CNL Software
www.cnlsoftware.com Knaphill, United Kingdom 16 to 50 Employees

CNL Software Reviews

Updated Nov 27, 2013
CNL Software – Woking – “CNL Software International HQ, Pollsmoor”

CNL Software CEO Keith Bloodworth

Keith Bloodworth

Fast paced company

Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCNL is a small fast paced company, which demands a lot from its team members, but offer a unique place to accelerate a career. If you have ambition and want to make a mark than this is the place to do it.

I have seen lots of people come through the company, make a huge impact over a number of years and leave to find a role they would ever have been able to get without the experience they had at CNL. It is not an easy ride, some days it can be tough, but at the end of those days, I do feel that I have achieved something significant. If you are like me and want to work in a company that is trying to achieve something no one has done before and where you have the opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities then consider CNL. If you are happier following a well-trodden path, then consider somewhere else.

The company is fairly flat, so senior management have a good understanding of what everyone is working on, some people see this as negative, but others enjoy the fact that their efforts are seen throughout the company.

ConsThe office is not in the best location, traffic can be bad on some days. The office is also not the newest or best equipped, but it is a good environment to focus on work without distractions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can’t please all of the people all of the time, don’t let the actions of a few change a winning formula.

A bad life experience - learnt a lot

I worked at CNL Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe product concept was very exciting.

Some lovely people to get to know.

Your forced to learn very quickly, a great place to develop people skills

Small office generally means you can find the people your looking for, unless your looking for management.

ConsExtremely demotivating environment and management team.

The company needs a lot of work, there were no solid processes, the company spends its whole time fighting fires which makes for a very stressful environment.

The company hasn't got the strong foundation it needs to be the great company it was once capable of being. I've seen too many strong capable people come into that company and get crushed under the enormity of problems solving they are faces with without the tools the fix any of it. There are too many barriers in the current management for any manager to come in and make a difference, too many ego's.

100% staff turn over in 3 years

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to expand your company and instead work on getting your product stable. Look after your exciting customers instead of trying to acquire new ones.

Look after your staff, at the end of the day they are the ones that keep you in business. Stop blaming your staff for your short comings and instead look at the management. Remove the blind and see that only a small handful of people left because of family and other reasons and see that the majority left because they were fighting a losing battle for which they received no appreciation or acknowledgement.

Don't make favourites, you treated some members of staff above and beyond what I've known any other employer to do and by doing so you alienated them from their team and the rest of your staff, which resulted in their resignation also.

You should not complain to your staff about the things you don't like, you are management, if there is a problem, deal with it professionally.

Hire a cleaner! your staff are not cleaners and do not need the extra stress of being told off like school children then they make a mess.

Let your staff go home early on a Friday once in a while.
Being late isn't the end of the world, don't make a big deal of it.

Keith - Don't email your entire staff when your in a tizzy about something, it demotivates everyone!

Do not use the CCTV cameras to watch your staff, its wrong and demotivating - we know you did this!

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Take your bad reviews seriously, its hard not to get defensive but it could give you the opportunity to look at your company and how you can improve it, if you can set aside your ego's and admit that some of this might actually be your fault I believe that CNL might still have a chance but it will take a lot of time, money and back peddling.

There are a large number of us that have very deep scares left by CNL, we put in our blood sweat and tears for that company and now that we've left we're treated like spiteful children which is really sad.

Worst company I've ever worked for.

I worked at CNL Software full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHigh tech product,
Great connections to other businesses in the UK,
No London commute necessary.
High salaries.

ConsAbsolutely awful dictatorial executive management, who like to play favorites.
Company is haemhoraging talent, very few staff with any deep product knowledge left.
Complete inability to deliver anything on time, even versions of their own product.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell up, and let someone who knows what they're doing run the company.

I held on right till the end, but just couldn't swallow the false hype anymore. Stop pretending you're the big player, and accept that there are serious issues throughout the business, you're losing ground to your competitors, and no one is happy.

You're barely retaining the talent you have left, by paying well above market rates, and they'll be gone as soon as the coffers run out.

Stop strategically trying to massage the reviews here on Glassdoor, your ignorance of how the social web is demonstrative of your inability to grasp modern trends, which is why you still create software the way we did it in the 80s. I'd held off posting a review, until I saw the unbelievably rainbows and sunshine reviews appearing, and I'm afraid the truth must out.

Interesting and motivating, professionally rewarding

I worked at CNL Software full-time

ProsWhat’s happening to the internet? Twitter, Facebook, forums, blogs and review sites are all filling up with people spouting their negative comments as if they were facts and mostly under a veil of anonymity.

I worked at CNL and know several who still do. There are lots of reasons for changing jobs and they’re not all bad. A young workforce is often a mobile one and priorities change over time. Buying a house, starting a family, having to move closer to grandparents or whatever.

I really liked working at CNL but things changed in my life and I quickly needed a higher paid job, which I managed to get thanks in parts to what I had learned there. No bad feelings from either side. My current job isn’t as fun and the commute a pain but I have to save for a deposit. Working closely with their security software I know its power first hand and many large customers in different countries clearly feel the same.

ConsWork was often demanding but the complex customer problems I helped solve was also what motivated me. My new job doesn’t do that but I knew as much. What suits one person is not always right for another. Sites like these are by design not the most objective of places so make sure you do your own research.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly hire people with a can do attitude. Most other things can be taught.

Terrible C level management have really blown the company

Senior Position (Former Employee)

I worked at CNL Software full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice colleagues (most now gone), once great technology, interesting places and projects and some good opportunities. Interesting domain.

ConsTerrible, terrible management from the c level. Zero trust, training, benefits, flexibility and life balance. Really pompous arrogant culture from c level management, worn down other members trying to do their best. Once great delivery and sales engineering teams have all quit. Don't take the last review as honest anyone looking for a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would love to give some, but it's all been done.

Challenging product, bad management

Software Solutions Engineer (Former Employee)
Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time for less than a year

ProsIn general software developers had good dev skill and product knowledge. Development process very close to Agile.

ConsLots of political games .. as usual, but a bit tOO MUCH comparing with the companies I used to work for. Company locate far away from any train station. No benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore strong core development team need to be created. Development process need to be changed. Team size is too small for the product and development work. Managers should support developer more and understand product in more details.

Don't waste your time...

I worked at CNL Software for more than 3 years

ProsAttractive wage
Good stepping stone for young professionals looking to add some industry experience to their résumé.

ConsDon’t be fooled to thinking this a young hip IT start up, after reading all the hype on CNL’s website about being a ‘a world leader and global provider of Physical Security Information Management (PSIM) software and Integrated Situation Management’ I was excited to be working for a cutting edge company when In reality it’s an old office in a rundown industrial estate in a small pokey town (Knaphill) with no direct train or motorway links.
CNL claim to be Market leader however during my time at the company I saw the real market percentage being considerable less than perceived.

My time at CNL software was predominantly spent resolving product issues inherited from a poor untested original code base. All this effort detracts from adding innovation to the product offering, meaning CNL are not the market leader which they claim.

Unfortunately I feel this company is doomed, Broken promises have left many long term employees disgruntled which majority having now left and a quick Google you will find that even the ‘President of Americas has left’ leaving a rocky road ahead.
100% + staff turnover during my time should of rang alarm bells a lot sooner, being young I wasn’t aware how much greener the grass was on the other side.

Performance reviews, appraisals, pay reviews, bonuses… all are not part of company policy, high manager turnover means that there’s no one line manager who’s been in the position long enough to perform an annual review.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the CEO would relinquish responsibility and allow managers and employees to guide the company it will make the world of difference

A good company to work for that gave me opportunity to apply and grow my skills.

I worked at CNL Software full-time

ProsExciting products and customers. Opportunity to do work that really matters. A great team of likeminded people from different backgrounds. Relatively high salaries for the industry and location. I enjoyed my time but had to leave due to a change of personal circumstances. Would apply again if the opportunity arose.

ConsNot for everyone, but where is? Work was often intense and demanding. Some people have quit because they couldn’t take the pressure. Fewer perks than in a large company but not too different from other SMEs I’ve worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon’t delay correcting recruitment errors. Not everyone will turn out to be right and those that are not capable enough or don’t have the right attitude are better out than in. Complainers should take a good look at themselves!

Sinking Ship

I worked at CNL Software full-time

ProsProduct is very powerful and could easily make CNL Software a profitable entity given the right management.

High pay for out of London business, with share options available which ultimately are worth nothing used to encourage staff to stay.

Often received small perks for working weekends, but feel this was done on favoritism rather than necessity for motivation.

Opportunity to travel the world

Some very committed individuals are keeping the company and spirit alive.

ConsDuring my time at CNL Software I had over 10 managers, often with long periods of other staff filling in whilst a replacement was found. With each manager comes new process' and management styles which leave staff struggling to adopt and demoralizing. Company-wide staff turnover was frankly a joke with people leaving/joining so fast that even within an office of 30 people names were not known.

Majority of long term key skilled staff have left leaving knowledge base all but gone. Key business ethics and values are derived from the CEO/founder who also employees 3 other family members who don’t use English to communicate when in the office which I found extremely rude.

The product was market leader a long time ago, however through high management turnover, lack of product/company leadership, innovation and an experienced product manager they have fallen so far behind I’m not optimistic they will ever recover.

Shortfalls and broken promises made by sales mean development and delivery teams are often under pressure to deliver the achievable in unrealistic timeframes, for this reason quality is over looked with development team in a reactive mode leaving innovation behind. Company oversight on good quality control means majority of the code base is untested and often needs to be re written.
Management have no concept of staff having a life out of CNL, myself and other were often given less than 24 hours’ notice for long international business trips.

No effort is given to staff development or training, after repeatedly requesting training from each manager during my period there, ultimately each request was blocked by finance and/or top management.

Every employee works well over the allocated weekly hours giving their best to make the company a success, stick and carrot method soon loses its appeal after prolonged periods leaving staff burned out and demotivated.
Left on my own accord.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees they have the company's best interests at heart. Rather that employing anyone to manage a department, spend a little more an employee a professional who can potentially save the business

At one time it had great potential but now feel that the end is almost near

Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time for more than a year

ProsPotential to earn lots of money. Worldwide travel. A exciting product that does have potential to actually make a difference

ConsUnfortunately this company is doomed. They're too late to market with changes to their product and their core code base is fundamentally flawed. Unfortunately their competitors have a more stable product which is simpler to use and install.

The management team is well nothing short of a joke. Nothing will change in this company until the founder, who is the CEO leaves the company and let's professionals take control. They will work you to the ground and the morale is lower than rock bottom! The employee turnover is unreal consequently meaning the core knowledge base is all but gone and those left I am sure are not far behind.

Zero benefits package, no pension, no bonus scheme, no perks, no team.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow many people can leave, how many people can tell you what's wrong to your face before you fail to act upon things. Time to step aside and employee someone to run the business for you

Worked for CNL Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CNL Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CNL Software CEO Keith Bloodworth. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by CNL Software employees.