CNA

CNA Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed

Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5 (in 20 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr (in 12 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Dynamic company

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOpen to new ideas to improve performance

ConsUnwilling to spend $$$ for top talent

Advice to Senior Managementspend $$$ for top talent

Political work environment, building trust is difficult, management structure is rigid, and IT is all out-sourced

Executive Leadership (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLocation of company is convenient (very close to Michigan Avenue).

ConsLack of trust in management, all IT is out-sourced, difficult work environment. Have to watch your back at all times

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the modern era - retaining top talent means breaking down the barriers and stop working in the 40's-60's work atmosphere. Bring in new leaders and give them 'control' to remove the barriers and improve working conditions for employees.

Churn and Burn..A classic evil empire.. with lots of jerks at the top,

Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsAlmost none. Salaries can be good but the jobs don't last. The company is ruthlessly greedy and pushes to extreme for production when there are few differentiators for the company. The market is wary and aware of the poor image.

ConsUnderwriters are disposable. They hire and fire and keep expecting better results without consideration of toll on morale. Extreme production pushing making underwriter sell an somewhat inferior product.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and get a conscience. Lose the attitude and vulgar attitudes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Varying experiences depending on area

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood location, perks such as the gym, lots of community activism

ConsSome managers are good employees but not well trained to manage people

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to who you are promoting

This is a stressful place to work. Micro management is practiced at all levels.

ProsThere are no pros to working for this company. Except a dependable paycheck.

ConsThere is constant turnover, huge workloads, short term view of results, systems are outdated, difficult to use, and down all the time. They treat employees like resources instead of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk employees anonymously, not managers, what is going on. Treat people better. Listen to what employees are saying. Look at the long term.

No growth opportunites for movement

Financial Analyst Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood benefits and 401K plan

ConsFeels like working at a sweat shop day in and day out.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually look at employee surveys. "Results were so good we don't have to do them anymore"...right.

Not the best, not the worst

Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat benefits, great 401k plan

ConsCulture can be unpleasant in some departments

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many personal agendas for the organization to function as a team

Financial Analayst

ProsGood Company for a break in corporate world...

ConsPersonally it's not that easy to move around or grove in this type of industry... more competitive environment..

Horrific place to be!!! Very hostile environment!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUnfortunately, I have no pros about this company whatsoever.

ConsI have never seen discrimination to this magnitude. My first week here was a nightmare. I was thrown in to sink or swim and had no adequate training. Spoken to without dignity or respect as a professional. Overworked and underpaid. The management doesn't value employees but label you as a number instead. Its a constant revolving door around here. One slight mistake and they are out for blood which is your job. I'm interviewing as we speak and will never consider anyone to work here. The processes in place are completely terrible. There are a lot of meeting with no real resolutions. When I came in here there were 2 people who where in the process of leaving and now 2 weeks later another 2 is leaving. I have only been here for 60 days and ready to run. I have to say that this was the biggest mistake in my career and I'm completely mortified. I came from work environments that were pleasant with positive reinforcement. You were compensated for hard work and accomplishments. I have never seen so many AVP's and SVP's that have no one that report to them, completely incompetent and look down on people with smaller titles. They are big on titles and small on hard work of others. Nevertheless, for those that are considering an opportunity with this circus please reconsider. You have more clowns in here than real people. Don't make the mistake that I did with the big pretty building and the lake view. When I read all of the bad reviews, I knew I was not going crazy here. I'm so grateful to stumble on this site. To have real people on here that feel the same way and to voice it is amazing. I didn't get a degree and have 15 years of experience to be not treated like this. The employees that work here need to put a serious lawsuit in for discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house from the top. Value your employees, make some serious upgrades to the technology and start a business approach that makes sense.

Htrsy Vom[smu

Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA place where you move up or move to many departments. They support transferring from one department to another. If you like hard work and new experience this is the place for you.Great benefits and compensation. And they have continuing education, they support higher learning.

ConsThere are no downsides, great place to work expect sometime you may have mandatory overtime.

Worked for CNA? Contribute to the Community!