CMA CGM America

Updated May 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Frank Baragona

Learned a lot about the shipping industry.

ProsGreat morale among the employees and executives. It's a great place if you have kids and want to stay healthy. There are many activities that cater to this.

ConsThe opportunity for growth should be available sooner. The time frame to move to other departments was a bit extensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees advised of any issues. Feedback from management often helped me to advance in my position. The lines of communication should stay open.

Great workplace environment

Team Leader (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsTeam dynamic is great, benefits and time off are unmatchable.

ConsThe pay isn't as high due to other benefits and its hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better communication with employee and assist with growth.

Steamship line review

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsPromotes from within, exceptional training and team work

ConsNever closes for door for bad weather

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit the supervisors frequently and push so the employees know there is an open door policy. People tend to not speak up when management is not approachable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great PTO, benefits; okay pay, management doesn't always understand the employees needs

Inter-modal Coordinator (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

Prosvery generous Paid Time Off, great insurance and 401K benefits, gym and nice sized cafeteria in building, overall nice atmosphere

Conspay isn't great, management decides to make changes but doesn't effectively communicate with or understand the employees who are doing the work, some people have to work 10-7 or 11-8

Advice to Senior Managementmake changes to make the job more efficient and less stressful for the employees

Good company to get you started

Inbound Vessel Coordinator (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsTraining, cross-training, and making staff more valuable are the biggest strengths of this company. They are clearly set up to add lots of entry level talent because from day 1 you get classes on everything from their systems to basic shipping industry knowledge. Most new hires get a few days of specific training in their job function as well. CCA really is a great company for recent graduates to get a ton of experience and put a great name on your resume. The benefits package is incredible - by far the least expensive plan I've seen. Least expensive as in 1/4 the cost of everyone else cheap. VERY GOOD. Human Resources is also very helpful if you have any sort of dispute with management or whatever.

ConsThe other side of the coin: the salary is low. CCA hires a lot of recent graduates. Not a lot of these new hires come with shipping experience - and that's OK - but this also allows CCA to pay a lower starting salary. The typical department at CCA has a team leader (maybe), a supervisor, a manager, then a director. That's a lot of levels to climb to get to a position where I figured my pay would be satisfactory, so I decided to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Low salaries are an issue if you want to keep the staff you're training. I got great industry experience and was able to quickly find a position elsewhere for much more money. I would have loved to stay at CCA, though.

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsVery good benefits and management. Always trying to improve processes and procedures.

ConsSince HQ is in France, a good majority of decisions are made there. The french have a stuffiness to there attitude that makes dealing with them unpleasent.

Growth that is not to be believed.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsExcellent benefits - better than at other shipping companies with a very small contribution from the employees. Contribution to benefits varies with salary level. Very nice office space - management goes out of its way to make sure that the work atmosphere is pleasant for all employees at all levels.

ConsHaving to deal with difficult personalities coming from the head office in France. The policies from France can be commercially unreasonable and it makes it very difficult to explain to customers. Also, the relationship between the head office and the US company is not good and the people in France do not respect the employees in the US or their opinions or ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe US Senior management is what has propelled CMA CGM into the top 10 shipping companies in the US. Keep it up and keep improving the quality of the associates in the US.

Great Company on Paper

Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat Benefits (Really great)
    Good opportunities to move around and up in the company
    Friendly coworkers
    Cross-training opportunities

ConsDifferent supervisors/peers = different procedures for common activities. Leads to mistakes
    Because they are easy to move up in, this results in some managers/supervisors not being the best fit
    Very low payscale
    Personal Experience: Was hired for a position, then 5 months later, my position was outsourced. Was very disappointed that they would hire (several people) knowing they would be removing my position anyways.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistent procedure training for managers

Started pretty good

export bookings - premiere/stars (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat training and benefits. The management is pretty good; some better than others.

ConsThey pick their favorites so I can't advance and they always have a lame excuse as to why they won't hire me for a different position that I am well-qualified for.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the time to help your team members excel and advance.

Some Good Some Not So Good

Management (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsMoving in right direction in some things - Salary / Bene's

ConsHR Policies are brutal. HR does not take stand and spineless when it comes to advising FRENCH head office of US policies and practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementCapable people need to be in HR positions - not ones that inherent the role

Worked for CMA CGM America? Contribute to the Community!