CITGO Refining

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.4

Alejandro Granado

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Safety Manager in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Safety Manager in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at CITGO Refining full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people there are friendly and welcoming. They promote a work life balance and always made me feel like part of the family.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. It is a refinery so of course there are many hazards, but they take the measures to ensure safety.

Keep on your path. Your employees, myself included were all very happy with the way we were treated.

Citgo

I have been working at CITGO Refining

Pros

Good pay, nice location, fair hours

Cons

Hot weather, hard work, long days

Politics not Qualifications

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

I have been working at CITGO Refining full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provide decent pay and benefits

Cons

Very disorganized
    Positions are awarded based on who you know rather than qualifications
    Management has no regard for its employees
    Lack of training in all areas

Correct the cons. Provide more training for all employees, take time to evaluate employees qualifications for positions offered.

Intense work environment that preaches employee importance but often behaves in an opposite manner.

I have been working at CITGO Refining full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great experience to take to another job if looking to move up a level.
    The personnel that have stuck around, below senior management level, are good people that are dedicated to their jobs and the people that work for them.

Cons

Corporate leadership is more and more Venezuelan led and their priorities are different than non-Venezuelans.
    Corporate support is often non-existent, they don't like to take a stand too often

Stop saying you're "looking into that concern" and actually take action.
    Too much reliance on 3rd pary "studies" that aren't comparing apples to apples.
    Recognize that locations/departments are understaffed and overworked (see statement about reliance on 3rd party studies).
    Morale is very low as employee surveys aren't asking the right questions and there is fear of reprisal.

Good job, bad company

Current Employee - Process Engineering in Lemont, IL
    Current Employee - Process Engineering in Lemont, IL

I have been working at CITGO Refining full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable older workforce, good pay, concerned about community they work in, making a profit year after year (bonuses have been consistent)

Cons

Can't seem to keep younger engineers, short-sighted management, not investing in sustainable projects, not the best place to advance your technical career, seems like most of the profit gets sent back to Venezuela at the end of every year and then our billion-dollar company has annual budget cuts!
    The work ethic expectation follows the mgmt style: drop everything and put out the next fire. The company seems to have unlimited resource for addressing urgent matters rather than important matters, as witnessed by the number of senior staff that reports to every unplanned production outage.
    As an engineer, if you are not seen in your FRC, you have no chance of success.

If you want to run the place like a Venezuelan business, then do not ask for optimization or improvement ideas -- just band-aid things together and continue to run to failure. That will save you $$ and reduce staffing, both positives for your Solomon numbers.

Great place to intern

Former Employee - Process Technical Support Intern in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Process Technical Support Intern in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at CITGO Refining as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-meaningful projects
    -Helpful management
    -Laid-back environment
    -Hands-on, real world problem solving

Cons

No major cons found throughout the 3 month assignment.

Don't stop or cutback on the interns hired each year.

Great Co. Needing Better Leaders

Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at CITGO Refining

Pros

I was impressed with the pay considering it was very close (under by a little) to another competitor. The benefits were on par with every other company and retirement package was good. I think it was about 8%. Most of the staff here were very professional, friendly, helpful at all times.

Cons

The small percentage of staff were very unprofessional, unhelpful, and at times would dissapear before meetings. Project leaders could not keep up with staff most of the time. Company was not prepared for the interns which led to projects starting late and coming to fruition as expected. Overall, I did NOT learn anything.

Management should be available, professional, prepared, and give assistance when needed. Even though other projects are the focus of the company, give attention to all responsibilities or find somebody to help you lead.

Nothing to good or too bad, just average

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at CITGO Refining

Pros

- Responsibilities since day one
    - Autonomy to perform work
    - High colaboration across departments
    - Excellent retirement package

Cons

- Low possibilities for professional growth
    - Advancement is possible, but employees must follow management's book with no objections
    - Long hours

- Redefine the career system inside the company, so people can clearly identified a path
    - Do not impose a change in positions without just telling the people the day before

It is not perfect, but it is a good job.

Current Employee - Operator Technician in Lemont, IL
    Current Employee - Operator Technician in Lemont, IL

I have been working at CITGO Refining

Pros

I work at a refinery. It was bought by Citgo before I arrived. So my answer only deals with the refinery where I work, not the whole of Citgo refining and chemicals.

The best part about working for Citgo is the MONEY, and the fact that it provides, at least for now, a pension and health insurance at age 55 and at least 5 years of service upon retirement.

For the most part, the actual daily work is not physically demanding or difficult. Although when equipment breaks down there is the potential for deadly situations. The work can be interesting and challenging at times..
    Truth be told, this is one of the few remaining good blue collar jobs.

Cons

The biggest downside is the schedule. I work a swing shift based on 8hrs. There is a a lot of overtime which is both a blessing and a curse. A lot of times it feels like I am "living my job". It seems like I am either at work, going to work, coming home from work, or sleeping to get prepared for work.

Also I am exposed or at least the potential exists for me to be exposed to chemicals/fumes that can have a disastrous affect on my health.

Stop trying to justify your job by thinking up time consuming and petty rules. Enforcement of safety rules shouldn't be about gotcha tactics. Recognize the everyday knowledge that operators have in dealing with equipment and systems that may only be theoretical to you, and LISTEN to our suggestions.