CHRISTUS Health

CHRISTUS Health Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

CHRISTUS Health CEO Ernie Sadau

Ernie Sadau

Pros
  • Good Benefits including healthcare, 401K, etc(in 4 reviews)

• I loved the company because of their core values(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management does not want to address the major problems(in 6 reviews)

• Pay not as competitive, since company is non-profit(in 3 reviews)

Love!

Engineer II (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsI have worked for Christus for over a year now and really like my Manager and Director. They trust you to do your job and don't micro manage your time. Very approachable and value input from team and individuals.

ConsPay maybe a little below industry but have good benefits and pension plan.

Dis...fill in any positive adjective.

Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsPaycheck on time, mostly. Great for learning patience, fortitude and finding workaround solutions to many, what should have been, established operational procedures.

ConsHuge need for improved communication in setting priorities, maintaining strategy and sharing across all levels. Implementation of program changes, new systems, etc will benefit from improved planning and execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMend the disconnect between leadership, management, and staff. Work on culture of trust and modeling stated corporate values.

Experience at Christus Health

Patient Financial Associate II (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLow employee turn around rate.

ConsPromotion appear to be political

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the same standard of professionalism for all employees including management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enrollment

Enrollment (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosvery team driven with personel

Consmany certificates in enrollments part of customer service.

Always looking for ways to improve

PFS Associate II (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThere are plenty of opportunities to grow and learn. There are always associates who are willing to help.

ConsThe morale seems a little low most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoost morale!

A great company

Manager (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsCHRISTUS truly lives up to its mission and is continually working to improve. All companies have challenges and the issues facing health care -- particularly a company that cares for the poor -- are very challenging. They have had to make some unpopular decisions, but I believe they do so carefully and in keeping with values

ConsIt is a challenging time in health care right now so there will likely be more changes -- but that would be true for most companies.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to remember why you do what you do; stay true to the mission and carry on!

Sad to leave

Security Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsAssociates with the exception of higher management are Christians, easy to work with, and pleasurable team members to follow the mission of the organization. The facility is a nice well-maintained facility with plenty of collaboration space.

ConsI spent a prior two years working for very large successful organizations before accepting a position in the Christus IT department. In those organizations security leadership placed an emphasis on transparency and accessibility; management at the highest levels took the time to ensure the well being of their subordinates to maintain a low turn over and maximize their work product. Christus leadership speaks of their Christian values and the desire to maintain a healthy environment, however lacks the fortitude to follow their own core values (dignity, integrity, excellence, compassion, and stewardship).

Rationalizations and illegitimate answers from middle management are given to new prospects and senior management as to why turn over has been so high. The record is not reflective of the real truth; IT has been unable to retain qualified security professionals. I personally left as a result of the toxic and combative atmosphere, lack of true strategic direction, and upper management’s decision even when aware to hold those accountable in management to a higher standard. Collaboration and siloing information toward other teams and even security team members is promoted and has created an antagonistic atmosphere in the organization and the team. Security is not meant to be a roadblock or “funnel” but a partner for the business; a method for them to understand how to protect privacy and information, not secret police. Unprofessional attacks upon team members, other Christus associates, and customers occurred on a weekly basis.

My decision to leave Christus was difficult and troubling, my desire to maintain personal stability and further the mission with some great individuals could not over come the lack of quality leadership and chaos. While there are plenty of good things that could be done to improve the organization, lack of governance support and the adversarial atmosphere will hinder the organization’s business and their patients. There are too many good places to work in cyber security as the rate for qualified professional runs in the negative, if given an opportunity to work here I would suggest a pass and continue on to another organization, where you can make a difference and do true security.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership need to review the methods middle management has taken toward their subordinates and other teams. The micro-management style of some should be evaluated as to the overall organizational cost. If this is a strategic direction, reduce the cost by hiring less qualified or cheap pawns to fill those rolls this will reduce capital costs and reduce turn over rate. Management training needs to occur at the lower levels to understand the difference between strategic and tactical. Reacting to every small event has become the direction where “firefighting” is an everyday occurrence.

They don't care about their people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsFacilities are nice and there is some flexibility with work schedules in certain departments.

ConsBad or no leadership. Zero transparency. Employees are consistently taken advantage of or overlooked altogether.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Give them the tools to succeed. Quit expecting everything while giving nothing.

Honorable mission, but focus and leadership is out of balance.

ProsMission, not for profit care of those most in need. Compensation and benefits overall good. Many high quality and devoted care givers.

ConsExtreme focus on finance at the expense of clinical quality. Neglecting domestic operations at the expense of international. Leadership seems short term focused and averse to risking investment in innovation for the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease remember the sole reason for CHRISTUS' existence is to care for those in need and to do so in a high quality, safe manner. Margin is critical but if it comes at the expense of mission, disaster will follow.

Because no one would listen.

(Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThis company has some of the better corporate facilities you may encounter in the healthcare industry. A 24-hour fitness center, excellent break areas, an atmosphere which formally approaches faith from an affirmative point of view. I expect any applicant would be enthused to sign board after taking the tour of the building's impressive amenities.

ConsIn my many years working in various professional capacities in cyber security, never have I experienced anything which compares with the sheer enigma that is CHRISTUS Health... and in particular, the way in which the IT Security section was managed. During my tenure at this company, CHRISTUS has stood watch as its cyber security talent evacuated, with eleven people departing, achieving a 125% turnover rate in just ten months--all of them resignations. I was astonished at how effortlessly the problem was attributed...always... to the last employee that walked out the door, never once considering that the matter may be with the hostile climate which drove them to leave.

My decision to leave this company was not an easy one. But contact with former colleagues helped corroborate my concerns as valid--each of them having witnessed astonishingly consistent patterns: team members were observed spoken to as children in front of others in meetings; another's path blocked in the hall to be subjected to an open scolding. Team members occasionally seen instructed to stop asking task-oriented questions of members in other departments, and one analyst warned against sharing ideas which, in one Director's opinion, were simply a 'waste' of time. Most of us in this team recounted a distinct sense of being 'professionally' harassed for exhibiting talent or drive exceeding whatever was considered "normal" for one's place. And departing team members have each raised these same concerns with Human Resources, in addition to at least one management level above. Unfortunately, all appear to have been unresponsive to their input..

All of this combined made for an environment where both reputation and rewards are tightly controlled. And this apparently works well--in spite of the fact that no one seems to stay in this team longer than a year, it's hard to see whether this company's highest leadership has taken notice of people's rapid departure as a sign of an ongoing problem at the management level. And it's a problem which shows no sign of relenting until someone finally decides it may be time for a change. If not for the team's sake, then for the sake of the company's stated mission to care for others as they would for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease re-examine leadership, and consider the cost of maintaining present course.

Worked for CHRISTUS Health? Contribute to the Community!