CHOC Children's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Kim Cripe

Pros
  • Great doctors and nurses, they really care about the patients (in 4 reviews)

• It's a great place to work or volunteer (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Why does senior leadership keep hiring more VPs (in 4 reviews)

• The poor quality of most of the leadership team is embarrassing (in 2 reviews)

1. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Orange, CA

I worked at CHOC Children's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management and doctors were accessible and easy to work with.

Cons

Middle management was insecure in their position and tried to sabotage my job.

Advice to Management

Monitor middle management. If there is a big turnover in staff try to find out what the problem is. Other than that the job was fun, engaging and interesting.

2. Overall compensation is not competitive. CEO is overpaid. Some departments feel neglected and underappreciated.

Current Employee - Scientist in Dana Point, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Dana Point, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent PTO and annual merit increases.

great benefits, good pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I worked at CHOC Children's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Better pay compared to other locations are similar positions. Great benefits, employer pays huge percentage. 7 mins grace period, meaning your not considered late up to 7 mins. Working for a good cause

Cons

Some management look down at you. Some can be very and unpleasant to work with. Very minimal increase If your not a dr or supv. No big company holiday parties or bonus unless your a dr/supv

5. Job can be challenging but it's the best place I've worked!

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time

Pros

I love that CHOC continuously provides high-quality services to help our community. I work in the Human Resources Department. We have a great team. The leaders in my department encourage everyone on our team to learn and grow in our profession. Everyone on my team does a pretty great job of trying helping each other out as needed.

Cons

My position can be challenging at times but that's one of the main reasons I enjoy working for CHOC. Since the workload is typically high in HR, I recommend our leadership continue to check-in with everyone on a regular basis to ensure we each have the tools/support needed to be successful in our roles.

Advice to Management

I always feel comfortable approaching any of the leaders in Human Resources with questions/concerns; I recommend keeping the open door policy.

Highly Dysfunctional Organization

Former Employee - Job Title in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Job Title in Orange, CA

I worked at CHOC Children's

Pros

Great mission. Great healthcare practitioners.

Cons

One of the most dysfunctional organizations I've ever worked for. Poor decision making. Great facade of being a world class children's hospital. Under the covers, processes, management, and technologies are far behind actual "world class" organizations. Management is mostly comprised of lifers who are more concerned with CYA and politics than making quick informed decisions to improve the organization. Culture allows for a majority of employees doing the bare minimum and leaning on the go-getters until they burn out and leave. Very questionable ethics regarding CEO's compensation. Poor performance should not equal top 10 percent CEO pay. Poor performance and overall company management resulting in hundreds of people being laid off definitely should not result in the CEO receiving a $300k raise. Seriously, $1.5 million a year wasn't enough??

Advice to Management

Time for a new executive management team.

Director

Former Employee - DIrector Business Services in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - DIrector Business Services in Orange, CA

I worked at CHOC Children's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was once a nice low key community peds hospitals. Docs were good and didn't try to exceed their skills. High turn over at the CNO level.

Cons

This hospital will never achieve the level of expertise for which they are striving. Research is miniscule, UCI moved the majority of their surgical residents to Miller Childrens and CHOC is sending all organ transplants to Radys. After separating from St. Joseph's two years ago, employing all of the docs (this group loses over $22m a year due to low revenue and high salaries), and building a huge new hospital with a lot of debt the hospital is failing financially. The leadership team has never run a free standing hospital before last year. Clearly, they are overwhelmed and lack the skills to manage this level of complexity.

Advice to Management

The size and scope of your mistakes will cause CHOC to fail. Your lack of expertise is evidenced by your ineffective financial planning, destruction of the UCI affiliationwhich shut off research and advanced residencies, failure to recruit top teir faculty has led to mediocre care.

Nurse

Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at CHOC Children's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Patients and staff have excellent clinical practice

Cons

Executive management team does not value employees

Advice to Management

Lose EMT members that are paid salaries of more than 450K/year and limit those salaries accordingly

9. Research Associate I

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hospital itself is a great environment to work in. Everyone is really committed to their jobs and helping children in their community. The benefit package is also very and we have a lot of PTO.

Cons

The institute does not put enough emphasis on their basic science research. Most employees outside of the research department don't even know what types of research CHOC is doing.

Advice to Management

Give the research department more financial and PR support. There should be fund raisers to support research.

10. Clinical Associate

I have been working at CHOC Children's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a very good expirience on the medical floor, nurse's are AWESOME! first job in the medical field and I loved working there for inpatient.

Cons

Could use more child related supplies such as bandaids, curtains, just little things that would totally make a difference for a child's expirience at the hospital

11. Nursing

I have been working at CHOC Children's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CNO very involved and interested in nursing input. THE best co-workers. Peers are like members of your family. Very compassionate and caring staff and physicians that work well with nursing. Emphasis on collaboration and teamwork. Leaders that are interested in your ideas and a desire to meet the needs of employees. Management cares and wants to work with you to solve problems and issues. Open door policy.

Cons

Hospital is going through a transition. Changes in management and organizational structure. Change is difficult, but employees are informed and involved.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep an open door policy and reward your experienced, loyal staff for their commitment and passion for the organization and the children it serves.

RSS Feed </> Embed