CKE Restaurants

Andrew F. Puzder

shift lead

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at CKE Restaurants part-time (less than an year)

Pros

consistent work hours. great people love the breakfast hours.

Cons

lots of work, and sometimes no breaks. customer complaints.

better training on the hands on.

It's all about the bottom
    line

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA

I worked at CKE Restaurants full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Carpinteria headquarters sits on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Channel Islands. The spectacular views are enjoyed from the executives' offices.

Cons

Corporate professionals are often paid as if they were hourly restaurant workers, who were paid barely over minimum wage.

So proud to have been a part of this organization!

I have been working at CKE Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard but they work TOGETHER for common goals. It isn't just about profit and loss, sales, or market penetration - people care about each other and their communities. There are good opportunities to move around the organization. Senior leadership is visible and accessible.

Cons

Compensation can be challenging. With various types and locations of workplaces, there's a perception about inequality. I don't know whether it's true or not.

Keep up the good work and never stop looking for ways to improve...the restaurants, corporate, employee engagement, etc. Thanks for all you do!

Not growing

I worked at CKE Restaurants

Pros

Great location with a wonderful view overlooking the beach. There are free soda, coffee, and popcorn in lunch room.

Cons

People are worried about losing their jobs. They are cutting jobs through attrition and targeted layoffs. People are not very friendly. This is not the place where "everyone knows your name". The pay is below market average.

Heartless company only cares about top level people and friends advance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at CKE Restaurants full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free Soda and Coffee is about it.

Cons

Lack of adequate management leads to wrong people working in wrong positions. LOTS of favoritism on promotions instead of those who are really qualified. To many personal relationships within the company, family and romantic. Wages are way below the standard. Executive level people are heartless to those that do the real work.

Get some formal training for your employees if you expect them to support them better. Actually give people promotions when they are qualified for them instead of giving your "friends" positions.

If you can work here, you can work anywhere.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Corona, CA

I have been working at CKE Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, consistent raises, and easy promotion (if you want it). Flexible hours, easily gained employment, no previous experience required.

Cons

computerized training, upper management out of touch with the complexities of running store, budget down sizes all the time.

Treat each store differently and look at your budget numbers, not as numbers but as items you are not allowing a store to have, and in reality you take it away from our guests.

Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at CKE Restaurants full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My co workers are very nice.

Cons

Unorganized. Management not very good.

Why bother they won't do anything.

Run away if you ever want a life!!!

I have been working at CKE Restaurants

Pros

Nice people to work with, even though they can be overly gossipy. Some cool perk, a gym, popcorn, and soda fountain.

Cons

"Good Old Boy's Club." Anyone can hired here as long as they know someone. No skills needed, just be willing to do anything your manager says even if you don't agree. No consistency, poor policy (or lack there of). Your stay is based on how well you are liked, and not your skills. This company changed when the CEO changed. Carl Karcher had a vision that has since been destroyed.
    If you want to work the longest most grueling hours while your manager goes home early work here.

Care about the people that work for you and stop treating people like numbers. Develop actual policies and rules, and stop making them up as you go along. Mean what you say and say what you mean and stop thinking that everyone is replaceable- believe me it shows.

Extremely poor treatment of employees.

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Carrollton, GA
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Carrollton, GA

I worked at CKE Restaurants full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money is good, if you have a General Manager who will actually give you the raise once your title changes.

Cons

Employees are expected to give up school schedules and prior commitments if any turnover occurs that will affect the restaurant. For example, I was promoted when I asked not to be because a manager quit.

Company bought and sold twice in 3 years, layoffs, terrible morale, politics, pick your poison!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at CKE Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Building is only 5 years old and clean most of the time.
    Work/life balance, depending on the dept you are in (see below)
    Benefits, depending on your level of need/want. Only two weeks vacation offered up front.
    Nice Gym and a trainer (only there to combat the image of fast food companies not caring about your health).
    Break room with free soda and free popcorn.
    Parking is reasonable.

Like any place, there are some very nice people here.

Cons

Where to start:

Pay is only good if you have been a lifer there or you bargained your way in at a higher rate. Once you are in, good luck getting raises. I have not seen one yet and many others haven't either. Employee turnover in our restaurants is very high right now. We pay min wage, coupling that with the terrible morale, no one is staying. Local restaurants are taking our people. I did hear there's a program rolling out for them, but nothing for the corp side (also typical).

Work/life balance was "ok" for me, but I saw others who had their breaks rigorously timed and even spied upon by their managers. I did hear that our manager reads our emails and instant messages. They have the right to, but its tacky and shows the level of mistrust that's so prevalent in this industry.

Sadly, this industry is full of min wage loving execs. This attitude starts from our CEO, Andy Puzder and works it way down (Mike and Ted are the same). He brings his own brand of right-wing politics into the work place. Asking people to go to political benefits and plunk down $20-$30K a plate (for Rick Perry then Mitt Romney). Spending company funds to ensure laws are manipulated, so he can keep his costs down. Giving "Free Market" speeches and trying to manipulate employees into the same mindset. He should worry less about getting on Fox News and concentrate on expanding the business more.

Management wildly varies in quality. One min you are talking to someone highly competent and professional, next min you have to deal with some lifer that can't put two and two together, but they understand the workplace politics enough to keep their jobs. Most of the upper management keeps the majority of the place in order through fear tactics. I have personally seen upper management yell at employees over trivial concerns. HR doesn't care when it's upper management, so if your thinking they are there to help you, think again.

I have also heard from a few managers that their bonus structure is dependent on how much they save their dept, so good luck getting basic office supplies you will need. I have seen managers waste time managing stuff like keyboards, mice, post-its, clip boards, pencils, etc because they don't want their dept to take the hit. Pathetic. Billion dollar business where people are worried about pads and pens.

Favoritism, yes, this is also a problem here. I have seen people promoted who are the same individuals who just happen to be hanging out and talking to upper management all of the time, what a coincidence! I would even entertain the idea this could be a coincidence, but I know some of the people who applied to these positions and they had way more qualifications (and were even told this!). Some people can come and go as they please, others can't. One person with a title making $10-$20K less than the person next to them with the exact same title. Stuff like this seems to be rampant.

The first company that bought CKE Restaurants was the Apollo group, do a google search and you will see they are just some right-wing holding company. They came in and cut so many people from so many depts., the place doesn't run well when one person calls off, gets sick, dies, etc. Running way too thin! Then they sold us off to Roark Capital group just recently and things really went down hill fast. Most employees are starting to talk about leaving.

Last, but not least, the benefits. Not the worst out there, but certainly not the best. Andy has made it PAINFULLY clear that "Obamacare" has caused all of this. We have seen the emails over and over. Of course, the execs have a special medical plan that is 100% covered for them, the rest of us have to pay into ours (which is not nearly as good of a plan). I guess when your a top tier employee, your life is worth more on this planet. If you work in one of our restaurants, I have no idea how you can afford the cheapest plan, thanks to the ACA, you can probably get something better using your low income credits. If you are someone with major medical issues, even the best insurance they offer to us might not be good enough, consider this before accepting an offer. For instance, I have needed a prescription that is super common (since the 1960's) and I get denied every time. $75 out of pocket. Never been an issue at any other company I worked for..

Funnily enough, for all of this negativity, I would say that most people who come from Del Taco or Yum Foods seem to think our company treats its employees better. Not sure what that says for those companies, but also some of those people have different views depending on if they are part of a cost center or a profit center. Operations staff have the most micro-management on top of them, but seem to have the highest ceiling for pay potential. Cost center staff have little room for advancement and the worst opportunities for a pay increase, but probably the most "stability" (until recently).

Roarke Group, fire our management and bring in some human beings who understand how to manage the business, while treating employees with respect and consideration. People who understand the long term success associated with hiring (and keeping) the best and the brightest, at all levels.

The Exec management at CKE is simply the worst of the worst. Ego's so large they have all of their portraits on display in the lobby, because its so important we see the faces of our overlords every morning. Stop spending money on crap (fighting politics, etc) and spend it on the people who count. The ones who are lining your pockets. Andy couldn't afford his corporate jet if it wasn't for the people he cares so little about.

CKE Restaurants Photos