www.cna.com

Updated December 18, 2014
2.7

CNA Chairman and CEO Tom Motamed
Tom Motamed

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, great people to work with (in 24 reviews)

• Good work life balance and can easily work from home occasionally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management talks about work life balance but does not follow throughr (in 14 reviews)

• Current senior management does not understand how specialty underwriting and claims functions (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Will always struggle to be a consistent, stable place for employees and customers

Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. Many good and knowledgeable people.

Cons

Toxic culture among key leaders, making it difficult for quality leaders to drive a positive culture. Very political and difficult to get things done due to "turf wars". Work-life balance is not a valued trait in the culture. This is not the place for those who seek to drive innovation, creativity and who have an entrepreneurial spirit. An "old school" approach to management. Senior management will change every 5-8 years historically as do the strategy and values making it a challenged to maintain the consistency that is important to Agents, Clients and definitely to Employees.

If you are going to compete for top talent (attracting and retaining), the leadership view and culture needs to change.

Working at CNA is like being in a Mad Men episode. You just cannot believe your eyes and ears.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Standard benefits available to insurance professionals.

Cons

Where to start...top-heavy management structure, good ole boy's attitude in the workplace, limited promotion opportunities for internal candidates, culture of negativity as regards employee development.

The CEO's justification of CNA's high turnover percentage and poor employee retention statistics shows their anti-employee attitude. People do not always leave for more money or because they don't want to do the work. They leave to find better working environments and managers who are competent and professional.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

location, downtown Chicago, close to CTA

Cons

low pay, no upward mobility

none

Continues to head in a good direction (but can still be a grind)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good turn around story over past 5+ years driven by much better risk selection. Some grumble about CEO Motamed's style and the grind, but he has steered and focused the company well, and employees are more optimistic and on board with him compared to when he first became CEO.

Cons

Still too much emphasis on the grinding process and procedure, and, processes are frustrating and hampered by systems that need upgrading and investment, and the company could benefit by investing in additional key support staff to handle more of the process/admin stuff so that higher level folks responsible for putting business on the books aren't overly bogged down in admin/file maintenance tasks.

Some edicts come down from Chicago that seem out of touch with what is really happening on the ground at the local level.

Still a little top heavy i.e. too many chiefs and not enough foot soldiers.

Claims still has some room for improvement, and still tend to pay claims too easily.

Turnover is becoming a problem in underwriting with some good talent and experience leaving because they are frustrated by process and other issues that take away from the job of underwriting the risk and maintaining their agency relationships.

Be mindful of the talent drain. Listen to them, and do what needs to be done to retain them, and, as they move towards retirement, start thinking of ways to leverage their talent on a part time/consultant basis. Otherwise, by sheer demographics (esp in some departments), in the next 5-10 years, you will be losing a ton of experienced talent (i.e. your top segment experts) that are not easily replaced.

Self Motivation and Under the Radar

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow the book is self motivated if the individual is willing to find work arounds. Learning opportunities abound. Do it yourself kind of company. Longevity is there if you function just under the radar. Meet the internal goals and you are a hero.

Cons

Need to be self directed. Need to assume responsibility to make things happen within the company dynamics. Planning efforts rarely pushed down to worker level. Need to find ways to get results while quietly working out of the box. Sometimes slow to respond to market interests.

roller coaster ride

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

decent salary, great 401k. I really like my job and thought it would take me to retirement, when I was first hired the company was so positive , so proactive and PRO-employee. lots of training, let people really learn one thing at a time to become "master" . now they train everything in such a short time , jack of all trades, master of none.

Cons

very 50's old man drinking scotch type attitude, new CEO is taking the company backwards. sad really , because the company has so much potential. the management team in my dept has never done the work that we do. they were promoted from within but they don't know what we do so how can they judge us and set standards for work they have never done ? open door policy is a joke. you take a concern to the director and she tries to overrun you with her own opinion and never gives a real answer. they talk about accountability but only practice it when its convenient for them. I don't know if the whole company operates the way our dept does but if it does , then I can't see this company making it.

none really, I think its too late

Great work life balance

I worked at CNA full-time

Pros

Work life balance - everyone leaves by 5

Cons

Bureaucracy and corporate antics that can slow down career growth

Continue mentor programs so people at the top can continue to motivate and challenge less seasoned employees

Great place to launch career

Former Employee - Risk Control Intern
    Former Employee - Risk Control Intern

I worked at CNA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning environment and great place to launch a career. The exposure I had to different industries and different insureds provided me with invaluable experience.

Cons

Seemed like there was a lot of bureaucracy but I did not deal with this first hand. Being a branch office may have contributed to a disconnect in efficient decision making.

Some really great years here and some really bad ones

Former Employee - Long Term Care in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Long Term Care in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good base pay and bonus opportunities

Cons

A number of upper level exec's seem to either be disturbed or blind to what goes on with some leadership.

Before you let a VP RIF people take the time to review those folks work history / files / skills / past evals. I saw one VP RIF and/or drive off 10 highly rated (1's) employees who had tremendous skills and institutional knowledge. These were very high performers and committed employees with long positive history's with the company under many bosses. Simply because the VP felt threatened by them they were RIF'd for made up reasons and replaced with untested new folks (most of whom did not last a year). Sure the RIF'd got severance etc. but the company lost some real talent and treasures all because of one person. Why isn't someone at the highest level reviewing these releases. Great people are hard to find so it is a real shame and waste.

disappointed

I have been working at CNA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good pay, plenty of hard working employees there.

Cons

stressful working environment due to their review and bonus structure.