CIO Executive Council Reviews

Updated January 9, 2015
5 reviews filtered by
1.3
CEO

1. Great company, great team!

Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative & Creative team lead this organization. If you are looking to cut your teeth in high-level membership based business model, this is the place to go and stay.

Cons

There really are not a lot of cons. They pay well, are focussed on the right things in general, and the management team is smart, fun and creative.

2. Blackhole for a career move

Former Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only benefits came from the parent company, IDG.

Cons

This company is so poorly ran, that I would be shocked to see them still around in 3 years. I've never been a part of something so chaotic and disorganized in my life. The strategy, or lack thereof, changes with the quarters. Everything is based on reaction, and sales is usually the one tasked to pick up the slack, without any compensation to go along with it. The leadership team rules with an iron fist, and could not be more un-motivating. The promotions are directly linked to making the executive team look good, and takes the focus off how poorly they are doing running the company. The employee morale has been at an all time low for the past year+. And the deception through the interview process is almost as bad as the reporting of the performance of the company. We were told almost every sales rep was around the 100% to quota mark, when all of the team besides 1 rep finished below 60% for the entire FY2014. If you are looking for a place to advance your sales career, this is not that place. You will get stuck bringing home a base salary, with very small commission checks every few months.

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire leadership team, and bring in new, fresh ideas and motivators. The team in place now is on the opposite end of that.

3. Dont waste your time

I worked at CIO Executive Council

Pros

Great benefits as part of IDG Enterprise

Cons

No sales training, no support by way of mentoring, schizophrenic leadership, and nepotism accurately describe the Council.
    There is no long term strategy and personal margin goals drive business decisions, often at the expense of the companies sustainability and morale.
    Recent grads give this place a look maybe to get your feet wet and help in the rebuilding process after the CEC collapses under the weight of its incompetent leadership team. Seasoned professionals stay away this place is a career killer and will only leave you feeling misled, used and devalued.

Advice to Management

Listen to your clients. Listen to your sales team. CIOs will share what they want and need if you will just stop talking and listen.

5. Horrible company- poorly ran, terrible executive team. I do not recommend this company to anyone looking

Current Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CIO Executive Council full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are backed by IDG, with IDG's HR team and benefits.

Cons

This is the worst lead company I have ever been a part of. The President is rude and obnoxious, and leads by threats, negativity, and is all talk about herself and her "illustrious" career, when she needs to learn to lead with actions and motivation. This president and her team are so poor at decision making, everything is done re-actively, and the focus for any and every employees changes with what is being asked of her from her boss. If you do not align yourself with her executive team, you are expendable. I have never been part of a company with so many unhappy employees.

Advice to Management

The entire management team needs to go. Practice what you preach, and be much less functional.

6. Worst decision of my career....It didn't help that they, the Sales Manager, was deceitful during the interview process.

Former Employee - Council Services in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Council Services in Framingham, MA

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pros for working with the CIO Executive Council is that they are backed by IDG and you get all the benefits that you would receive from a large organization. Thats about it.

Cons

There are many cons...IDG as a whole works in a very decentralized way which allows some "bad apples" to find their way into positions that would be better served by someone else. As the headline suggest, the Sales Manager was deceitful during the interview process. NR is what we all have come to know in the industry as a PIMM. When I went through the interview process, she clearly lied or is oblivious to what a micro manager is. She is a PIMM. In addition, they also lied about the track that this division of the company is on. The say that they are growing but in actuality they are are just moving people within the organization and consolidating positions. Also, they say that they promote from with in and this is true to an extent. But what they do not tell you is that there is a serious case of cronyism at all levels. So if you have an issue with the SM or anyone, good luck. Also, if you have short or long term ambitions to be a manager, its safe to say it won't be for or with the CIO Executive Council.

Advice to Management

It's time to clear out the Executive team all the way down to the Sales Manager