CIBT Reviews

John Donoghue

1. Visa/Passport Specialist

Current Employee - Visa & Passport Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Visa & Passport Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at CIBT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love customer service and assisting people with meeting their needs. For some this may be difficult but everyone doe not have customer service skills and this must come within yourself.

Cons

To me there are no cons because I love my job and I will continue to learn all I can about this industry so that I can grow personally and become the best Visa/Passport Specialist that I can be

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep striving to make your employees knowlegedable as well as continuing to help us to grow within the company. I thank you all for being there whenever needed and taking our feelings into consideration

Prepare yourself for slave like conditions

Former Employee - Travel Documentation Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Travel Documentation Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great full benefits including full health, dental, vision, transit benefits and 401K. Also there were great people that if you stay long enough will be your friends.

Cons

Where do I start? As others stated they expect you to do 2 times the amount of work they state SHOULD be average. This is because of high turnover, meaning they are always understaffed. Don't expect new hires to help out if you have been there for a while as they will be given small amounts of work and still struggle as their ability to hire effective people is non-existent. Pay is terrible for the amount of work they require and the prerequisites they insist upon for new hires. The head managers of the offices are usually great people but they don't understand what to look for in hiring (or their hands are tied by HR and they just hire whoever doesn't fail a background check). The middle mangers for the most part are corporate stooges who are there for the upper management in HQ and do nothing to really help the workers there. Only the "team leaders" are helpful to the workers. If you do make it past the first few months, you will learn that keeping a schedule is hard and you will be putting in overtime because there is so much work to get done and so little time to do it. Relationships will suffer unless you have an understand SO.

Advice to Management

If you have a good worker, treat them right. If you want to get good quality people right away, you need to pay a much better starting wage. This is especially true for the type of candidates you are looking for, but not willing to pay for. Group interviews for new hires would also be helpful. When I was there, it was the middle managers and team leaders who could predict who would make it and who would fail with a much higher accuracy than the head manager (director). Better raises would also help. Anyone who has been there for a year or longer should prove they have the heart and ability to be the type of long term worker you need and you should keep them happy and content.

3. You can do better

I worked at CIBT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits. Paid transportation Work environment

Cons

I worked here for a short time and personally, I did not learn anything to improve my work experience, I qualify the work environment as good between co workers but is also unprofessional in every aspect.

OK

Current Employee - Processing Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Processing Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at CIBT (More than a year)

Pros

Chance for advancement is ok

Cons

Company operates in a reactive mode

Advice to Management

Get with the program people

6. passport agent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the only reason i worked there is because it is easy to get in and there is a check every two weeks.

Cons

management is sneaky and can not be trusted.

Advice to Management

when something goes wrong investigate the problem and stop blaming the employee

7. It has its Ups and downs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Very informative, I have learned a lot about international travel . It's not a hostile environment like most call centers.

Cons

The lateral move when it comes to advancement.

Advice to Management

No comment

8. good

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the benefits are great and management is good

Cons

there is no room for growth

Advice to Management

to motivate employees who want to go grow within the company and to raise the minimum wage higher due to volume of work that the customer representative people and operations people do there.

No Room To Advance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learn alot of imformation regarding travel industry and visa and passport support.

Cons

Low pay and no advancement

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

Avoid. You can do better.

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm fortunate to have amiable coworkers and somewhat understanding local management. I really can't think of anything else positive to say about CIBT. I guess I got lucky at my office.

Cons

Corporate management (based out of suburban DC) is completely unappreciative of its employees. CIBT is the epitome of what's wrong with corporate America. They'll squeeze you until you're nothing but a soulless husk. They expect you to go well out of your way to please an often irrational customer base who have completely unreasonable expectations. We shouldn't even entertain customers who want, for instance, a Brazil visa completed in a day. That's ludicrous. That request should be refused outright. Instead, we accept the visa order, call the customer to advise, get yelled at and berated by the customer, then charge customer a cancellation fee, then there's an escalation and we get dinged for poor customer service for advising the customer that their visa goal is completely unrealistic. This is simply unethical. It's really a shady way of making a buck. It's also a complete waste of productivity to indulge such absurd requests. Furthermore, the pay and benefits are very much on the low end for an office job. For example, I got 2 days bereavement pay when my mother died earlier this year... 2 days. The rest came from the my paltry PTO balance. Utterly pathetic.

Advice to Management

Either fire yourselves, or start appreciating us, the visa and passport agents, who bring home the bacon. Your efforts to show employee appreciation have been paltry. A 1% annual raise for fair-to-good performance, when inflation is 1.9%? That's wage theft. For shame, for shame. $15.38/hour for San Francisco is a joke. You require a college degree for that awful pay? If the student loan bubble bursts, it'll be because of stingy employers, like you. Also, be more upfront with customers, and realize that when it comes to government bureaucracies to issue passports and visas, the customer isn't always right (and, in fact, often wrong).

Sweat shop

Pros

Little, if any. Little, if any.

Cons

1% raises? Pass on this sweatshop which is BTW owned by one or two investment firms which means the squeeze is on staff for profits. Management fails at every level. Avoid at any cost.

Advice to Management

Shut down the company. There is no future.

RSS Feed </> Embed