CNA

Employer Engaged

POOR AND MISERABLE WORK ENVIRONMENT

Former Employee - Licensed Client Specialist in Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Licensed Client Specialist in Maitland, FL

I worked at CNA (less than a year)

Pros

Working hours and paid holidays

Cons

Unlicensed supervisors and managers. Unaware of insurance licenses , contracts and law. Poor employment practices, retaliation when your opinions or ideas are presented. Not enough personnel to handle incoming calls. Making unlicensed employees handle calls over the phone. Principal director came from the insurance Business where her poor performance made upper management terminate her employment, which is what is happening to this operation.

Bring capable personnel licensed and trained in Insurance Business willing to asume responsibilities and not to empowered themselves over poor management decisions.

command and control

I have been working at CNA (more than 10 years)

Pros

People, growth opportunities, coverage, forms

Cons

Strategies change, heavy turnover challenges agency relationships, windows XP - really? Senior leadership focused on their own strategies .

Listen and action on your most recent employee survey.

Great place, great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, great people to work with. There is a lot of collaboration and you feel like you are an important part of a team. I also have a lot of autonomy and my manager does not micromanage. There is real trust between employees and management to get things done. The benefit of working in Chicago is that you have access to the gym, which is a great outlet for a lunchtime break. The health and well being of employees is important to the company.

Cons

As with any large corporation, there is constant change, some may not be able to adapt to the change.

Positive, yet frustrating

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CNA

Pros

Well paid, managers are responsive to employee options and the work is interesting

Cons

Work life balance could be better and the HR department has some real flaws. Internal training programs need work.

Improve the HR department

Good areas and ok areas to work for. Focus on what you want out of the job and career

Former Employee - Senior Project Management Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Project Management Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Given the right situation this can be a good career stop and learning and develop professional. Overall good environment to learn big company approach and it can be a good training grounds for next job.

Cons

Need to look out for your own Career. If you make a mistake or take risk it could live with you for the rest of your career there. Depending on your management it could limit your career opportunities.

Focus and developing your people and give them opportunities to take on risk so that your company can move forward and improve your operations. There is a fear culture and do not be wrong type of environment.

Depressing

I have been working at CNA

Pros

Cafeteria, gym (you pay of course), that is it. If you like to self congratulate and pad your ego with white men this is the place !!!

Cons

Depressing work environment ), old building with old building problems, sad smelly bathrooms, no cultural or ethnic diversity (look at cnas leadership page), no women in leadership positions, too much self promotion by management not enough development of talent with recognition, low pay compared to competitors, low job placement if hired (with years of experience expect to be placed in a entry level position) , no sick or work from home

Transparency of leadership and initiatives is a must ( I have no idea what our head of hr does except read prescripted notes 4 times a year) , fix the work culture by infusing new smart young talent, fix work environment by using all elevators ( usually 3 shut down for "energy conservation" purposes), revamp cubicles for open air system like tech companies do, update bathrooms, need perks like free coffee snacks, pay for our gym memberships, provide sick days and work from home on Friday for mothers and fathers

Frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Current Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Current Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn. You have the ability to expand your knowledge whether on the job or thru other means such as a course online. A lot of work.

Cons

Sometimes you feel you are working on an assembly line. A lot of people work hard. Need to improve paying for performance. Need to be more transparent with strategy and long term goals.

Be more visible to remote offices. Talk more about the true goals and strategy. Show that the employees are appreciated, those that work hard. Stop saying one thing publicly only to have your leadership implement something different.

Great company to work for, but experience varies with department and managers.

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many departments to transfer in and out which can help build skill sets. On-site fitness facility. Great name recognition. Excellent experience until new management came into the Select Risk group.

Cons

The VP was the worst I have ever worked for in my life. Egomaniac, took credit for our work, pitted us against each other, torched the program to the point where they shut down the entire transportation department.

Ah, for the good ol'days

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits and autonomy to do my job

Cons

Lack of flexibility. The Emperor's New Clothes mentality.

Loosen up outdated restrictions on flexibility to work from home. Recognize that one size does NOT fit all. Stop managing through broad brush strokes.

An incredibly challenging place to work.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers were great. Benefits were ok, but not great.

Cons

There was no work/life balance at all. Some Managers were promoted based on their ability to suck up to higher ups. they had no people skills, and little to none technical ability. There was little to n available for most staff in the IT area.

Clean the poor managers out.