CIBT

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
2.1

John Donoghue

Avoid. You can do better.

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CIBT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm fortunate to have amiable coworkers and somewhat understanding local management. I really can't think of anything else positive to say about CIBT. I guess I got lucky at my office.

Cons

Corporate management (based out of suburban DC) is completely unappreciative of its employees. CIBT is the epitome of what's wrong with corporate America. They'll squeeze you until you're nothing but a soulless husk. They expect you to go well out of your way to please an often irrational customer base who have completely unreasonable expectations. We shouldn't even entertain customers who want, for instance, a Brazil visa completed in a day. That's ludicrous. That request should be refused outright. Instead, we accept the visa order, call the customer to advise, get yelled at and berated by the customer, then charge customer a cancellation fee, then there's an escalation and we get dinged for poor customer service for advising the customer that their visa goal is completely unrealistic. This is simply unethical. It's really a shady way of making a buck. It's also a complete waste of productivity to indulge such absurd requests.

Furthermore, the pay and benefits are very much on the low end for an office job. For example, I got 2 days bereavement pay when my mother died earlier this year... 2 days. The rest came from the my paltry PTO balance. Utterly pathetic.

Either fire yourselves, or start appreciating us, the visa and passport agents, who bring home the bacon. Your efforts to show employee appreciation have been paltry. A 1% annual raise for fair-to-good performance, when inflation is 1.9%? That's wage theft. For shame, for shame. $15.38/hour for San Francisco is a joke. You require a college degree for that awful pay? If the student loan bubble bursts, it'll be because of stingy employers, like you. Also, be more upfront with customers, and realize that when it comes to government bureaucracies to issue passports and visas, the customer isn't always right (and, in fact, often wrong).

Sweat shop

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

Little, if any. Little, if any.

Cons

1% raises? Pass on this sweatshop which is BTW owned by one or two investment firms which means the squeeze is on staff for profits. Management fails at every level. Avoid at any cost.

Shut down the company. There is no future.

terrible managment

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at CIBT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

exciting and fast-paced, interesting as requirements are always changing,meet new people

Cons

terrible management, no training but they expect you to be perfect, work you to the ground, unappreciative, no benefits or rewards.

Listen and respect your employees. We are the ones doing all the work to make your company successful yet you treat everyone like robots. show some appreciation, recognition, support, even some incentives to keep everyone motivated stead of always saying we are not doing good enough even though we are working as hard as possible and doing the best we can.

Run the other way

Current Employee - Agent/Support in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Agent/Support in Washington, DC

I have been working at CIBT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing worth mentioning. It sucks.

Cons

Where do I begin....it's awful. You put all your effort into doing a good job and it seems like the company is never satisfied with anything you do. All they're worried about is reaching this percentage that they will never attain because they treat employees like dog crap. They love to remind you how replaceable you are. It's like they're blackmailing you with your job because they know the job market is terrible right now. So they think its ok to treat you like a cage animal. They need to realize in order for a company to be successful your employees need to be happy. It's a simple equation. You're paid basically minimum wage and they want pHd results. You get what you pay for. Also they charge travelers way to much money for these services that they offer.

Treat your employees with dignity and respect. Maybe you'll then reach the companies overall goal.

Poor experience all around

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at CIBT full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to land a job at CIBT due to high turnover

Cons

Management is often unaware of the atmosphere that is created amongst the employees, only gets involved when there is a major problem

Stop hiring from outside and start building leaders from amongst the lower level employees

Horrible

I worked at CIBT full-time

Pros

Fair with PTO for the most part

Cons

Terrible environment, management does not care about employees as much as they care about pleasing corporate

Be a bit more reasonable with employee expectations.

Unbelievable - Inhuman

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at CIBT full-time

Pros

nothing worth mention that would make it better

Cons

-Under staffed
    -Over worked
    -Unprofessional management
    -Unsanitary work place
    -Broken down equipment
    -Offensive conversation topics

Treat your employees like human. Ever took the time to wonder why employees are dropping like flies . Build your employees don't belittle them , remember happy motivated employees equals happy customers equals successful company. BTW keep an watchful eye on your so call management team , you might also enjoy their Facebook comments and online shopping experiences while on company time and everyone is slaving away

Avoid this place like the plague!!

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CIBT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It offers health insurance. But that's about it.

Cons

Low pay for all the stress and harassment you'll receive. Unless someone quits, gets fired or dies, there is absolutely NO room for advancement. Pay raises are never more then a measly 30 cents or so. The harder you work, the more you'll be harassed and ridiculed. A compliment is never given without a gripe about your ability to do your job, even if you're an excellent employee doing your best. Expect to be be threatened with a "job security" speech daily. Vacation is offered, but at least 5 months out of the year are restricted. And when only 1 person can take time off at a time, you wonder what the point of even offering it is. Don't expect to have a life outside of CIBT. You're expected to be a robot with no feelings or life of your own outside of work. Upper management in the corporate office is a mess. They couldn't care less about their employees, talk poorly about employees to other employees, make big mistakes and poor choices and then force their employees to fix the problems. Company is extremely profit driven and will work you into the ground until you just can't take it anymore. But don't ever expect to benefit from rising profits aside from the measly salary you'll take home. Employees, especially long term employees are leaving right and left whether or not they have something else lined up. In this economy, that has to tell you something...

Realize that your employees are people, not robots. Start treating them with respect and stop harassing them. Stop writing people up for getting sick or for having to tend to a family emergency. And most importantly, realize that happy employees = happy customers. Your current business model is going to drive CIBT right into the ground. This used to be a great place to work, but as of 3 years ago, it's now one of the worst. It's time to wake up and realize this.

Visa specialist

I have been working at CIBT full-time

Pros

Few of them, perhaps the fact that healthcare is good enough but it is not saying much considering how healthcare is expensive and treated differently by companies.

Cons

Many. Restricted time off (5 months out of the year!), stress and pressure, overtime (paid but still, it seems to be impossible to avoid it without missing key deadlines), constant victimization from both countries attended to and management which commits many, many mistakes that are suffered by the front line people, obsession with customer service when little of it is rendered by management itself which comes across as completely incompetent, obsession with profits at all costs and mostly at the detriment of the front line staff and middle management.

My advice to anyone considering employment there is don' t! You will thank me for it.

PLEASE Don't waste your time.

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

Great group of staff members to work with

Cons

Company gives two cents about its day to day employees

Treat staff members with respect as they do matter and are what continues to bring in the travelers