CMA CGM America

CMA CGM America Reviews

Updated November 9, 2014
Updated November 9, 2014

Frank Baragona

The interview process seems great, but the honeymoon phase ends in less time than it takes to get hired there

Current Employee - Export Bookings Representative in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Export Bookings Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at CMA CGM America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are appealing and I have enjoyed meeting a variety of co-workers from different backgrounds.

Cons

The ability to have "upward mobility" is sold to you as a huge benefit to taking the job, but I am not sure that it actually even exists. I see people moving around to different areas in the company, but I don't hear of increases in salary or raises as something that happen often. Also, trying to get time off is extremely difficult if it isn't an extremely obscure date. So, basically, if you want to take off for any type of holiday that is considered an optional holiday, make sure you take it off about 6 months in advance.

Good work environment but with limited promotion possibilities

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Miami, FL

I have been working at CMA CGM America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work enviroment, management style and benefits.

Cons

Few Manager positions avaiable due to reduced structure, so it is very hard to get promotions.

Keep friendly

Love this company

Current Employee - Cargo Management in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Cargo Management in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at CMA CGM America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, friendly people, awesome management

Cons

Sometimes it's boring :/, but the people around are awesome!

None

Great Potential, but ultimately a let-down

Current Employee - Exports in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Exports in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at CMA CGM America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Benefits and time off are hard to beat. You start accruing time off as soon as you are hired and it's a very generous amount per paycheck.
    *the building is beautiful and location is close to lots of places for lunch
    *HUGE on community service, always collection drives, 50/50 raffle, service days (not on company time), etc
    *they offer employee morale programs such as customer service week, college and environmental fairs

Cons

I've been with the company for over 2 years and in my time i've realized there is so much better out there. They attract you with the benefits and time off. You accrue a lot of time off but if you are on the customer service floor it's almost impossible to take time off. You have to plan everything out WAY in advance because more thank likely someone else is already on the calender to be off that day.

You would think the people who deal with your customers would be treated the best but it's the polar opposite. They are the worst paid (salaries are on the low end for Norfolk cost of living), overtime is like unicorn, we also get to watch the rest of the building leave on days like the Friday before labor day or memorial day, Christmas or thanksgiving eve. they want people there to cover the phones that aren't ringing.

the employee morale seems low, most people are fake happy and deal with the crap because of the benefits and time off

turnover is high

tuition reimbursement is a joke and good luck getting any use out of that degree when you receive it because at the end of the day the main people getting promoted are friends with the hiring party. So you've basically committed yourself to CCA and will waste the degree.

Very cliquey and good luck also breaking into those.

the kpi's for the customer service floor can be very unrealistic, and are obviously written by someone who has never actually done the job.

The new President seem A+ , hopefully as he continues to move in it will change some stale policies.

Listen to your employees, you do a town hall twice a years to remind your underpaid employees how much money the company is making and do zero listening to company concerns

Actually care about your employees growth. Some people are ok with the status quo. Most arent

operating forklift that load and unload trucks and order pulling ,putting up stock

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Memphis, TN

I worked at CMA CGM America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work very productive and motivation to employees

Cons

Not being responsible for safety for employees

Be aware of safety first

Great Company on Paper

Former Employee - Documentation Specialist in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Documentation Specialist in Norfolk, VA

I worked at CMA CGM America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits (Really great)
    Good opportunities to move around and up in the company
    Friendly coworkers
    Cross-training opportunities

Cons

Different supervisors/peers = different procedures for common activities. Leads to mistakes
    Because they are easy to move up in, this results in some managers/supervisors not being the best fit
    Very low payscale
    Personal Experience: Was hired for a position, then 5 months later, my position was outsourced. Was very disappointed that they would hire (several people) knowing they would be removing my position anyways.

Consistent procedure training for managers

worst experience from my career.

Current Employee - Executive in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Executive in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CMA CGM America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

let me think about...no pros

Cons

bad micromanagement, very stressful environment, no human values. They describe so well the company at the interview and then you find that they don`t have a background to sustain their lies.

management should try to respect human beings and try to be professionals.

Great workplace environment

Former Employee - Team Leader in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Norfolk, VA

I worked at CMA CGM America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team dynamic is great, benefits and time off are unmatchable.

Cons

The pay isn't as high due to other benefits and its hard to move up

Have better communication with employee and assist with growth.

This place is a joke

I have been working at CMA CGM America

Pros

Great benefits and paid time off. (These two factors are probably the only things keeping 95% of the employees they have).

Cons

Pay is low for most positions. Undeserving people are regularly rewarded, even after making costly and time consuming mistakes. Management will say horrible things about their employees behind their backs rather than addressing the issue with the employee. Little room for advancement. Management plays favorites. Egos run rampant, especially amongst supervisors.

Stop rewarding incompetence and ignoring childish behavior. Don't make employees feel guilty for using their PTO. Don't ask for your employees opinions and then ignore them. If you actually listened and took appropriate action - your employees might start to respect you.

Started pretty good

Current Employee - export bookings - premiere/stars in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - export bookings - premiere/stars in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at CMA CGM America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great training and benefits. The management is pretty good; some better than others.

Cons

They pick their favorites so I can't advance and they always have a lame excuse as to why they won't hire me for a different position that I am well-qualified for.

Make the time to help your team members excel and advance.