CNA Reviews

Reset
2.9
CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed
Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5 (in 24 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not a valued trait in the culture (in 14 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Dynamic, engaging environment that has helped me grow professionally.

Current Employee - Actuary in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Actuary in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management cares about and invests in people here. I have people that look out for me and help be successful. I feel like I am part of building something here. There is a real opportunity to make a difference. I find that energizing.

Cons

This is a big company and that has inherent challenges. We are investing significantly in improving our technology but I think we are still behind a bit.

Advice to Management

Embrace the younger generation that is excited to be a part of building a great company here.

2. NA

Pros

There are not maybe pros at this time

Cons

Layoffs, and outsourcing everyone is losing job and they are hiring people in other states to do the same job we have been doing for years.

3. Culture shock

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid time off and holidays paid.

Cons

No telecommuting, business attire, terrible culture.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and pay attention to culture since it greatly impacts morale.

Poor Management

I worked at CNA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers that make the work enjoyable. Good PTO and very good 401K plan. Multi offices so you can move around the country.

Cons

Management looks out for themselves over their employees. High turnover in all departments. Very disorganized and company does not have clear objection. Heath insurance is one of the worse in industry.

Advice to Management

Need to put better senior leadership in place if you want to be able to compete with other national carriers.

6. Operations Analyst

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very comparable to every other insurance company.

Cons

Cons are the same as every other insurance company.

Advice to Management

No advice.

7. CNA review

Pros

Benefits are good and work life balance is a welcome change of pace. Constant growth opportunities.

Cons

Large company going through lots of change. Must be proactive about finding and capitalizing on opportunities.

8. Great company

Pros

Analytics driven company with focus on retaining talented people. Leaders challenge status quo. Great location. Financially sound and offers decent compensation for work.

Cons

Needs a growth strategy and cohesive distribution management plan. Needs to penetrate some niche markets. Needs to shrink some segments that the company doesn't have strengths.

9. Enjoyable place to work if you find your niche

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time

Pros

Well managed, now has a clear strategy and direction and slowly progressing financials.

Cons

Still quite conservative but becoming more experimental with techniques to enhance and reinforce its strategy

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits, wonderful team members on site cafeteria was awesome

Cons

Lousy management top down. Culture is one of intimidation and mistrust. When I started in 2007 telecommuting was allowed one day a week., we were empowered to do the best we could and we did! However by 2012 the company began to change, HR was taken over by politically correct staffers (former senate staffers of the President).Culture became we v. they with every thing monitored for political correctness. Emails and everything began to be monitored. The company began to lose business and instead of talking to the employees for ideas to help fix the bleeding they turned on the employees. Monoitoring increased, telecommuting canceled, dress changed abck to the old business drees code. Christmas and all holiday celebrations were banned as they could offend certain people. emails were monitored for the use of certain words that could offend anyone.(except for whites). Meanwhile the corporate online paper touted and hailed "alternative life styles", as well as people of color (no Asians or whites). I was very lucky to be offered a similar position with a market rate salary and normalcy. After almost a year on the job, it is so nice to breathe!

Advice to Management

treat your employees with trust and respect across ALL color and cultural lines. Stop setting up we vs. they scenarios between employees and management. Your original business model was great if you wish to continue in operation go back to it. everyone actually got along with trust and respect. too bad you chose PC over profit. Good luck

11. Getting Better...Still has some work to do

I worked at CNA full-time

Pros

Starting to adopt new technology and modern dress. The company seems to be moving in the right direction from a technology standpoint, however there is still a lot of work to get done

Cons

Meetings, on meetings on meeting on meetings. Sort of reminds me of Mad Men. Needs to better allocate resources in order to minimize undo strain on employees

Advice to Management

Trim some of the middle management fat, and listen to your grass roots employees. All companies need to lead from the top, however they need to work on developing select middle managers and lower level employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed