CIT

CIT Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

CIT Chairman and CEO John A. Thain

John A. Thain

Pros
  • Depending on which department you are in, you usually have a great work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• Good benefits package and reasonable work/life balance depending on role(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is not in touch with all of the businesses(in 7 reviews)

• this was once a good company but senior management team broke it and continue to drive this ship in the dirt with reckless abandon(in 4 reviews)

Interesting time at CIT Group

ProsGreat employees who work hard

ConsBelief that current employees don't have the skills needed

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to get the job done

CIT is a great place to work for if you want quiet office life.

Business Analysis (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsQuiet, relaxed environment, decent pay, friendly employees

ConsRarely see young employees and the office is too dull

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more young talents

Was a great company before bankruptcy in 2009. Now the focus is on shareholder approval and cutting expenses.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsThe people that work there are genuinely good people. The location is convientent for those that drive

ConsThe senior management is lousy, It appears the company is trimming cost to sell the company. Leasing is not the most exciting industry to work in.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on adding revenue and not cutting expenses

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CIT Rail rewards results, takes risks promoting internal candidates to new opportunities.

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsWith an established practice of hiring internally to fill top positions and filling lower positions externally, CIT Rail is an excellent place to grow and have a career.

CIT Rail is very difficult to get into, the compay hires only the very best and brightest people it can find so you're always working with people you can respect and that respect you. Fit (group dynamic) is just as important as formal qualifications in the interview process so it's actually a fun environment to work in.

CIT Rail managment respects work life balance, I work very reasonable hours and as long as my work gets done very well, my manager allows me a lot of freedom with my time.

ConsThe onboarding process at CIT can be a bit slow, but it's definitely worth the wait.

When everyone on your team is smart, hard working, and looking to impress it can be difficult to stand out. Managment is cognisant of the fact that its working with the cream of the crop, expectations are very high but accomplishments are definitely rewarded.

CIT has become a bank holding company. For those of us who were here before, the environment feels more tightly controlled, less free, more guarded. I've heard from others who worked at other banks before or who have since moved to other banks, CIT Rail feels more laid back and relaxed than other banks though it is adequately controlled.

Low Morale in IT Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

Prosmany people stay at CIT for a long time

ConsIT Department has had multiple layoffs in recent years leading to low morale and fears of total outsourcing of IT. Culture is focused on compliance and not technology. limited room for internal growth. majority of high-level positions have gone to new hires and not internal candidates. Business has low regard for IT department and thinks of them as an expense only.

CIT post Bankruptcy

Director (Former Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsNew C level team has smarts, and getting out from under a C & D is big step

ConsMiddle manage is same fools that allowed firm to fail, allworried that Thain will get rid of them he seems to have given them a chance to get on board, but most are just worthless self important over paid spinners

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the nest of Snaks you have as P&L leaders and back up the CCO

stagnant. Oppresive working atmosphere.

Originations (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosdecent med and dental benefits. Nice coworkers. Good central location in Jax Fl. Decent shift work. Close to shops and restaurants.

ConsLow morale. Little or no advancement opportunities. Absentee mgmt. Bonuses unfairly distributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Corp in NJ I say start fresh with Jax mgmt from top to bottom. Train your mgrs. Stop tge nepotism in hiribg and promotion process. Fire HR Mgrs. Curent staff does not want to get involved in employee complaints. They rat you out! You get black-balled.

Grab a life jacket as the CIT ship has BIG holes and the ride will be rough!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Livingston, NJ

Pros1) Immediate colleagues, though numbers have been dwindling due to numerous RIFs
    2) Decent benefits and telecommuting option
    3) Okay RIF package from what I have heard

Cons1) Since emerging from bankruptcy, CIT has been trying to act like a bank with limited success.
    2) Too many MDs/Directors and not enough people who do substantive work.
    3) Compliance has been heavily staffed up, but business lines have experienced numerous RIFs.
    4) Cumbersome and idiosyncratic credit process that is slow to react to market changes.
    5) Extremely low employee morale due to continuous RIFs, reorganizations, merger rumors, portfolio sell-offs, etc.
    6) Very limited career advancement opportunity based on who you know rather than what you know.
    7) Antique IT systems.

Advice to Senior Management1) Concise and substantive credit proposals should be the norm rather than lengthy check-the-box dissertations.
    2) While it may be easy for credit to say no, that is not conducive to generating income when we are already so light on assets.
    3) Propose rational credit enhancements/structural changes rather than idealistic wish lists that are out-of-sync with the market.

Good Company..If you like doing one thing.

Associate (Current Employee) Livingston, NJ

ProsGood location, Nice people, relaxed enviornment. Competitve salaries for the area. Workload is spread out and divided equally.Decent benefits package. A lot of different departments that you can move to If you want to expand and/or change career paths.

ConsAll work is done and managed by a seperate department, which makes it hard to expand your skill set for other things. Managment needs to have more communication with the employees to give the workers a better idea of the direction that the company is trying to take. CIT is a good place for older employees who are looking for a place to make money and ride into the sunset into retirement. For a young person who wants to grow and learn this is not the company for you. Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with your employees because it will make them feel more apart of the vision of the company.

decent pay but very dull routine job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly employees, quite, laid-back environment, independently hard-working

Consmaybe not for young people, everyday is very dull

Worked for CIT? Contribute to the Community!