CIT

CIT Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

CIT Chairman and CEO John A. Thain

John A. Thain

Pros
  • Depending on which department you are in, you usually have a great work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is not in touch with all of the businesses(in 7 reviews)

• this was once a good company but senior management team broke it and continue to drive this ship in the dirt with reckless abandon(in 4 reviews)

Company on the move

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGood company to work for, good culture, nice people

ConsGood company, can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Experience depends on the department

IT Developer (Current Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGreat Leadership if you are in the finance departments. John Thain really is a visionary and brilliant manager. Good salaries and flexible work/life balance in general.

ConsTerrible IT leadership. The CIO brought in 10 managers from UBS to secretly offshore/outsource the IT staff. They are killing morale and destroying the ability of the IT staff teams to deliver on any projects. One manager is dumber than the next and they are only focused on their bonuses. I've never worked for a company where EVERYONE in IT that wasn't a manager was looking for a job - It's incredible and really sad since you have some great people in the organization.

Also very tough for women to work under this crew. They really think it's 1970 - You wouldn't believe the wildly inappropriate comments that come out of this UBS crew.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the lot of them and put in IT management that actually cares about the overall corporate goals and isn't trying to get around labor laws by driving out the existing staff.

No direction - bad place for women

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat mid-level management team. Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role.

ConsNo strategic direction. Disturbingly high number of senior executives without requisite skill set to perform effectively. Token female representation in leadership team. Senior women often pushed aside to provide development opportunities for men. In general, lip service paid to employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management needs to be rebalanced with experienced bank managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hostile IT work environment in survivor mode.

Vice President (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsMy particular group was fantastic, but almost all either left or were let go. The only good news is that they gave me an excellent package and large bonus, but I can only assume that this will be changed soon, so don't count on it. The new CIO brought in some good directors, but let all the worker bees go. Now what did that cost?

ConsThe IT department is a hostile work environment. There are people there who can only be described as needing medication. Processes date from the 80's. There is a Mainframe mentality. May I quote : "What's wrong with mainframe?". This company is in survivor mode after going through a bankruptcy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some 360 feedbacks. You have not got a clue who your best people are and are not.

Broken Model

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGood hard working middle level people

ConsBroken business model, lack of clear leadership, all tactical no strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementSell

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagement listened to workers ideas

ConsInter office politics can be a problem

Just another paycheck

Vice President (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsFlexible work hours, really nice cafeteria...that's about it. Oh, if you're in the right department, and know the right people, and say the right things, you could do OK.

ConsFrom the tech dept. perspective. Too many consultants who are only interested in their current position and will leave the second something higher paying comes along. No long term outlook. Constantly shifting goals. Lots of layoffs, it has been almost a constant several times a year for the last five years. No one there that is over 30 actually does work anymore, they all direct "offshore" people. Onerous paperwork and regulations. Almost seems like you have to fill out a form to use the rest room. There's more, but I won't bother.

Great Company

Intern (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsWell-paid for an intern, great experience, very good management.

ConsSome of the people are difficult to work around.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more effective employees for operations. Difficult to work while so many employees are so negative toward/about one another

A changing culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGenerally speaking, good, hardworking people. Financial Analysts get solid exposure to all levels within their business, so a lot of on-the-job learning happens fast - a good growth opportunity. Bonuses in the Corporate Finance segment are generally pretty good. Managers are usually good about work-life balance. Company came through bankruptcy and has a high-profile CEO who can get a seat at most any table in the finance and political world. Generally good benefits package, though it's being whittled away a bit.

ConsPromotions hard to come by. Salaries not always equitable among peers. While there are opportunities for internal mobility, good luck getting a raise; significant downward pressure on salaries, so while an external hire might get a 10% hike over their last base, an internal might get 0-4%. New crop of Exec-level leaders are turning a formerly-familial culture into a sterile, not-fun culture. Cultural silos exist from location to location.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and communicate better. Invest in your employees.

Great team environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture
    Ability to work for and with highly skilled individuals
    Merit driven appreciation, not political
    Employees treated with respect, equitable
    High growth potential
    Overall great place to work and grow professionally

ConsOperations could be more efficient, updated
    Funding resources

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp streamline process and execution. You have outstanding employees. If you can give them the tools to drive faster execution, sky's the limit for CIT.

Worked for CIT? Contribute to the Community!