CNL Software

CNL Software Reviews

Updated May 5, 2014

CNL Software CEO Keith Bloodworth

Keith Bloodworth

A good company to work for that gave me opportunity to apply and grow my skills.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExciting products and customers. Opportunity to do work that really matters. A great team of likeminded people from different backgrounds. Relatively high salaries for the industry and location. I enjoyed my time but had to leave due to a change of personal circumstances. Would apply again if the opportunity arose.

ConsNot for everyone, but where is? Work was often intense and demanding. Some people have quit because they couldn’t take the pressure. Fewer perks than in a large company but not too different from other SMEs I’ve worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t delay correcting recruitment errors. Not everyone will turn out to be right and those that are not capable enough or don’t have the right attitude are better out than in. Complainers should take a good look at themselves!

Sinking Ship

(Former Employee)

ProsProduct is very powerful and could easily make CNL Software a profitable entity given the right management.

High pay for out of London business, with share options available which ultimately are worth nothing used to encourage staff to stay.

Often received small perks for working weekends, but feel this was done on favoritism rather than necessity for motivation.

Opportunity to travel the world

Some very committed individuals are keeping the company and spirit alive.

ConsDuring my time at CNL Software I had over 10 managers, often with long periods of other staff filling in whilst a replacement was found. With each manager comes new process' and management styles which leave staff struggling to adopt and demoralizing. Company-wide staff turnover was frankly a joke with people leaving/joining so fast that even within an office of 30 people names were not known.

Majority of long term key skilled staff have left leaving knowledge base all but gone. Key business ethics and values are derived from the CEO/founder who also employees 3 other family members who don’t use English to communicate when in the office which I found extremely rude.

The product was market leader a long time ago, however through high management turnover, lack of product/company leadership, innovation and an experienced product manager they have fallen so far behind I’m not optimistic they will ever recover.

Shortfalls and broken promises made by sales mean development and delivery teams are often under pressure to deliver the achievable in unrealistic timeframes, for this reason quality is over looked with development team in a reactive mode leaving innovation behind. Company oversight on good quality control means majority of the code base is untested and often needs to be re written.
    Management have no concept of staff having a life out of CNL, myself and other were often given less than 24 hours’ notice for long international business trips.

No effort is given to staff development or training, after repeatedly requesting training from each manager during my period there, ultimately each request was blocked by finance and/or top management.

Every employee works well over the allocated weekly hours giving their best to make the company a success, stick and carrot method soon loses its appeal after prolonged periods leaving staff burned out and demotivated.
    Left on my own accord.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees they have the company's best interests at heart. Rather that employing anyone to manage a department, spend a little more an employee a professional who can potentially save the business

At one time it had great potential but now feel that the end is almost near

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Knaphill, England (UK)

ProsPotential to earn lots of money. Worldwide travel. A exciting product that does have potential to actually make a difference

ConsUnfortunately this company is doomed. They're too late to market with changes to their product and their core code base is fundamentally flawed. Unfortunately their competitors have a more stable product which is simpler to use and install.

The management team is well nothing short of a joke. Nothing will change in this company until the founder, who is the CEO leaves the company and let's professionals take control. They will work you to the ground and the morale is lower than rock bottom! The employee turnover is unreal consequently meaning the core knowledge base is all but gone and those left I am sure are not far behind.

Zero benefits package, no pension, no bonus scheme, no perks, no team.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow many people can leave, how many people can tell you what's wrong to your face before you fail to act upon things. Time to step aside and employee someone to run the business for you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Broken Promises, Broken Dreams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- No London commute
    - Salary is high for the Knaphill area
    - Product has the 'cool' factor
    - Exposure to a wide range of technologies

Cons- Lack of good core values and culture
    - Large, mostly untested code base, makes work a daily grind
    - 'Hack it out quick' mentality discourages professionalism throughout the company
    - Top down management has created an atmosphere which is a chimera of 'The Office' and 'Dilbert'
    - High staff turnover and continous brain-drain has left a demoralised work force
    - An already top heavy leadership has increased in density after nearly everyone was given promotions
    - Gallows humour is sometimes the only thing keeping teams together

Advice to Senior Management- Trust, and listen to your staff more, and let them get on with the job without constant micro-management
    - Hire those with a history of technical excellence, rather than 'Bumblebees' who don't have experience
    - Recognise those who have made valuable contributions sooner, rather than later: when it is too late

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Happy to have moved on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOutside of London, the products potential.

ConsNo benefits unless government mandated and shares are given to a select few rather than a company wide incentive which leads to low morale and a favouritism culture.

No investment in training for individuals, no real staff appraisal process or development plans in place to help you grow. The word appreciate is used often but rarely rewarded in any way.

The company feels like a revolving door at times as people come and go quickly, often changing the processes and direction in the meantime. This causes immense pressure to deliver which results in lots of additional hours being expected of you and the feeling that miracles need to be performed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo have a clear plan for the direction of the product and create a company wide collaboration to achieve this. Rather than focus on the trivial and mundane invest in the staff and allow the time for great work to be produced. Encourage feedback from everyone and act upon it rather than a top down approach which leads to negativity and the feelings of the teams being unheard.

Could be a great company if it delivered on it's promises.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe technology and the product space are both very exciting.
    The pay is very high for the area.
    No commute to London required.
    Company is top 3 leader in its market.

ConsHigh, above average pay means executive management expect above average contribution, this is largely measured in hours.
    Benefits are non-existent outside of those mandated by law (the recent pension rules), share options have been offered to employees as incentives, but the scheme is informal and not open to all employees.
    The rules and policies change week by week as executive management change their minds, which can be extremely stressful and demoralizing for staff.
    The company is a revolving door of senior management and technical talent, ever changing management and team members make it very hard to deliver anything of worth, it's especially demoralizing when people simply leave work one evening, and never come back the next, which is very often the case here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the leaders/managers you put in place. Leave the staff at the coal-face to tackle the tasks they need to tackle, executive pressure constantly applied, simply loses great people, and damages the company. When people challenge your own ideas or perceptions, be open to them, and listen to the ideas of the people you hired.

Everyone signs up to the dream that this company could revolutionize it's industry, but then finds that the stress of helping it do so, is not worth a large paycheck.

Worked for CNL Software? Contribute to the Community!