CNA

Updated Apr 3, 2014

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed

Tom Motamed

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Tax Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNA full-time for less than a year

ProsNice people. Great benefits. Mid-pace environment.

ConsToo much laid-offs, fire every quarter

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

A return to "Mad Men"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary and PTO, some nice co-workers

ConsCNA used to be a great place to work, but over time, culture became an episode of "Mad Men." It is a "one size fits all" management approach to every issue. The company has a rigid, top down management style without much room for innovation or creativity. This can be rather stifling and suffocating at times. The company has become overly process driven thinking this will somehow make them profitable. All that happens is more work for employees who are struggling with myriad vendors - many whom are incompetent. It's a daily battle to get positive results when outside vendors control so many things and can make or break results. The fix? Hire another vendor. There is high employee turnover and no senior female leaders - they're all men. Until the older generation of senior leaders exit, I see no positive changes on the horizon. Every day you walk into the office, you are working with a skeleton crew of people who actually do the work, and then you open up the intranet page to see yet another SVP or President hired usually in Underwriting. It grew old.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop "processing" employees to death as a desperate measure to try to become profitable. Hiring ten more vendors to do what employees should be doing is not going to make CNA profitable and just creates more frustration and stress for employees. Every senior leader needs to sit at an adjuster's and/or claim support desk for 2 weeks as a prerequisite to keep his job. Stop having meetings to talk about meetings and let people actually work for a change. Come back to the 21st century and allow employees to work from home occasionally and wear business casual attire as well. Stop taking perks away.

Will always struggle to be a consistent, stable place for employees and customers

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA full-time

ProsCompetitive pay and benefits. Many good and knowledgeable people.

ConsToxic culture among key leaders, making it difficult for quality leaders to drive a positive culture. Very political and difficult to get things done due to "turf wars". Work-life balance is not a valued trait in the culture. This is not the place for those who seek to drive innovation, creativity and who have an entrepreneurial spirit. An "old school" approach to management. Senior management will change every 5-8 years historically as do the strategy and values making it a challenged to maintain the consistency that is important to Agents, Clients and definitely to Employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to compete for top talent (attracting and retaining), the leadership view and culture needs to change.

CNA

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than a year

Proslocation, downtown Chicago, close to CTA

Conslow pay, no upward mobility

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Self Motivation and Under the Radar

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunity to grow the book is self motivated if the individual is willing to find work arounds. Learning opportunities abound. Do it yourself kind of company. Longevity is there if you function just under the radar. Meet the internal goals and you are a hero.

ConsNeed to be self directed. Need to assume responsibility to make things happen within the company dynamics. Planning efforts rarely pushed down to worker level. Need to find ways to get results while quietly working out of the box. Sometimes slow to respond to market interests.

Some really great years here and some really bad ones

Long Term Care (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent benefits, good base pay and bonus opportunities

ConsA number of upper level exec's seem to either be disturbed or blind to what goes on with some leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you let a VP RIF people take the time to review those folks work history / files / skills / past evals. I saw one VP RIF and/or drive off 10 highly rated (1's) employees who had tremendous skills and institutional knowledge. These were very high performers and committed employees with long positive history's with the company under many bosses. Simply because the VP felt threatened by them they were RIF'd for made up reasons and replaced with untested new folks (most of whom did not last a year). Sure the RIF'd got severance etc. but the company lost some real talent and treasures all because of one person. Why isn't someone at the highest level reviewing these releases. Great people are hard to find so it is a real shame and waste.

Mediocre company, average benefits, need to make more updates

Finance/Accounting (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNA full-time for less than a year

ProsWork Life Balance, Job Opportunites

ConsToo much red tape and using outdated systems, even Microsoft Office! Certain departments have no culture...come in do your job and go home.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and open. Need to create office culture.

Miserable work environment

Human Resources Consulting Director (Former Employee)

I worked at CNA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay across the board, regardless of area or level. New college hires are being brought in at mid 60s and up with generous signing bonuses as well.

ConsCNA forces a distribution curve for performance ratings. Managers are handed ratings for their people without having much nip I into the decision making process. Senior leadership makes ALL the decisions without having to deliver the message or feel the consequences of their actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd love to believe that they'd take advice provided here but they're all focused on doing what they're told and not making waves with Motamed so they can keep their cushy jobs.

Making strides to be better but not quite where it needs to be yet

Assistant Vice President Claims (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood pay and benefits, some good, tenured employees

Constop down management approach, "Mad Men" mentality, 50's-60's type management, very difficult to make changes, making negative policy changes lately, good employees are leaving

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your younger employees who are in the know about business in the modern world - business casual dress, more flexible working hours would be appreciated

Dynamic company

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpen to new ideas to improve performance

ConsUnwilling to spend $$$ for top talent

Advice to Senior Managementspend $$$ for top talent

Worked for CNA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CNA reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CNA CEO Tom Motamed. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by CNA employees.