CME Group

CME Group Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

CME Group CEO Phupinder Gill

Phupinder Gill

Pros
  • Challenging environment with good work / life balance for the most part(in 23 reviews)

• Tuition reimbursement and work life balance(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance , no respect to employee time off(in 6 reviews)

• Bad middle management and no concern for employees personal issues(in 5 reviews)

Fast paced environment where one is encuraged to contribute ideas

Global Security Monitoring Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat Salary
    Great Management style
    Great Location near trains

ConsWork at home is not promoted, even 1 day a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote independent thinking

Research Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with. Very knowledgeable and helpful. They made me feel like part of their team, not just an intern.

ConsCompany is heirarchical. Although I was able to work well with different division and groups, it often took some time and some referrals to find the right people to speak with.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter inter-departmental communication and information sharing would be helpful.

CME Group was once great but now cronyism for political favor rule.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSome really great people work here.

ConsPolitics in the workplace take precedence over hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within instead of hiring cronies and political favors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CME Group overview

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat work / life balance, great health benefits, opportunities to work in different fields and locations. competitive salary

ConsTreatment of employees should be a little more personal.
    Management should be more empowered

Frustrating dead end culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, technology is always a priority

ConsLack of loyalty, management unavailable or unaware, little room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at Directors

Great company to work for if you are looking to gain knowledge in the financial markets.

Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere is a wealth of knowledge from current employees. Senior management is willing to listen if you actively approach them with questions. Great educational assistance program and health benefits.

ConsThere tends to be a lot of corporate politics in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback from employees and better communicate initiatives taking place throughout the entire organization.

Great financial institution, but not at all a tech company

Software Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay is decent. Expectations of workers are pretty relaxed, largely owed to an established condition of frequently inoperable or poorly performing work environments (read: laptops & internal networks), which is almost excusable for a company that deals with what CME deals with. I feel there's a moderate work-life balance: the best of us will be somewhat overworked, but no one appears to be screaming about it. It's very normal to work 40 hours a week consistently, and enjoy your weekends free of interruption. If you are here to punch a card and go home, this is not a bad place to hang your hat. If you feel the fast pace of web development is not for you, this place may put you at ease. At the end of the day, it's just a job, it pays your bills, and you get to have the prestige of working for a great financial monolith that has over a hundred years of experience... at least vicariously. I can't speak ill of the Exchange's history and prestige as a fixture not only in Chicago, but the global economy. Seriously, it's a good company with a rich and impressive history that (hopefully) isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

ConsThere is no culture to speak of, and there is a notable divide between consultants / contractors and full time staff to nearly the point of hostility. An uncomfortably unethical percentage of the development staff is outsourced, contractor, or staff augmented from other firms, and contemporary conversion is rare. Speaking as a developer, the work environment is horrific in terms of having the ability to do your job effectively. Development practices and team communication is nearly non-existent, and there's very little direction from management that I'm aware of. Quality of product is substandard to the point of crushing creativity within the development staff. If you are passionate about technology or are looking to grow as a developer or worker within the field of web technology, this is a poor choice in occupation. If you are starting out and need direction or the means in which to grow technically or personally, you will probably not survive a month. If you have experience in any modern technology, you will likely be very frustrated. But again, if you need a job, this one pays the bills quite nicely and might serve as a springboard into something better down the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are at a critical point in your crossroads within your company, and you must choose soon to overcome what I can only assume is a decade of technological indecision and mistakes that are boiling up to a critical mass. Your product is nearly impossible to manage or maintain, so I earnestly implore you either to bite the bullet and re-invent your technological stack, or scrap the idea of managing developers and serve only as oversight to a consulting agency that is highly capable of working in web application development (as many agencies in Chicago are). It's worth stating that my foray into the company hasn't allowed me more than a glimpse into the inner workings of every teams, so it may be fair to say that you're already doing this, and my team is just an uncanny lemon. Talk among other associates suggests otherwise, however, so if you know what to do and you are indeed doing it right, you still have your work cut out for you in fixing quite a bit of your product.

Marketing Analytics Intern

ProsVery flexible work hours and work load, learned a lot

ConsDo not sponsor visa, so can not turn to be full time

corporate double talk

Trader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLeading futures and options exchange located close to transportation. Good benefits and salary.with further education possibilities that provides an overview of the financial and commodities markets.

ConsAlthough a world leader the Board of Directors been shortsighted and believes they have the only formula for success. The directors make plans with little input from the members and member firms that has led to many legal problems and a failing confidence in the industry itself, as many large trading firms are liquidating their clearing privileges.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers and bring integrity back to the industry. Just because you have a masters degree does not mean your way is right.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat for developing skills in a fast-paced environment

ConsVery technical, so you have to have that mindset

Worked for CME Group? Contribute to the Community!