CNA Reviews

Reset
2.8
CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed
Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5 (in 24 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not a valued trait in the culture (in 14 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Dynamic, engaging environment that has helped me grow professionally.

Current Employee - Actuary in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Actuary in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management cares about and invests in people here. I have people that look out for me and help be successful. I feel like I am part of building something here. There is a real opportunity to make a difference. I find that energizing.

Cons

This is a big company and that has inherent challenges. We are investing significantly in improving our technology but I think we are still behind a bit.

Advice to Management

Embrace the younger generation that is excited to be a part of building a great company here.

Run Far Far Away...

I worked at CNA

Pros

Decent benefits. Close to public transportation. Has amenities like a cafeteria and parking.

Cons

Soul crushing, gutting, and in all ways a mistake. Management played blatant favoritism towards people who went to certain schools and or certain nationalities. If you were an Irish Catholic who went to Fenwick you would do ok there. In certain departments there was absolutely no room for growth and you could be see people just wasting thier career for less than mediocre pay. It seems like the kind of place where if you don't care you will be in good company. Most days people barely manage to drag a comb through thier hair before going to work because they have just given up on ever finding joy ever.

Advice to Management

Time to retire. I'm not certain how much joy you can achieve by sucking the life out of those that you spend all you waking hours with.

3. Bureaucratic

Current Employee - Legal Assistant
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant

I have been working at CNA

Pros

There were some really dedicated professional people working at CNA.

Cons

CNA was a large bureaucratic company and there was so much redundancy in terms of process and need for approval in decisionmaking at least while I was there. Rather than going ahead and being able to make a decision, you'd have to go to two people and their supervisor. The people who spent 75% of their time working and 25% talking about what they did seemed to get more recognition than those who spent 100% of their time doing their job. Because there were so many locations, you seemed insignificant.

Advice to Management

Tune in to how all levels of staff are interacting with each other.

In search of inspirational leadership and innovation.

I have been working at CNA

Pros

Competitive salary. Good mix of talent.

Cons

Senior Management changes every 5-7 years and so does the strategy. Management changed again in 2009 and organization still in limbo after 15 months. Struggling to fill key leadership positions and attract top talent. Employee morale and buy in is deteriorating. Many of the stronger leaders leaving and top staff likely to follow over next 6-12 months. Reputation of instability among Agents is likely to be further exacerbated.

Advice to Management

We need strong Leaders that inspire with vision and innovation. The "old school" Managemenet approach of "do this" and merely "execute" is not going to retain and draw top talent to this company that could be great, but continues to stumble.

A Joke

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA

Pros

The location and benefits are OK, but the new leadership and multitude of red tape and outdated processes make it almost impossible to succeed.

Cons

High expectations for employees but no support to achieve. There are so many processes and outmoded technologies that most employees are handicapped at trying to do a good job. The new CEO doesn't seem to have a clue, he's just focused on "winning." It's too bad because there are a lot of good people in the company, but they have no support to succeed.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO and leaders who know what they're doing.

7. Corporate. After $. Does not value employees.

I worked at CNA

Pros

CNA has a huge reputation and name. It's also got a great location, right in the loop, if you're located at the Home Office.

Cons

Management is a mess. There are so many power struggles and miscommunication from management. Work is often bottle-necked and, often, management neglects to provide the big picture behind the work they ask of their employees.

Advice to Management

Value and respect your employees more. Provide more insight into the big picture. Communicate with employees and with each other more.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Appplication Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Appplication Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA

Pros

Company has a good business model and able to retain good amount of policy holder. Business is growing every year. it's always good to join company which is growing.

Cons

Company should show the trust in their employee and Concentrate on IT department. Always changes are not good. They should revisit their IT strategy. Employee are losing their trust, moral and enthusiasm.

Advice to Management

Meeting after meeting after meeting

I have been working at CNA

Pros

pay is decent can work from home as needed CNA has the right ideas but struggles with execution

Cons

senior management in my area is a joke. you work like a dog all year and are then rated Meets Expectations my direct manager can't provide feedback without being condescending no real accountability for nonperformance

Advice to Management

take a good hard look at some of your "veteran" leaders and keep cleaning house in the Big Red building Corporate Center functions (Finance, Communications, HR) have the worst leadership (SVP, VP level) running the place

Worst job I ever had, overworked, no support, and overtime not normally allowed.

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Maitland, FL

I worked at CNA

Pros

The pay was very good, and the benefits were great!

Cons

No support, and overtime not readily available. No flexibility in schedule.

Advice to Management

Either hire more employees to support complex cases, or refer them to outside counsel. Overtime should be approved if workload warrants it without a hassle. Offer flex time.

Bad Culture

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, and decent benefits for employees.

Cons

Management does not cultivate or develop fresh employees. The culture is extremely cut-throat and polarized between tenured employees and new-comers. There is no effort to promote teamwork and a collaborative environment.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to be either re-trained or removed.

RSS Feed </> Embed