CHOC Children's

jobs.chocchildrens.org

CHOC Children's Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Kim Cripe

Wonderful and supportive staff. Work as a team.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsOpportunities for clinical advancement and fosters positive teamwork environment. Management readily available. As an educational facility, there are many educational opportunities available.

ConsThe hospital, like many others, is currently in a process of change. Adjustments are being made that will help the organization to grow and thrive.

A terrible management team that hides behind children.

Direct Patient Care Professional (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsThe best bedside care. The staff in direct patient care are 100% dedicated to their jobs and they support each other.

ConsThe management team has a long standing history of picking out the weak: great nurses and other staff that need to use the health insurance or care for a sick family member are laid off first: not by seniority. The "expensive" staff: those with high retirement matching, those who have 100% legit short term medical leave or those about to earn the great retirement plan will be laid off as soon as Kim Cripe and Melanie Patterson gets word of these terrible things. Heartless leaders who are completely disengaged from who their workers are.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes. Walk through the floors: greet the nurses. Introduce yourselves. Ask about our families. Ask about the people you let go so we can tell you how hard it is to see our friends struggle while we still have jobs. Maybe you will see us as more than expenses to the hospital and as assets to CHOC.

Great employees with the heart; CEO poor leadership and board mangement.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsGreat employess can be seen in the halls with the passion for their work they do.

ConsHow can a "non-profit" have a CEO making over 1.8 million and layoff staff to balance their budget and show the community this is the right way to run an organization? This is the 3rd time under the CEO layoffs have been enacted. Layoffs took place at the bedside where as the EMT & HR had very minimal if any. The organization mentions change yet it seems to only take place at the bedside.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board, if serious, look into the leadership and decision making within the organization then just meet and talk about how great things are. Stop using cliché PR responses to employees. If the EMT can not see where the problems are, take action, and run efficiently and yet end up paying a vast amount for a outside company to tell them, that’s a problem.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Downward Spiral without "Breaks"--pun intended

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsGreat co-workers. Caring nurses who like what they do, but not the EMT (executive management team) that they do it for. If it were not for all my friends/co-workers I would be long gone.

ConsGetting in trouble for clocking out late, regardless to the reason. Not getting adequate breaks, but having to clock out for them to avoid getting into trouble later down the road. CHOC does not care about the personal lives of their employees. They take care of children, but couldn't care less if their own employees or their children are ill. It's all a numbers game.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and/or pull your heads out of the sand. Read your reviews...CHOC is losing it's reputation that you value so much. Kim Cripe, maybe if you lowered your multi-million dollar salary just a tad several great nurses may have been able to keep their jobs this past month. The trip to "Oz" has turned into a nightmare.

Best Co-Workers I have ever had, but probably the worst management

Scrub-tech I (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsCo-workers, equipment, facility, probably one of my favorite places to work. I truly enjoyed coming into work every day because I knew I was making a difference.

ConsManagers/Directors overstepped their boundaries, literally playing Russian Roulette with employee's lives. I was not properly oriented, and received nothing but false promises... GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING (lesson learned!).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a very strong OR crew in place... one of which I was truly proud to call myself a member of. If you continue to go down the path that you are currently on, you will lose A LOT of wonderful people... you have already lost me. Stop playing with people's livelihoods. I completely uprooted my family to come to CHOC because what was promised to me. I am leaving very dissatisfied, but hope to return in the future to a better managed entity.

Mission-Driven Organization Dedicated to Patients and Employees

Manager (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsAwesome mission and incredible leaders who have compassion for the organization and its people. Top management, including CEO and COO, care deeply about making CHOC a destination hospital for patients and families, as well as physicians and employees.

ConsThe hospital, like countless others locally and across the country, are experiencing tough time and working hard to make adjustments involving difficult decisions that will help the organization thrive in the new health care environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep up the transparent communications and the rounding - we appreciate it!

Tough times but moving in the right direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsThe mission, the people, the culture!! The leadership team is doing a great job in trying to constantly communicate updates, keep us informed, and even ask for our opinions on decisions. Not too common out there. The folks at the top, especially Kim, care about the people and are always trying to do what is best for everyone despite how hard it is to make some decisions. Thank you!

ConsTemporary, but the organization is going through some tough times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work...please continue to communicate as much as possible. I know how tough these times are and you are having to make tough decisions. We all have a lot of confidence in you in making those decisions. Thank you!

Too Many High Paid Cooks In The Corporate Kitchen

ProsThe caring doctors, nursing staff & some employees are what make CHOC a good hospital; not the high paid management who sit in their ivory towers.

ConsCutting nursing staff leads to less quality care. As long as the higher ups make money to line their pockets the "peons" suffer. There is money to hire a not needed consulting firm to cut people's job; but I bet management will not take pay cuts to help the budget

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the games of who goes and who stays. Not fair to the employees who truly care about and need their jobs. You need to see how the other half lives and open your eyes

Good patient care opportunity

Technician (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsReasonable work-life balance. Opportunity to grow in knowledge of disease processes and patient care. Employer is committed to ergonomics, safety and working together to be a better team. Opportunity for short and long term disability insurance, health, dental and vision insurance as well as life insurance. The company is going through Lean Six Sigma and Pyramid transformation. It is a pruning time and will be followed by growth. Management and physicians are learning to work more as a team.

ConsNo concrete career growth opportunity for all positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to investigate tracking sources to problem solve work flow issues.

The culture is created by the long term executive leaders

Director (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsLots of good nurses and support staff, trying to do what is right for patients

ConsKeep your back to the door. The EMT led by the CEO is only there to get their huge paychecks and big pensions. They 'get rid' of any leader who disagrees with their currupt culture. Do a search on the COO. He took a CEO job and then backed out when he couldn't negotiate a huge pension and severance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt some point your negative culture and conniving is going to catch up with you. Many people in the community including former leaders comfirm the unhealthy culture comes from the top. The board of directors has failed to do their job and should go to.

Worked for CHOC Children's? Contribute to the Community!