CNET Networks

CNET Networks Reviews

Not yet rated.

CNET Networks President & CEO Jim Lanzone

Jim Lanzone

Pros
  • Interesting work and staff ; good work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• The company culture is pretty laid back and work/life balance is encouraged for the most part(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I've been very frustrated with upper management in the past year or so(in 5 reviews)

• Senior management inexperienced in making hard--and necessary--calls(in 4 reviews)

Not what it used to be, but what is?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood people, good culture, but used to be better.

ConsToo much corporate baggage, salaries could be better

Sales Manager

Sales Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat company to work for. Smart, creative professional people. Comfortable work environment and good benefits .

ConsCould be a pro but average age is likely in the mid 20's.

CNET in Louisville was a great place to work

Web Developer (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsOffice environment was laid back, schedule was somewhat flexible but you still have to come in Mon-Fri. This could be different now as this was a few years ago. Folks would hang out on a Friday every month and drink beer.

ConsEngineers in San Francisco didn't seem to respect people in Louisville much, but that's generally the case anyway.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic launch pad for a career in technology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCoworkers are passionate about technology, and everyone loves being surrounded by others in the same boat. There are so many different departments within CNET that cover different facets of tech, that a good employee has the opportunity to prove themselves, then move around the company to try new things. One of the best things: Benefits are practically cadillac grade. AWESOME (and I miss it dearly)

ConsSince being purchased by CBS, a little more of that big company bureaucracy continued to creep in. Raises and promotions are sometimes only aided by your insistence of them. Pay is... so-so.

Working at CNET Networks

QA Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat location in downtown San Francisco, wonderful people that work there, open environment, afterwork parties every Thursday of the month

ConsSalaries are lower than average, raises are very small, benefits are below average compared to the leading Software services companies

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should listen more to the employees, middle management on average is doing a great job within the company

Pretty good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCNET is a fun, open-minded, fast-paced place to work. The company alues diversity and individuality and it shows. Supports work-life balance. One can grow in their job and advance.

ConsCNET can be a bit silo-ed with one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pedal to the medal. Though CNET pioneered new media, there are a lot of nimble competitors in each vertical these days.

CNET. Great workplace, average compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people and culture of the company is the best thing about the company. The work environment is full of passionate people.

ConsThe only real downside to the company is that the overall compensation range for employees is a lot lower than comparable companies in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to address the compensation aspect in order to increase the possibility of recruiting and hiring highly skilled employees and increasing employee retention.

Digital sweat shop

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWriting about interesting things. Good technical infrastructure.

ConsIt's a sweat shop for editorial staff. We just crank out copy and we can never crank out enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire robots to do the job.

Regional Sales Manager

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTools always available, excellent training, fun atmosphere, room for advancement, work hard/play hard environment

ConsLots of red tape, too much time for custom proposals. Stuck with obsolete and proprietary support systems that were often inaccurate and hard to use.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more upfront with employees on why major decisions are being made instead of sugarcoating. Employees see through this and know it's BS. We can take the honest info and go into the market with the pitch ourselves.

Trendy, hip persona externally, stale, boring internally.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking for established brands and some fun social activities.

ConsToo much dependence on legacy systems and too little knowledge and or documentation on how those systems work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to build systems the right way, rather than quickly and poorly.

Worked for CNET Networks? Contribute to the Community!