CIBT

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
2.1

John Donoghue

PLEASE Don't waste your time.

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

Great group of staff members to work with

Cons

Company gives two cents about its day to day employees

Treat staff members with respect as they do matter and are what continues to bring in the travelers

Overworked and underpaid.

I worked at CIBT

Pros

Maybe because management was so bad, my coworkers and I bonded fairly quickly and strongly over our mutual dislike of our boss. So, you definitely feel part of a team.

Cons

Everything else. Pay. Hours. Management. Advancement. These were all terrible.

Invest in people instead of being okay with the incredibly high turnover rate.

Go in with a solid exit strategy

I worked at CIBT full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- interesting work--great for someone interested in learning about document requirements for visiting and working in other countries
    - good benefits for a single person (expensive to add family members)
    - PTO (if you can get it approved by management)

Cons

- You are expected to have superhuman robotic abilities to perform excellent customer service while still making quotas within an 8-hour time frame.
    You do get overtime if you need to stay to complete the day's work, but prepare to get a job security threat speech if you do go over consistently. They won't tell you to work for free, but if you read between the lines, that's what they want the employees who don't make quotas to do to avoid having their job security threatened.
    - Lack of support.
    The nature of this work means that employees deal with frustrated, sometimes unpleasant or downright nasty, customers and bureaucratic government agencies, but when management constantly ridicules the employees for not explaining something just right to a customer (often asking employees to bend or dance around the truth to make the company look better) and threatens job security, it just makes an already challenging job unbearable.
    - No personal/sick days. 5 mo of the year have restricted time off
    Don't plan to get sick, injured, or have a family emergency/life event that would require you to take a day or 2 off. There is PTO, but it has to be approved by your manager ahead of time. Sometimes 1 day is enough notice, sometimes 6 weeks isn't enough--depends on how boss is feeling when you ask.
    - Little room for advancement and front line employees are disposable.
    There is very little room for advancement unless a manager leaves suddenly. Measly raises and incentive programs are a joke considering how hard you have to work and how perfect you have to be to get any positive recognition. All the while, prices for the services keep going up, but the front line employees, who are the face of the company to the customers, won't see a dime. Corporate and management make a show of asking for employee feedback, but completely disregard any suggestions for improving the work environment or customer experience.

How many times do reviewers have to remind you that happy employees equal happy customers? Your employees are not robots and no one deserves to be mistreated the way you mistreat your own employees. High turnover rates in a bad economy should tell you something. Stop playing games with people and handle the company in a mature, respectful, and honorable way.

Leadership Not Invested in Employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at CIBT

Pros

Next to the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner. Adjacent to the Tysons Galleria Mall. Global company that is growing rapidly.

Cons

Most of the leadership is from MCI and has only been in place for 2 to 4 years. Clique environment. Employees are openly made fun of and sometimes ridiculed. Lack of long-term planning. Projects are managed inefficiently and rework is required in most cases. Directives are handed down and suggestions and feedback from employees are not considered. 360 reviews and feedback are non-existent.

Mentor and invest in all of your employees. Build out a 10-15 year plan. Focus on building a business that will not fall apart once you are gone.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

It is a job, job, job.

Cons

Pressure and stress of meeting someone else' s deadline.

Avoid. You can do better.

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CIBT full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm fortunate to have amiable coworkers and somewhat understanding local management. I really can't think of anything else positive to say about CIBT. I guess I got lucky at my office.

Cons

Corporate management (based out of suburban DC) is completely unappreciative of its employees. CIBT is the epitome of what's wrong with corporate America. They'll squeeze you until you're nothing but a soulless husk. They expect you to go well out of your way to please an often irrational customer base who have completely unreasonable expectations. We shouldn't even entertain customers who want, for instance, a Brazil visa completed in a day. That's ludicrous. That request should be refused outright. Instead, we accept the visa order, call the customer to advise, get yelled at and berated by the customer, then charge customer a cancellation fee, then there's an escalation and we get dinged for poor customer service for advising the customer that their visa goal is completely unrealistic. This is simply unethical. It's really a shady way of making a buck. It's also a complete waste of productivity to indulge such absurd requests.

Furthermore, the pay and benefits are very much on the low end for an office job. For example, I got 2 days bereavement pay when my mother died earlier this year... 2 days. The rest came from the my paltry PTO balance. Utterly pathetic.

Either fire yourselves, or start appreciating us, the visa and passport agents, who bring home the bacon. Your efforts to show employee appreciation have been paltry. A 1% annual raise for fair-to-good performance, when inflation is 1.9%? That's wage theft. For shame, for shame. $15.38/hour for San Francisco is a joke. You require a college degree for that awful pay? If the student loan bubble bursts, it'll be because of stingy employers, like you. Also, be more upfront with customers, and realize that when it comes to government bureaucracies to issue passports and visas, the customer isn't always right (and, in fact, often wrong).

Sweat shop

I have been working at CIBT

Pros

Little, if any. Little, if any.

Cons

1% raises? Pass on this sweatshop which is BTW owned by one or two investment firms which means the squeeze is on staff for profits. Management fails at every level. Avoid at any cost.

Shut down the company. There is no future.

terrible managment

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at CIBT full-time (more than a year)

Pros

exciting and fast-paced, interesting as requirements are always changing,meet new people

Cons

terrible management, no training but they expect you to be perfect, work you to the ground, unappreciative, no benefits or rewards.

Listen and respect your employees. We are the ones doing all the work to make your company successful yet you treat everyone like robots. show some appreciation, recognition, support, even some incentives to keep everyone motivated stead of always saying we are not doing good enough even though we are working as hard as possible and doing the best we can.

Run the other way

Current Employee - Agent/Support in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Agent/Support in Washington, DC

I have been working at CIBT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing worth mentioning. It sucks.

Cons

Where do I begin....it's awful. You put all your effort into doing a good job and it seems like the company is never satisfied with anything you do. All they're worried about is reaching this percentage that they will never attain because they treat employees like dog crap. They love to remind you how replaceable you are. It's like they're blackmailing you with your job because they know the job market is terrible right now. So they think its ok to treat you like a cage animal. They need to realize in order for a company to be successful your employees need to be happy. It's a simple equation. You're paid basically minimum wage and they want pHd results. You get what you pay for. Also they charge travelers way to much money for these services that they offer.

Treat your employees with dignity and respect. Maybe you'll then reach the companies overall goal.

Poor experience all around

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at CIBT full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to land a job at CIBT due to high turnover

Cons

Management is often unaware of the atmosphere that is created amongst the employees, only gets involved when there is a major problem

Stop hiring from outside and start building leaders from amongst the lower level employees