promoted to levels of incompetence. There are henchmen who regularly bypass the chain of command to report to the managers/directors what they want to hear. Try to do much for the kids, and you're shot down. Now especially it's a numbers game, with so many of the MDs having gone to UCI. Revenue is all-important, but there are many process and policies that at their best don't work and at their worst, damaging to hospital reputation as well as line staff reputation.

New blood, top down. It's telling that you have a very hard time retaining good HR people. They had tried to help us in the past, but were beaten down by management into silence. Very pervasive air of paranoia.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clerical

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My co-workers and the families we interact with. The benfits are ok but could be better if they were cheaper.

Cons

Management for sure is no bueno. Compensation is very low compare to other places. Did I mention overworked?

No way , no how ! You have to have good connections or your stuck.

Wonderful and supportive staff. Work as a team.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities for clinical advancement and fosters positive teamwork environment. Management readily available. As an educational facility, there are many educational opportunities available.

Cons

The hospital, like many others, is currently in a process of change. Adjustments are being made that will help the organization to grow and thrive.

A terrible management team that hides behind children.

Current Employee - Direct Patient Care Professional  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Patient Care Professional in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The best bedside care. The staff in direct patient care are 100% dedicated to their jobs and they support each other.

Cons

The management team has a long standing history of picking out the weak: great nurses and other staff that need to use the health insurance or care for a sick family member are laid off first: not by seniority. The "expensive" staff: those with high retirement matching, those who have 100% legit short term medical leave or those about to earn the great retirement plan will be laid off as soon as Kim Cripe and Melanie Patterson gets word of these terrible things. Heartless leaders who are completely disengaged from who their workers are.

Open your eyes. Walk through the floors: greet the nurses. Introduce yourselves. Ask about our families. Ask about the people you let go so we can tell you how hard it is to see our friends struggle while we still have jobs. Maybe you will see us as more than expenses to the hospital and as assets to CHOC.

Great employees with the heart; CEO poor leadership and board mangement.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great employess can be seen in the halls with the passion for their work they do.

Cons

How can a "non-profit" have a CEO making over 1.8 million and layoff staff to balance their budget and show the community this is the right way to run an organization? This is the 3rd time under the CEO layoffs have been enacted. Layoffs took place at the bedside where as the EMT & HR had very minimal if any. The organization mentions change yet it seems to only take place at the bedside.

The board, if serious, look into the leadership and decision making within the organization then just meet and talk about how great things are. Stop using cliché PR responses to employees. If the EMT can not see where the problems are, take action, and run efficiently and yet end up paying a vast amount for a outside company to tell them, that’s a problem.

Downward Spiral without "Breaks"--pun intended

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co-workers. Caring nurses who like what they do, but not the EMT (executive management team) that they do it for. If it were not for all my friends/co-workers I would be long gone.

Cons

Getting in trouble for clocking out late, regardless to the reason. Not getting adequate breaks, but having to clock out for them to avoid getting into trouble later down the road. CHOC does not care about the personal lives of their employees. They take care of children, but couldn't care less if their own employees or their children are ill. It's all a numbers game.

Open your eyes and/or pull your heads out of the sand. Read your reviews...CHOC is losing it's reputation that you value so much. Kim Cripe, maybe if you lowered your multi-million dollar salary just a tad several great nurses may have been able to keep their jobs this past month. The trip to "Oz" has turned into a nightmare.

Best Co-Workers I have ever had, but probably the worst management

Current Employee - Scrub-tech I  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Scrub-tech I in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers, equipment, facility, probably one of my favorite places to work. I truly enjoyed coming into work every day because I knew I was making a difference.

Cons

Managers/Directors overstepped their boundaries, literally playing Russian Roulette with employee's lives. I was not properly oriented, and received nothing but false promises... GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING (lesson learned!).

You have a very strong OR crew in place... one of which I was truly proud to call myself a member of. If you continue to go down the path that you are currently on, you will lose A LOT of wonderful people... you have already lost me. Stop playing with people's livelihoods. I completely uprooted my family to come to CHOC because what was promised to me. I am leaving very dissatisfied, but hope to return in the future to a better managed entity.

Mission-Driven Organization Dedicated to Patients and Employees

Current Employee - Manager  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Awesome mission and incredible leaders who have compassion for the organization and its people. Top management, including CEO and COO, care deeply about making CHOC a destination hospital for patients and families, as well as physicians and employees.

Cons

The hospital, like countless others locally and across the country, are experiencing tough time and working hard to make adjustments involving difficult decisions that will help the organization thrive in the new health care environment.

Please keep up the transparent communications and the rounding - we appreciate it!

CHOC Children's Photos

Worked for CHOC Children's? Contribute to the Community!