CME Group

Updated December 5, 2014
3.4

CME Group CEO Phupinder Gill
Phupinder Gill

Pros
  • Challenging environment with good work / life balance for the most part (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, work life balance depending on the position you hold (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance , no respect to employee time off (in 6 reviews)

• If you are not liked by the inner circle of senior management you will not be successful here (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful experience would have stayed if it was still busy.

Former Employee - Trader Support
    Former Employee - Trader Support

I worked at CME Group full-time

Pros

A lot of great people to work with, in my field you day is done between 3 and 4.

Cons

They should teach employees how to watch the market from beginning.

Awesome opportunities here!

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group

Pros

Absolutely the best benefits package I've ever heard of...even better than the military or police and fire departments! Lot's of opportunities to have a solid work/life balance. Outstanding salary ranges. People are awesome yet most people are fairly sheltered due to constant turn-over.

Cons

Serious lack of inter-departmental communication. Serious lack of documentation. Company is constantly going through re-organization so there's always a concern for lay-offs. Poor management decision making (at least in the department I was in) and they don't seem to know what they want employees to do from day to day. Job description postings are seldom accurate for what you would actually be required to perform. Management doesn't like it when an employee out-performs his/her superiors. Company doesn't really look for people to be innovative...they would prefer employees to be grouped in a box....no movement or reward for ingenuity, creativity, or thinking outside of the box. Extremely focused on cost savings to the point the company will forego important investments in CRM, reporting tools, and other technologies necessary to carry the company into the next generation of growth.

Also, it's a relatively small company so movement (depending on which department you're in) can be slow or negligible. Many good employees have left because there's no room to grow upward.

Loosen the grip on the ground employees and encourage entrepreneurship mindsets...allow your employees to maximize their creativity to grow your business. Stop having management be the ones to lead conversations and engage your younger employees in strategic meetings and executive succession planning initiatives.

Short-term focus cuts too deep

Current Employee - Executive Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CME Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong industry position with leading products across asset classes. Recent growth driven by international and expectation of interest rate changes.

Cons

Recent layoffs and policy changes were not well thought out. Laid off very talented, driven professionals with no solid explanation. Significantly reduced tuition reimbursement program that was key for more junior staff and a differentiator that led to committed, loyal staff. CEO is known for colorful style, but is often sexist and racist (against anyone that isn't brown) and his use of off colorful language should not be accepted at a industry-leading, large public company.

Aim before you fire. The recent layoffs were poorly planned and executed.
    While macro conditions will drive growth, opportunities for outsized growth should be invested in (e.g., international).
    CEO is not a strong leader and hides behind humor to mask inability to inspire, provide focus and lead.

Very bad culture, too much politics

Former Employee - Senior Market Risk Management Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Market Risk Management Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You ca start your career here after your college. Still good for resume.

Cons

Go through the political swamp. Culture is not healthy. They can fire you for no reason, just because you do not fit into their games :)

A fish rots from the head down.

Good place to build your career

I have been working at CME Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced company with complex issues to solve. Opportunity to work with many smart and dedicated colleagues. Small company feel with big company challenges - perfect place to get great experience and build your career. Great compensation and benefits.

Cons

May be difficult to work with certain teams/ people within the company. Lack of collaboration and communication often goes unaddressed.

Deal with lack of collaboration as this can prevent progress.

intern

I worked at CME Group full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work, learn and grow

Cons

Could not find any

QA Analyst Intern

Former Employee - QA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - QA in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

None that I know of.

Cons

Interns get treated as unwanted people being kicked around. Your job description hardly matches your actual work. They won't treat interns with dignity. During most of my internship I was copy-pasting data from one system to another. I brought up this issue with my manager and executive director but they didn't listen me. Very low pay. Avoid joining CME as a QA. You won't have anything to add to your resume after the internship. Layoffs are frequent. They periodically fire experienced people and hire recently graduated students so they have to pay less salary. Once you start performing and your salary increases...boom...you're fired and they would replace you with another recently graduated student.

Why do you hire interns if you don't need them? Cheap labor? Ha!

Best days behind CME

I worked at CME Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance, utilizes technology well, relaxed atmosphere, nice people, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Company does not have any discernible process to execute initiatives, very little clarity provided to employees regarding objectives, poor training, middle managers lack accountability, abundance of politics

As one trader put it, "I do 90% of my business with ICE and 10% of my business with CME, yet 90% of my problems stem from CME." With such great market share and resources on hand, the company needs to take a look at how it does business if it hopes to retain its position in the long term.

Nice Experience!

Former Employee - Strategic Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Strategic Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CME Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work culture! Friendly people, fixed working hours.

Cons

Late in delegating work and lack clarity in designing the problem statement.

Company on a downward spiral?

I worked at CME Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salaries. Some employees can telecommute which is a plus. Chicago and New York are exciting cities.

Cons

Little chance of advancement unless you know how to golf with the senior management or you turn your life over to the company
    The company displays poor organizational skills and lacks the necessary decision making skills to allow it to move forward.
    Management refuses to take ownership of their initiatives.

Less chiefs, more indians