CNA

Updated November 21, 2014
2.7

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed
Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, great people to work with (in 24 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr (in 14 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

102 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CNA was a great experience for my first time internship that exposed me to responsibility and leadership from the start.

Former Employee - Worldwide Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Worldwide Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-encourage moving between departments of the firm
    -supportive of employees' decisions regarding career path
    -great culture that emphasizes teamwork
    -provide a career guide to let employees know what they need to move up in the organization
    From the get go I was thrown into my project for the summer. I really liked it because I enjoy learning by doing and management was really helpful whenever I didn't understand something and needed help. Overall, this company is really trying to turn a new leaf, which was evidenced at their quarterly meeting that I was lucky enough to attend in my first couple weeks there. Everyone is motivated to improve themselves and the company.

Cons

-antiquated technology that makes work harder than it has to be
    -lots of red tape

Micromanaging-Not open to suggestions

Former Employee - Svcs Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Svcs Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cooperation between managers and teamwork in getting tasks/project accomplished.

Cons

Micromanaging, you hire for a person's past experience however you want them to manage the way that you see fit.

Survey the different management styles on a consistent basis. Also, be more considerate being more open to changes.
    Take a look at why so many terminations under certain managers.

Overall great work experience!

Current Employee - CNA Accounting Rotational Business Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CNA Accounting Rotational Business Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High mobility, great people and office culture, continuous constructive feedback, development plan, financial curriculum provided, tuition reimbursement available, work-life balance

Cons

High mobility means you might have to work with a manager that is also new in his position.

Was a good place to work 5 yrs ago, not anymore

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Gym, work/life balance, location in Chicago.

Cons

Benefits, no work from home flexibility, management directed moves, forced performance ratings.

The theory of moving into different jobs to gain knowledge, great! The execution in which CNA management implemented it, terrible. Don't force employees to move into positions they have no interest in.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offers job development through many company classes.
    Great holiday pay
    Job advancement for some departments

Cons

Rolling layoffs (all year), there is always a cloud of doom. It is not if you get laid off, but when.
    Little opportunity for growth in one's department. To advance, you have to seek an opportunity in another department.

Great place, great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, great people to work with. There is a lot of collaboration and you feel like you are an important part of a team. I also have a lot of autonomy and my manager does not micromanage. There is real trust between employees and management to get things done. The benefit of working in Chicago is that you have access to the gym, which is a great outlet for a lunchtime break. The health and well being of employees is important to the company.

Cons

As with any large corporation, there is constant change, some may not be able to adapt to the change.

Good areas and ok areas to work for. Focus on what you want out of the job and career

Former Employee - Senior Project Management Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Project Management Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Given the right situation this can be a good career stop and learning and develop professional. Overall good environment to learn big company approach and it can be a good training grounds for next job.

Cons

Need to look out for your own Career. If you make a mistake or take risk it could live with you for the rest of your career there. Depending on your management it could limit your career opportunities.

Focus and developing your people and give them opportunities to take on risk so that your company can move forward and improve your operations. There is a fear culture and do not be wrong type of environment.

An incredibly challenging place to work.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers were great. Benefits were ok, but not great.

Cons

There was no work/life balance at all. Some Managers were promoted based on their ability to suck up to higher ups. they had no people skills, and little to none technical ability. There was little to n available for most staff in the IT area.

Clean the poor managers out.

Great company to work for, but experience varies with department and managers.

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many departments to transfer in and out which can help build skill sets. On-site fitness facility. Great name recognition. Excellent experience until new management came into the Select Risk group.

Cons

The VP was the worst I have ever worked for in my life. Egomaniac, took credit for our work, pitted us against each other, torched the program to the point where they shut down the entire transportation department.

Generally favorable, though environment seems to be changing.

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Corporate headquarters in Chicago is a good location, good building, nice gym and cafeteria.
    People are decent and try to do their best even though things keep changing around them.
    Salary and bonuses are equitable and sometimes above average. Company has consistently paid out bonuses to most eligible employees over the past 10-12 years, which is great.

Cons

Constant change. Worry over company being sold.
    Some floors have gone to a quasi-open work station model (even worse than prior cubicle model) that offers not even the pretense of any privacy.
    There are not always opportunities to advance, even with hard work and good results. Like many companies, CNA has to continually search for ways to cut expenses.