CIBT

Updated Mar 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Donoghue

CIBT has been a great company to work for with lots of advancement opportunities

ProsGood benefits paid for by the company, advancement opportunities

ConsSalaries are lower upon hire but benefits to compensate

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter systems are needed

It's a great place to work but there's little opportunity for growth

Visa and Passport Specialist (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI love most of my coworkers, and the atmosphere is very cooperative. I feel like my good work is appreciated, and I feel accountable for my work. The view from the office is magnificent (Millennium Park and Lake Michigan). Very predictable hours if you're a fast worker. Management is easy to get along with. Downtown location is very convenient.

ConsPay could be better, and raises are small. There is little opportunity to take initiative if you want to take more responsibility. There is little/no opportunity for advancement in the Chicago office unless someone were to leave. The work is pretty mundane but really not bad. Overtime can be necessary if you are slow or get a difficult file.

It's a good place to work.

Visa & Passport Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosemployees treated with respect, fun workplace culture, paid holidays, relatively flexible scheduling, work is not too exhausting, training is very good, full benefits

Consfew to no opportunities for advancement (it seems), extremely strict policies with regard to being on time, work is not hugely interesting

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They are not employee oriented

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThey simply lay of may people from CIBT because company running loss.

ConsIf the company running loss, they shouldn't higher the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take care your employee well

Always learning something new

Visa and Passport Specialist (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsMonday - Friday workplace, some overtime when needed,

Consdo not get normal vacation time or personal, sick days. have to accumulate hours in order to receive any time off.

Go in with a solid exit strategy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- interesting work--great for someone interested in learning about document requirements for visiting and working in other countries
    - good benefits for a single person (expensive to add family members)
    - PTO (if you can get it approved by management)

Cons- You are expected to have superhuman robotic abilities to perform excellent customer service while still making quotas within an 8-hour time frame.
    You do get overtime if you need to stay to complete the day's work, but prepare to get a job security threat speech if you do go over consistently. They won't tell you to work for free, but if you read between the lines, that's what they want the employees who don't make quotas to do to avoid having their job security threatened.
    - Lack of support.
    The nature of this work means that employees deal with frustrated, sometimes unpleasant or downright nasty, customers and bureaucratic government agencies, but when management constantly ridicules the employees for not explaining something just right to a customer (often asking employees to bend or dance around the truth to make the company look better) and threatens job security, it just makes an already challenging job unbearable.
    - No personal/sick days. 5 mo of the year have restricted time off
    Don't plan to get sick, injured, or have a family emergency/life event that would require you to take a day or 2 off. There is PTO, but it has to be approved by your manager ahead of time. Sometimes 1 day is enough notice, sometimes 6 weeks isn't enough--depends on how boss is feeling when you ask.
    - Little room for advancement and front line employees are disposable.
    There is very little room for advancement unless a manager leaves suddenly. Measly raises and incentive programs are a joke considering how hard you have to work and how perfect you have to be to get any positive recognition. All the while, prices for the services keep going up, but the front line employees, who are the face of the company to the customers, won't see a dime. Corporate and management make a show of asking for employee feedback, but completely disregard any suggestions for improving the work environment or customer experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow many times do reviewers have to remind you that happy employees equal happy customers? Your employees are not robots and no one deserves to be mistreated the way you mistreat your own employees. High turnover rates in a bad economy should tell you something. Stop playing games with people and handle the company in a mature, respectful, and honorable way.

Leadership Not Invested in Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsNext to the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner. Adjacent to the Tysons Galleria Mall. Global company that is growing rapidly.

ConsMost of the leadership is from MCI and has only been in place for 2 to 4 years. Clique environment. Employees are openly made fun of and sometimes ridiculed. Lack of long-term planning. Projects are managed inefficiently and rework is required in most cases. Directives are handed down and suggestions and feedback from employees are not considered. 360 reviews and feedback are non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor and invest in all of your employees. Build out a 10-15 year plan. Focus on building a business that will not fall apart once you are gone.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is a job, job, job.

ConsPressure and stress of meeting someone else' s deadline.

Run the other way

Agent/Support (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNothing worth mentioning. It sucks.

ConsWhere do I begin....it's awful. You put all your effort into doing a good job and it seems like the company is never satisfied with anything you do. All they're worried about is reaching this percentage that they will never attain because they treat employees like dog crap. They love to remind you how replaceable you are. It's like they're blackmailing you with your job because they know the job market is terrible right now. So they think its ok to treat you like a cage animal. They need to realize in order for a company to be successful your employees need to be happy. It's a simple equation. You're paid basically minimum wage and they want pHd results. You get what you pay for. Also they charge travelers way to much money for these services that they offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with dignity and respect. Maybe you'll then reach the companies overall goal.

Poor experience all around

Visa and Passport Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEasy to land a job at CIBT due to high turnover

ConsManagement is often unaware of the atmosphere that is created amongst the employees, only gets involved when there is a major problem

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring from outside and start building leaders from amongst the lower level employees

Worked for CIBT? Contribute to the Community!