CMP Media

CMP Media Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tony L. Uphoff

A great learning experience for a "new student" and I was treated like royalty.

Senior Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsLots of opportunities to shine or fail.
    Given ability to take the lead.
    Communication is valued.
    Perks are great.
    Lots of mentoring opportunities.

ConsPressure cooker.
    Lots given and lots expected.
    Treadmill of craziness is never-ending.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some more time on the West Coast (headquartered in NY).

No Pay adjustment

Various (Former Employee) Manhasset, NY

ProsWork hours were better than most

ConsWas hired during a "freeze. 3 years later when the freeze was lifted, and I was in a new higher roll, there was no offer of a salary adjustment. Only offered a general increase.

Some really great people in upper management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge organization, so great benefits and good opportunity for advancement and exposure to other industries for career variety. There's a great collegiality in working for UBM, with good idea and information sharing tools.

ConsAs with many large organizations, upper management relies on critical skill and communication of senior management who have conflicting goals for stability and growth. So goals can get blurred for middle managers and employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Financial Analyst

ProsFamily oriented and business casual

ConsBad market and still deteriorating

very pleasant place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshad a great team, we all worked great together

Conswork many hours with no room for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to the employees

Clueless Upper rmanagement

Publisher (Former Employee) Darien, CT

ProsGood benefits once you have been there for a few years. UBM recognized the time we had already accumulated with the company when it was acquired by them in 2003. Many of us had 10+ years with the company and were immediately fully vested in the benefits offered.

ConsThe upper management of the division is clueless right up to the CEO. They only takes direction from the home office in London. They didn't make an effort to get to know the people that work under them in the USA or learn about the markets we services. One bad strategic decision after another. Sold off or closed many viable entities to put efforts into projects like SeachMedica - a search engine for healthcare professionals. Ever hear of Google? Is that really who you want to compete with?

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an active interest in knowing what your employees do and the markets they know. While we are in a global network/economy, figure out how the USA niche can turn a profit here and expand upon it rather then shut it down because "London says so". Then incorporate into the global plans of UBM

Loved working there!

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEvery manager was responsible training one of their direct reports to move into their position, so it was a great place to learn and be promoted.

ConsCompany was bought so there was mass confusion and layoffs. There was also little direction during the change.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forthcoming with company changes.

CMP Media

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLocation in SF was fun, good benefitsand met some great people working here. Close to South park and many newer restaurants near ball park

Consmanagment not listening to employees
    after merger place was miserable have beeno losing people for years. no communication. Managment in NY too indifferent to CA workers

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to your employees, try to promote from within based on ability not on those who have been there longest

The Worst 9 Months of My Life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome nice, really smart people. Good location. Well-read co-workers. Some fun lunches out (pre-recession). Big company with decent benefits. OK about vacation time.

ConsHonestly, I don't know how l lasted so long here. The first round of layoffs came 3 months after I started and that should have been a warning sign. People who had been there 20 years were just dumped. Some people who showed up before 8 and stayed until past 7pm were let go, but others who came in at 11am and left at 5pm were kept. Made no sense. The whole vibe was kind of one that was outdated and there was an acceptance of screaming as a tactic to motivate people. I honestly have never heard yelling like that in an office before. Management was at best inept, and at worse, cruel. It cured me of ever wanting to work in publishing again.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to at least pretend like you care about your employees. If you have to lay them off, at least don't humiliate them in the process. Figure out who does the actual work, before you do the layoffs.

CMP: Great benefits, disorganized company structure

Editor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCMP Media has a very good benefits package -- IF you take advantage of it. The company allows time off for volunteering, flexible summer hours (some offices), and often supports work-from-home schemes. The emphasis is on getting the job done and done well rather than getting in done during these working hours or this/that particular way. Tuition assistance is very good. HR staff has always been astounding. Employees with 7 years' experience with the company get sabbatical. Even the layoff package is pretty sweet.

ConsCMP has rebranded itself, restructured its departments, and reclassified its corporate culture so many times no one knows who CMP Media employees are any more or what they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRAIN middle management better.

Worked for CMP Media? Contribute to the Community!