CJ Banks

Good entry-level sales experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at CJ Banks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Build great customer service skills
    Learn sales techniques
    Build relationships with colleagues
    Perfect part-time job for college or university student

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up in the company
    Low pay/ limited raises
    Lack of listening from upper management

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Key-holder in Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Key-holder in Woodbury, MN

I worked at CJ Banks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

They hired me as a part-time key holder and had me working 30-40 hrs per week doing managerial duties but didn't want to make me full time. At my year review I got a 25 cent raise. Most of the clothes were not cute and were priced really high for the quality. There weren't that many employees for each store so taking time off was almost impossible.

Company Falling Apart

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Watertown, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Watertown, NY

I worked at CJ Banks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quiet atmosphere, older customers, no overnight shifts

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, rare to give anyone a raise, no bonuses. District and above does not listen to their employees including store managers for advice. The products are very dated and their e-mail system is severely outdated and takes a very long time to load. Most management pass the buck off to the next person coming in and the company has ridiculous demands for signing up customers for "fashion shows". Also be prepared to harrass people over the phone doing cold calls - spamming ads!

Update your product line and how you're handling business as a whole or you're going to be completely bankrupt within 4 years or less.

This job is for someone who wants to slow down

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at CJ Banks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts-50% They want you to wear their clothing. They are very wearable.
    The customers are great. They are loyal to the brand. I loved the daily reports. You know where you stand in sales,.What you rank in the dist. and region. Great schedule. If you had a good store location you can make bonus.

Cons

You do a lot of phone calling. You have to reach a certain number every month. Fashion shows every month . Grassroots. Getting their name out there on your time. Selling credit.
    If you don't reach your credit limit you get in trouble. I did not want to write up someone for not getting credit when they are great at selling clothing. Long hours when no one comes in and you need to get your daily sales. Online returns goes against your daily and monthly sales. It can kill a good week. Being salary for years I had a hard time clocking in and out.

Being in management I understand the importance of selling. Chill on the credit You are losing good people. I believe in grassroots but, every single month. What happened to taking care of business. The DM needs better training on how to come in and talk to the manager.

Friendly atmosphere for personal growth

Former Employee - P/T Assistant Manager in Watertown, NY
    Former Employee - P/T Assistant Manager in Watertown, NY

I worked at CJ Banks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the position, hours are decent, time off is easy to get if your store has the coverage. Atmosphere is friendly.

Cons

Fashion show recruiting, hard to sell clothing product to younger customers. Pay is on the lower end of average. Many stores are closing due to lost profits.

Choose a better buyer for the product. Most styles were old, outdated, and stereotyped the target demographic.

I really enjoyed working for CJ Banks and with our customers.

Former Employee - 4th Key, Customer Associate in Kokomo, IN
    Former Employee - 4th Key, Customer Associate in Kokomo, IN

I worked at CJ Banks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The women that came into work.

Cons

The need to push the application of credit cards.

Love the clothes

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Muskegon, MI

I worked at CJ Banks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with some great ladies! I enjoyed my time there and had an excellent discount on the clothes.

Cons

I worked with all women. Women can be very caddy and out for blood. You always have to watch your back.

Best personal shopper, willing to help!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at CJ Banks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed work conditions, great management team, they listen to your ideals, very low turnover, great benefits. work only one Sunday a month

Cons

they start at a size 14 women I don't wear 14 women, it is retail so you work Sat. but normally have off Sunday.

I have a wonderful manager who makes it a pleasure to come to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Canton, OH

I have been working at CJ Banks

Pros

Great Employee discount
    High quality product that is fun to sell
    Manager and co-workers who are like family
    Wonderful customers who appreciate us and the products we sell.
    A beautiful and comfortable facility

Cons

Low pay for a very physical job

Bring back the classical clothes that we have been known for and our customers lo
    Too many promotions that confuse and irritate our customers.
    Stope raising prices once they have been marked down.

Good Store Level People, upper management can't find their way out of a paper bag.

I have been working at CJ Banks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great Store Teams
    -Employee Discount is awesome
    -Clothes are good quality, so having the discount is very much worth it.

Cons

-Upper management micromanages ~ The number of e-mails we get daily from our DM about petty things that we HAVE to react to IMMEDIATELY is astounding.

-Used car salesman mentality ~ ESPECIALLY regarding the credit card. Right now there is widespread panic about being fired/written up if you 'under-perform' in this area. Despite the fact that any ground level retail person will tell you, being able to get someone to apply for a store credit card has little to do with your selling skills and more to do with that person's financial situation.

-Technologically stuck in the stone age ~ we're constantly forced to keep track of credit card approvals, our daily totals, online orders, returns, etc on paper. That kind of tracking is necessary no doubt, but it would take a tech guy 30 minutes to write a program that could do it all for us, AND send real time data to corporate. Instead, we're forced to do it the old fashioned way, with calculators and paper. Then spend forever after the store closes writing it all up.

-Upper management out of touch with ground level ~ in our case, our DM (District Manager) last managed a store probably 15 years ago. It shows. The retail world has changed DRASTICALLY in 15 years and what worked then is NOT going to work now.

-Obscene daily goals ~ It's become a joke, we NEVER make our goals despite working our asses off.

-Culture of 'I don't want to hear it' - When the RM came to our store, we were told by the DM not to say certain things, or do certain things. When there is an issue in the store and we email our DM to inform her (usually this has to do with signage being misleading, or a sale concept not working) we get told "Deal with it, I don't want to hear it."

-Next to no positive re-enforcement ~ All we hear from upper management is how we have failed. Never what we've done right or are on the right track with. Visits from upper management are feared as we know that no matter what we've been doing right, we're going to get berated for something else. The DM coming to our store means it's going to be ripped apart and we're going to be told we're doing it all wrong. Despite the fact that we've been doing it the way she told us to do it last visit.

-Shoestring payroll - We're constantly under staffed as corporate is notoriously stingy with hours.

-Dual Managers ~ Most managers of CJ's are also now managers of CB's as well.A General Manager having to run two stores mean less time and therefore problems in both stores rarely get resolved.

Get organized up top. Look we get that you've been slashing jobs left and right, but we on the ground are tired of trying to keep a failing system together. Re-instate full time assistant managers and go back to one store one general manager. Update the computer systems and methods for data tracking and rethink the "Take Action Captain" aspect of data collection. Stores have enough to do at closing without one having to collate the data from 15 other stores and then send it to the DM. That should be the DM's job, not an individual store's even though it rotates though the list.

Make your goals reachable, and loosen the payroll purse string. Your stores WILL be more profitable as we will be able to focus more on selling and customer service as opposed to merely surviving.