CMP Media Reviews

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014
2.7

Tony L. Uphoff

CMP: Great benefits, disorganized company structure

Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

CMP Media has a very good benefits package -- IF you take advantage of it. The company allows time off for volunteering, flexible summer hours (some offices), and often supports work-from-home schemes. The emphasis is on getting the job done and done well rather than getting in done during these working hours or this/that particular way. Tuition assistance is very good. HR staff has always been astounding. Employees with 7 years' experience with the company get sabbatical. Even the layoff package is pretty sweet.

Cons

CMP has rebranded itself, restructured its departments, and reclassified its corporate culture so many times no one knows who CMP Media employees are any more or what they do.

TRAIN middle management better.

Lazy Lifers Wanted

Former Employee - Production Editor in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Production Editor in Manhasset, NY

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

I've been there for the good days and the bad days. In the good days, there were tons of perks, bonuses, parties and events, generous salaries, awards. There was an acceptance of work-life needs that wasn't found elsewhere. The type of leadership you'd find really depended on which publication you worked on, and in which department, but my top manager on my first pub was absolutely top notch! He personally allowed for practically unlimited professional growth. Whatever level you were willing to take it to, he was supportive. He didn't throw money at you indiscriminately, but certainly rewarded good work. I'm describing my "good" experience strictly within a single publication. This description does not include senior management.

Cons

Low expectations plus high salaries equals a staff full of lazy lifers! It's dull, creatively stifling, and breeds dissatisfaction. Underqualified people often find themselves promoted, by default (i.e. somebody above them leaves), to positions they aren't equipped for. This leads to either a false sense of entitlement, or a shifty fear of being found out. The fear of being discovered leads these people to make a full-time job of sabotaging others to make themselves look good. I saw this across the board, in the good days and the bad days, at the nice pub (at the middle management level) and the not-nice pub (from the top right on down!). You can't just promote someone because they're THERE and expect them to lead with confidence! In the last pub I worked on for this company, I saw four people in a row (on ONE publication!) get witch-hunted, provoked, sabotaged and set up to fail, so they were eventually fired. The economy had gone sour, jobs were being cut, and it became a game of predator and prey. If you didn't want to be next, you had to make the other guy look bad, and some people did this with relish. It was truly shameful, but I don't think the company is like that across the board. That one particular publication is led by a 20+ years lifer with a God complex. Play up to that ego, and you can stay, regardless of your qualifications or lack thereof. But... why would you want to?

Raise your expectations and encourage people (positively! not by fear!) to meet them.

Not so bad. Not so great.

Former Employee - Editor in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in Manhasset, NY

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

Benefits were great and generally it was a fun environment. I was promoted several times, and, to be honest, never worked all that hard (although there were some exceptions).

Cons

Vision was a overused and under utilized word. Battles developed over the silliest and most irrelevant things. You basically had to be incompetent AND stealing from the company before they would fire you--just one element and you'd linger on for years.

Communicate! No double speak.

Walk - no - RUN from any offer at CMP.

Former Employee - Regional Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

CMP has some great publications, and a decent reputation in the industry from a content/publication standpoint.

Cons

Politics run everything at CMP, and their management team is one of the worst in publishing. Fear and intimidation are the tactic of choice, including calling the office at 6am and 6pm each day to "check up" on who is in the office and who dared to go home. Work life balance is in serious disarray. I worked for a competitive publisher for 6 years prior to joining CMP and can confidently say that CMP is in serious need of a major overhaul.

If management would spend as much time developing the product and teams as they spend in backroom politics, self-promotion and intimidation, CMP might have a change of regaining its previous status. For now they seem doomed.

Boring, stable, and not to tech savvy

Former Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

It was a good enough job, without too much pressure. People were by and large friendly, benies were good. They didn't expect too much of their technical staff which allowed me to learn quite a bit, even though I had to initiate it all. It would have been a great place to calcify, not learn anything, go home on time every single day, that sort of thing.

Cons

Not a place to innovate, not a place to push yourself or others to do fantastic things.

You need better technical managers, first off. People involved with the business, who know the business, but who can spearhead technology in a professional way. There's a very garage-y approach and I think it hurts the company.

Do NOT work for this company unless you enjoy frustration, and banging your head against walls

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at CMP Media

Pros

If you cant find another job, then perhaps, but only then

Cons

My career has actually regressed since working at CMP, and I am paid less than i was 5 years ago, if you factor in cost of living.

Let people do the jobs they are paid to do, and not everyone elses.
    too many people make decisions that are irrelevant to their jobs, and hinder
    others from doing their jobs well.

CMP- Great people to work with in an environment of uncertainty

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

Great opportunity to network. The people who work there are generally really dedicated and great to work with. Very intelligent group of individuals.

Cons

Compensation offered tends to be less than that of competitors. Unstable work environment due to constant changes. Salary doesn't increase greatly over time.

Communicate with your employees more about potential changes within company BEFORE they arise. Spend more time with your employees and less time with other senior managers.

CMP - Never ever ever work for them!

Former Employee - Editor In Chief in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Editor In Chief in Manhasset, NY

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

If you want to learn how badly an employee can be treated, then CMP is the place for you! Also a great experiance if you want to know how it feels to have others take credit for your work. If you want to learn how to throw journalistic integrity out the window and opperate with no scrupples, CMP is a great place to learn!

Cons

Arrogent and uncaring managment. Slave-driving attitude. Workers are constantly belittled. Machavellian tactics are always used. Managment constanly lies! Loyalty to the company is rewarded by termination. The company firmly believes in the axiom "penny smart and pound foolish". Upper managment and execs are rewarding themselves for a job poorly done and are thankless to those who actually do the work.

Replace yourselves with competent individuals!

CMPi (London)

Former Employee - Online Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Online Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at CMP Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

lively, can-do environment
    one of world's premier publishing house
    AMAZING views across Thames and London from 9th floor!

Cons

fabulous onsite canteen will make you pile on pounds and spend lunch at your desk

What a Joke!

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at CMP Media

Pros

Good benefits and casual work environment.

Cons

Unbelievably unorganized company. "Management" in HR Dept. is a joke and puts more emphasis on quotas than the actual quality of the employees. Hated going to work every day. If you want job growth, challenges and people that respect you don't work for CMP.

Stop mico-managing and get organized. You'll never make it with the big boys in Publishing until your company grows up. The employees that you hire are sub-par at best and you're hiring people for the wrong reasons.