CNA Reviews

Reset

1. Industry leader

Current Employee - New Hire in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - New Hire in Maitland, FL

I have been working at CNA (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company with competitive benefits.

Cons

I have no cons to express

Advice to Management

I have no words of advice to management at this time, other than to say what they already know, A management team must be sure to make all employees feel as if their job (no matter what title) is critical to the companies success as a whole.

great opportunities

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

interesting work, good work / life balance, decent pay, opportunity to grow

Cons

workload is significant; political climate makes it difficult to move things fast

Advice to Management

continue rewarding and investing in your talent

3. Na

I have been working at CNA

Pros

Nice people not sure what else

Cons

None not really sure of a con

Former employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible co-workers and flexible hours.

Cons

Unprofessional management who are biased and judge employees. They do not treat employees fair. Employees are held to different standards than standards as a team/group.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees/team members. Assist them towards their goals to have a strong, solid team. Otherwise, you will continue to lose great employees and the company will continue to have the horrible reputation that it has. Also, CNA is an insurance company - you should insure the employees with great benefits instead of leaving employees with medical bills due to a horrible insurance plan you offer.

CNA

Current Employee - Migration Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Migration Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers aided in sharing information which made the job easier.

Cons

Contract job, very very hard to get into door and they out source all there IT support thru agencies

Chronically broken, horrible culture

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits package was exceptional. Great company to take some risk to grow, develop and advance your career -- then get out!

Cons

The culture of the place is just horrible. Current senior management does not care about employees, despite saying they do. They value ego maniac cut throat shark type of leaders. Knee jerk management style, constant knee jerk changes in strategies and goals. Even if you achieve stated goals, some senior leaders still tell you its not enough, brow beat you at performance review time. They adopted GE style performance management philosy in 2010 -- people are force ranked into '4' and '5' ratings and put on performance improvement plan PIP which is stacked against them from the start and then the person is fired. Constant layoffs, random firings of VERY talented, contributing employees. No explanation ever provided. The "Axe" is always swinging....keep you head down. So glad I finally got wise and quit this poorly run company. Company I work for now is the exact opposite of CNA. Quitting was the best thing I ever did.

Advice to Management

Leave the company and let a leadership team come in that knows what they are doing and who really care about agent customers and employees.

Very happy

Current Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster in Portland, OR

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k plan is best I have seen. Good PTO, ability to buy more. Very laid back, flexible with your personal life.

Cons

Medical premium/deductible really sucks. Not a lot of room for growth internally

DANGER...AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!

Former Employee - Ocean Marine Claims Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ocean Marine Claims Representative in New York, NY

I worked at CNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent training opportunities OUTSIDE of the company -My manager was in on the other side of the country, so very little micromanagement -Pay was decent

Cons

Where do I begin... -I received almost ZERO in-house training and procedures. I learned as I went along -Was dumped a caseload of around 100 open files to start with, many already in litigation -absurd procedures and policies on file handling, which are clearly driven by the financial industry regulation following 2008 AND the idea that marine insurance should be run like an auto insurance company - churn, churn, churn those claims in a timely matter - BUT expecting 100% accuracy all the time!! -The "File Review"... even the experienced handlers are terrified is afraid of this...which is performed by auditors outside of the marine claims world. Everyone seems to feel that their job is dependent on these yearly reviews. -A high turn over rate among claims handlers - no one lasts here, and even the claims veterans move on to seek safer shores with more functional companies that value their claims handling abilities -No chance to move up - the middle management has been there for decades, and they aren't going anywhere - no one else would hire them! Supervisors (called managers) are clearly a boot licking position, who have only survived the purges following the economic downturn based on their sycophantic behavior - the turnover among middle managers (the supervisors bosses) should speak for itself.

Advice to Management

I get it...no one likes their claims departments...we pay out the money that the sales teams bring in! At CNA, you really are made to feel like to feel like a bandit, and shamed for authorizing payments on policies that shouldn't have been underwritten in the first place!! Ease the case load on your best employees, and actually spend time training your new hires! Also, drop these absurd, across the board policies - take some time to understand how marine insurance works - i.e. ADJUSTING IS AN ART, NOT A SCIENCE. The turnover will continue as long as CNA continues to treat its claims staff the way it does now.

Not what it used to be

I worked at CNA

Pros

CNA was a great place to work until the last several years.

Cons

Unsure of the future of the company.

Advice to Management

Share the company's vision with the employees.

Policy Support Assistant - PSA Review

Current Employee - Policy Support Assistant in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Policy Support Assistant in Littleton, CO

I have been working at CNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, friendly and helpful staff. Dependable hours and benefits.

Cons

Quick business decision making, not enough training for outsourced work.

Advice to Management

Keep the work on-shore.

RSS Feed </> Embed