CNA

CNA Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed

Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5 (in 20 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr (in 12 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Leadership Sorely Lacking

Senior Policy Service Representative (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsThere is a hard working body of workers. You might find yourself making a few good friends. Benefits are the usual but health coverage is subpar.

ConsI worked at CNA for a pretty long time. I finally gave my notice and left. The reasons were numerous but mostly centered around the most over-used word at CNA -- Leadership. Does "Leadership" mean a supervisor who doesn't answer email, a manager who can't respond to a question about a job posting or a director who thinks it's appropriate to email me her goodbye when her desk is less than 10 steps away? I don't think so and neither do the 70 or so others I watched walk out during my time there. There is a great book called The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader. In this book the author, John C. Maxwell, talks about those all too important qualities that great leaders must have. This is an excellent book for those that actually have these qualities to begin with and want to develop them more. Leaders must have CHARACTER. What does that mean? Doing the right things -- always. "Character is more than just talk. Followers do not trust leaders whose character they know to be flawed, and they will not continue following them." Probably one of the reasons why the turnover is so high at CNA. At CNA we wanted leaders to stand up for us but they didn't have the COURAGE. "If you don't have the ability to see when to stand up and the conviction to do it, you'll never be an effective leader." I could go on but the point is this: If you want to join the CNA team think long and hard about whether or not you will be able to stand the frustration that you must endure to work there. Luckily I'm at a company now that does a much better job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the foresight to realize that a baseball team does not consist of 9 pitchers. Quit surrounding yourselves with clones of yourselves and seek more diversity. You'll be able to build a stronger team. Concentrate on problem solving and IMPLEMENTING solutions. Don't know what to do? Ask your people and LISTEN but you MUST act too!

Petty Politics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFlexible Work Schedule
    Work From Home Opportunities

ConsToo Much Focus on Personalities and not enough on the work at hand
    Leadership is absent most of the time
    No Home Work Life Balance
    Benefits are costly with large deductibles
    Systems are inadquate
    Too Many Chiefs and not enough Indians

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the Culture

Used to be a good place to work; now the only thing that matters are the metrics.

ProsChallenging work in specialty claims.

ConsCurrent senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions. Training is non-existent. Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of just talking the talk about your employees being your most important asset, start showing them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst job I ever had in my entire career

Something In the Accounting Department (Former Employee) Maitland, FL

ProsI needed a job and I took this one because I was being laid off from my former job. I had to take a cut in pay of course, because the pay was lousy.

ConsNo training
    Poor management
    Poor morale
    Poor human resources department
    Very unprofessional environment
    Hated this job, every second was pure torture

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and start over. Oh, wait. They already did that, about a thousand times and they still have the same problems.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsA solid group of co-workers who really gave their all to help the organization.

ConsI have never seen a company with a worse culture. The Denver site changed for the worse after the Chicago brain trust sent in its proxies to run the operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house, particularly the managers and executives in World Wide Operations and the Western Service Center. The approach they take is far out of line with modern expectations of what a leader should be.

Miserable work environment

Human Resources Consulting Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat pay across the board, regardless of area or level. New college hires are being brought in at mid 60s and up with generous signing bonuses as well.

ConsCNA forces a distribution curve for performance ratings. Managers are handed ratings for their people without having much nip I into the decision making process. Senior leadership makes ALL the decisions without having to deliver the message or feel the consequences of their actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd love to believe that they'd take advice provided here but they're all focused on doing what they're told and not making waves with Motamed so they can keep their cushy jobs.

Churn and Burn..A classic evil empire.. with lots of jerks at the top,

Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsAlmost none. Salaries can be good but the jobs don't last. The company is ruthlessly greedy and pushes to extreme for production when there are few differentiators for the company. The market is wary and aware of the poor image.

ConsUnderwriters are disposable. They hire and fire and keep expecting better results without consideration of toll on morale. Extreme production pushing making underwriter sell an somewhat inferior product.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and get a conscience. Lose the attitude and vulgar attitudes.

This is a stressful place to work. Micro management is practiced at all levels.

ProsThere are no pros to working for this company. Except a dependable paycheck.

ConsThere is constant turnover, huge workloads, short term view of results, systems are outdated, difficult to use, and down all the time. They treat employees like resources instead of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk employees anonymously, not managers, what is going on. Treat people better. Listen to what employees are saying. Look at the long term.

Horrific place to be!!! Very hostile environment!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUnfortunately, I have no pros about this company whatsoever.

ConsI have never seen discrimination to this magnitude. My first week here was a nightmare. I was thrown in to sink or swim and had no adequate training. Spoken to without dignity or respect as a professional. Overworked and underpaid. The management doesn't value employees but label you as a number instead. Its a constant revolving door around here. One slight mistake and they are out for blood which is your job. I'm interviewing as we speak and will never consider anyone to work here. The processes in place are completely terrible. There are a lot of meeting with no real resolutions. When I came in here there were 2 people who where in the process of leaving and now 2 weeks later another 2 is leaving. I have only been here for 60 days and ready to run. I have to say that this was the biggest mistake in my career and I'm completely mortified. I came from work environments that were pleasant with positive reinforcement. You were compensated for hard work and accomplishments. I have never seen so many AVP's and SVP's that have no one that report to them, completely incompetent and look down on people with smaller titles. They are big on titles and small on hard work of others. Nevertheless, for those that are considering an opportunity with this circus please reconsider. You have more clowns in here than real people. Don't make the mistake that I did with the big pretty building and the lake view. When I read all of the bad reviews, I knew I was not going crazy here. I'm so grateful to stumble on this site. To have real people on here that feel the same way and to voice it is amazing. I didn't get a degree and have 15 years of experience to be not treated like this. The employees that work here need to put a serious lawsuit in for discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house from the top. Value your employees, make some serious upgrades to the technology and start a business approach that makes sense.

Big Mistake in my career path. Only consider if you have no other options.

Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) Littleton, CO

ProsPay and Benefits. Pay is a pro until you have to look for another job. If you want to keep a good face in the market place this company is not for you.

ConsHorrible leadership. Management is cold and heartless. The company has high turnover and no regard for you personally. Past employees should consider coming together to file a lawsuit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have worked for several insurance companies and never experienced the mistreatment like I did at CNA. The word has caught on and agencies are fully aware of the behavior of management toward employees. Insured's will be the next. I can promise you if insured's understood the culture at CNA they wouldn't place coverage with this company.

Worked for CNA? Contribute to the Community!