CNA

Updated November 21, 2014
2.7

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed
Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, great people to work with (in 24 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr (in 14 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

CNA was a great experience for my first time internship that exposed me to responsibility and leadership from the start.

Former Employee - Worldwide Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Worldwide Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-encourage moving between departments of the firm
    -supportive of employees' decisions regarding career path
    -great culture that emphasizes teamwork
    -provide a career guide to let employees know what they need to move up in the organization
    From the get go I was thrown into my project for the summer. I really liked it because I enjoy learning by doing and management was really helpful whenever I didn't understand something and needed help. Overall, this company is really trying to turn a new leaf, which was evidenced at their quarterly meeting that I was lucky enough to attend in my first couple weeks there. Everyone is motivated to improve themselves and the company.

Cons

-antiquated technology that makes work harder than it has to be
    -lots of red tape

Micromanaging-Not open to suggestions

Former Employee - Svcs Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Svcs Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cooperation between managers and teamwork in getting tasks/project accomplished.

Cons

Micromanaging, you hire for a person's past experience however you want them to manage the way that you see fit.

Survey the different management styles on a consistent basis. Also, be more considerate being more open to changes.
    Take a look at why so many terminations under certain managers.

Overall great work experience!

Current Employee - CNA Accounting Rotational Business Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CNA Accounting Rotational Business Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High mobility, great people and office culture, continuous constructive feedback, development plan, financial curriculum provided, tuition reimbursement available, work-life balance

Cons

High mobility means you might have to work with a manager that is also new in his position.

Good Place to work

I have been working at CNA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good training program, good place to work. I am very new and cant provide much more.

Cons

I'm not aware of any cons, too new to make any kind of precise speculation.

Wish I hadn't joined the company

I have been working at CNA (less than an year)

Pros

ok work life balance, some good colleagues and really try to do their best, good onsite cafeteria, gym, and decent training.

Cons

From day one, I regretted joining the company. The culture is stifling, and everyone talks about "leadership" but I have yet to see a decent leader in my department. Terrible communication, transparency, no flexibility. High turnover. Old boys club, so new ideas are not entertained. Senior leaders in my department don't even talk to staff. Culture will have to catch up with younger hires as half the company will retire soon. If you're considering CNA for a job, please reconsider.

Culture needs more flexibility, work from home options, drop the business dress and leaders need development

Great!

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are excellent and from day one, decent amount of PTO, Virtual Environment is progressive, requirements of position had variety

Cons

Opportunity for growth for worker bees difficult, usually hire management from outside

Get the experience and leave.

Former Employee - Policy Service Representative in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Policy Service Representative in Reading, PA

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Educational assistance for insurance designations and college degrees. Many lines of insurance are provided by the company so there is a lot to learn about in preparation for your next transition

Cons

Upward mobility is almost non existent for employees in World Wide Operations. Management is big on creating development plans but nothing ever really comes about. Few people have actually been able to move into more rewarding and challenging roles. Outsiders with less experience and education are hired before internal candidates are even contacted.

The company is in a constant state of change. Underwriters are now required to be salesmen which pushes work down the line to less qualified processing employees, with no salary increases. WWO changes too often to keep up with. The changes are supposedly for the better, but quality and production goals are never met. Instead of changing the unrealistic standards, more tasks are added which require more time for transactions.

WWO is now merging divisions and eliminating positions. Some jobs are being outsourced while others are being eliminated in order to demote employees and cut salary. The business practices of management create a very negative environment to work in. They treat employees like pieces in a machine and in turn, employees complain constantly about anything they can. If you are considering a position in world wide operations, you need to be sure you can handle this kind of environment with a very low salary. I couldn't, so I left.

This is not Chubb. Some things just won't work at CNA that work at Chubb and vice-versa.
    If you allow qualified employees to move up, the turnover may be reduced. The hostility between management and employees will be reduced as well if people knew that the company cared.

Was a good place to work 5 yrs ago, not anymore

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Gym, work/life balance, location in Chicago.

Cons

Benefits, no work from home flexibility, management directed moves, forced performance ratings.

The theory of moving into different jobs to gain knowledge, great! The execution in which CNA management implemented it, terrible. Don't force employees to move into positions they have no interest in.

POOR AND MISERABLE WORK ENVIRONMENT

Former Employee - Licensed Client Specialist in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Licensed Client Specialist in Maitland, FL

I worked at CNA (less than an year)

Pros

Working hours and paid holidays

Cons

Unlicensed supervisors and managers. Unaware of insurance licenses , contracts and law. Poor employment practices, retaliation when your opinions or ideas are presented. Not enough personnel to handle incoming calls. Making unlicensed employees handle calls over the phone. Principal director came from the insurance Business where her poor performance made upper management terminate her employment, which is what is happening to this operation.

Bring capable personnel licensed and trained in Insurance Business willing to asume responsibilities and not to empowered themselves over poor management decisions.

Great Training Program

Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive Training Program in the Insurance Industry; Opportunities for Advancement within the company;

Cons

Mixed Messages to your agents regarding appetite; Unwilling to take risk as trying to overcome the loss history and will no longer write the challenging risks

Consider promotions within the company first