CNA

CNA Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed

Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5(in 20 reviews)

• good pay and benefits, some good, tenured employees(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not a valued trait in the culture(in 10 reviews)

• Senior management is out-of-touch with the reality of what line level employees have to face every day(in 6 reviews)

Good place to work!

ProsFriendly please easy to work with.

ConsNothing to complain at all.

Generally favorable, though environment seems to be changing.

Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCorporate headquarters in Chicago is a good location, good building, nice gym and cafeteria.
    People are decent and try to do their best even though things keep changing around them.
    Salary and bonuses are equitable and sometimes above average. Company has consistently paid out bonuses to most eligible employees over the past 10-12 years, which is great.

ConsConstant change. Worry over company being sold.
    Some floors have gone to a quasi-open work station model (even worse than prior cubicle model) that offers not even the pretense of any privacy.
    There are not always opportunities to advance, even with hard work and good results. Like many companies, CNA has to continually search for ways to cut expenses.

Good consulting gig

ProsGood consulting experience. Knowledgeable project team. Respected for project leadership and given autonomy desired to successfully complete project work.

ConsStaff morale has been harmed by successive organizational reorgs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to build Career

Information Technology PM (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYearly Reviews w/ great bonus potential and salary raises, great managers depending on the area, supportive colleagues.

ConsThe quality of diversity is poor in mid-upper level positions. Other cultures are just as qualified if not better.

Ever-reorganizing, stale products, and reactionary leadership.

Specialty Lines Underwriting Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Proson-site health club. Friendly field employees (making the best of bad executive leadership by being nice to each other).

Consunresponsive, unreliable leadership (field and product). Product and field leaders are not in tune and leave the field employees confused and clueless. Ultimately paying the price by never being able to achieve their goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementField and product need to proactively engage each other before delivering messages to the field. Be on the same page and help the field work with their distribution partners.

Overall a good experience

Underwriter Specialist (Former Employee) Maitland, FL

ProsGood benefits.
    Lots of on the job training provided.
    They tend to promote within.
    You can "buy" extra PTO time.

ConsSalary lower than average.
    HR department is lazy and unresponsive.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at what other companies agree paying for the same position. Overhaul your terrible HR department.

Used to be a good place to work; now the only thing that matters are the metrics.

ProsChallenging work in specialty claims.

ConsCurrent senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions. Training is non-existent. Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of just talking the talk about your employees being your most important asset, start showing them.

The worst job I ever had in my entire career

Something In the Accounting Department (Former Employee) Maitland, FL

ProsI needed a job and I took this one because I was being laid off from my former job. I had to take a cut in pay of course, because the pay was lousy.

ConsNo training
    Poor management
    Poor morale
    Poor human resources department
    Very unprofessional environment
    Hated this job, every second was pure torture

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and start over. Oh, wait. They already did that, about a thousand times and they still have the same problems.

Not pleasant

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are a few good people in the company.

ConsThe bureaucracy and red tape is ridiculous. Nothing can be accomplished in the company. Every couple of years there is a round of layoffs.

Good mostly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeam.
    Excellent managers.
    Training.
    Ok salary

ConsNo work life balance. Upper level management took no measures to curb high attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on attrition. Set realistic high expectations.

Worked for CNA? Contribute to the Community!