CIT

CIT Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

CIT Chairman and CEO John A. Thain

John A. Thain

Pros
  • Depending on which department you are in, you usually have a great work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is not in touch with all of the businesses(in 7 reviews)

• this was once a good company but senior management team broke it and continue to drive this ship in the dirt with reckless abandon(in 4 reviews)

Good People

Senior Technologist (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGood people, Relatively well organized, A decent mission as far a Finance goes, Global footprint, Diverse business

ConsMany layers of bureaucracy, Competing priorities, A kingdom of fiefdoms, never fully recovered form 2008 financial meltdown/bankruptcy, Some confusion about true market position

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be Goldman

Experience depends on the department

IT Developer (Current Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGreat Leadership if you are in the finance departments. John Thain really is a visionary and brilliant manager. Good salaries and flexible work/life balance in general.

ConsTerrible IT leadership. The CIO brought in 10 managers from UBS to secretly offshore/outsource the IT staff. They are killing morale and destroying the ability of the IT staff teams to deliver on any projects. One manager is dumber than the next and they are only focused on their bonuses. I've never worked for a company where EVERYONE in IT that wasn't a manager was looking for a job - It's incredible and really sad since you have some great people in the organization.

Also very tough for women to work under this crew. They really think it's 1970 - You wouldn't believe the wildly inappropriate comments that come out of this UBS crew.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the lot of them and put in IT management that actually cares about the overall corporate goals and isn't trying to get around labor laws by driving out the existing staff.

Company on the move

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGood company to work for, good culture, nice people

ConsGood company, can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No direction - bad place for women

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat mid-level management team. Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role.

ConsNo strategic direction. Disturbingly high number of senior executives without requisite skill set to perform effectively. Token female representation in leadership team. Senior women often pushed aside to provide development opportunities for men. In general, lip service paid to employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management needs to be rebalanced with experienced bank managers.

Hostile IT work environment in survivor mode.

Vice President (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsMy particular group was fantastic, but almost all either left or were let go. The only good news is that they gave me an excellent package and large bonus, but I can only assume that this will be changed soon, so don't count on it. The new CIO brought in some good directors, but let all the worker bees go. Now what did that cost?

ConsThe IT department is a hostile work environment. There are people there who can only be described as needing medication. Processes date from the 80's. There is a Mainframe mentality. May I quote : "What's wrong with mainframe?". This company is in survivor mode after going through a bankruptcy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some 360 feedbacks. You have not got a clue who your best people are and are not.

Broken Model

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGood hard working middle level people

ConsBroken business model, lack of clear leadership, all tactical no strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementSell

Just another paycheck

Vice President (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsFlexible work hours, really nice cafeteria...that's about it. Oh, if you're in the right department, and know the right people, and say the right things, you could do OK.

ConsFrom the tech dept. perspective. Too many consultants who are only interested in their current position and will leave the second something higher paying comes along. No long term outlook. Constantly shifting goals. Lots of layoffs, it has been almost a constant several times a year for the last five years. No one there that is over 30 actually does work anymore, they all direct "offshore" people. Onerous paperwork and regulations. Almost seems like you have to fill out a form to use the rest room. There's more, but I won't bother.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagement listened to workers ideas

ConsInter office politics can be a problem

Great Company

Intern (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsWell-paid for an intern, great experience, very good management.

ConsSome of the people are difficult to work around.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more effective employees for operations. Difficult to work while so many employees are so negative toward/about one another

Great place to work, Worst place to earn money

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Campinas, São Paulo (Brazil)

ProsHere I can learn a lot of technologies
    The colleagues are friendly
    The leaders are always with the teams

ConsSometimes the salary policy is confusing
    The profit sharing is a joke
    On the last year, the company lost a lot of good professionals by a lack of clarity in strategic decisions (salary, career planning, technologies, projects and investments in education)
    There is a disparity between what is said and what is done. Leaders ask for certifications, courses, availability and other languages​​, but don´t give opportunity to exercise these skills. The good opportunities are for those who are nearby the leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to valorize those that really done something for the company and the projects, not to those just want enjoy the opportunity to improve the salary.

Worked for CIT? Contribute to the Community!