CNL Software Reviews

Reset
1.7
CNL Software CEO Keith Bloodworth
Keith Bloodworth

Glad to have moved on to a Professional Company that cares About Its Employees......

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of that have not already been stated by the other valuable contributions from Ex-CNL staff.

Cons

When six full-time staff leave a company in six months and take with them valuable experience and knowledge, it is pretty clear that something fundamental is wrong. Especially when you add these departures to all those full-time staff who left in 2013. For people reading these voluntary contributions, this is not about retribution, it is about sharing our combined experiences of working in an organisation that treats its staff in such a way that the churn rate is typically > 50%. Everyone knows that the US office for CNL Software Inc was a PO Box, until the entire US team resigned. As for the announcements regarding how wonderful everything is, maybe someone should ask previous and existing customers, some of whom who are still waiting for software fixes and upgrades about their experiences, in order to obtain an accurate picture. I am sure this review will result in more rhetoric from the owners of CNL, as opposed to reflection and positive change in their management styles or acceptance that they do not have the necessary skills to retain experienced, professional full-time employees. An IT software company without experienced, knowledgeable professionals, is unlikely to succeed in a growingly competitive market.

Advice to Management

If you change nothing you run the risk of losing everything.

Don't put your life in the hands of this business

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Former reputation of business with large corporate customers looks good on your cv, even if you had little part of it, aided by the Sales and Marketing.

Cons

Sales and Marketing should be renamed to "Smoke and Mirrors" as we're told everything is going great when simple checks outside the business show otherwise. No wonder we're told who we can talk to and who we can not. Really bad blame culture, there are few friends here and back patting this week can easily become backstabbing the next as most people are simply looking out for themselves. This is not good for the business. If blame can't be passed internally then blame is aimed at those that have left - in some cases years ago. Failing that blaming the customer is always good in the hope that they will stop being a "difficult" customer and leave after paying upfront. There is no innocent until proven guilty in this business and unfounded accusations are often made with no investigation or few apologies afterwards. Lack of quality as many developers don't test and the same bugs keep reappearing. Some are all talk and state why they shouldn't be doing a feature, or that its too hard to do. You're paid well over the going rate so if you can't do it then go and do something you can - work in McDonalds where you're not endangering someone's life. Management have been badly appointed from internal and external inexperienced sources with no leadership skills and often poor technical skills. Combined with no training this is doomed to fail. Several potentially good appointments have been overlooked or made too late to stop staff leaving. With so many bad management appointments, widespread lack of professionalism and talent, and public domain checks I fear this business is way less than worthless.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Seriously. You're in a serious market place protecting lives - so act like you care and start with your staff. Lack of training, high salary expectations and poor attitude has left many that will struggle to get new employment when they have to. This is the security business not the protection business so stop running the family Firm, with your "adopted family" Management, with fear and mistrust. It's only Knaphill not London's East End in the 1960's. Understand that when staff leave quoting "personal reasons" its because you don't listen and being blanked for the last days rather than bullied just makes leaving more comfortable.

It could have been a great place to work.....

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers, exceptional staff (some of them). If you live within 10 minutes of the offices in Knaphill it is an excellent commute. The diversity of customers provides an excellent environment in which to learn about integrated security solutions across key vertical markets. If you have experienced life in a boarding school, the military or other such establishment, then the daily doctrine will be a breeze for you.

Cons

Ridicule and confrontation are daily occurrences in the office; regardless of whether you are a senior manager; manager; long serving member of staff or newbie. I have certainly not come across the sort of behaviour deemed acceptable by the family owners of this business, in any other IT related company that I have worked for. There is no such thing as a work - life balance at CNL, when you sign on the dotted line, you are giving your soul to the family cause. For instance, if during impromptu Q & A sessions, which can occur randomly on a daily basis without notice, you do not regurgitate answers to all questions posed to the satisfaction of the owners, be prepared for a verbal lashing. For at CNL, it is always some elses fault, and the fault always lies with the staff and not the family members! They say you can judge a book by its cover. In the case of CNL, you only need turn the first page to see what is real vs. prophesied.

Advice to Management

Accept that you have weaknesses and are not infallible, and stop looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It doesn't exist! The most important asset you have are your people, when three experienced members of staff leave in the space of a couple of weeks of each other, you need to accept the reasons why and change.

A bad life experience - learnt a lot

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product concept was very exciting. Some lovely people to get to know. Your forced to learn very quickly, a great place to develop people skills Small office generally means you can find the people your looking for, unless your looking for management.

Cons

Extremely demotivating environment and management team. The company needs a lot of work, there were no solid processes, the company spends its whole time fighting fires which makes for a very stressful environment. The company hasn't got the strong foundation it needs to be the great company it was once capable of being. I've seen too many strong capable people come into that company and get crushed under the enormity of problems solving they are faces with without the tools the fix any of it. There are too many barriers in the current management for any manager to come in and make a difference, too many ego's. 100% staff turn over in 3 years

Advice to Management

Stop trying to expand your company and instead work on getting your product stable. Look after your exciting customers instead of trying to acquire new ones. Look after your staff, at the end of the day they are the ones that keep you in business. Stop blaming your staff for your short comings and instead look at the management. Remove the blind and see that only a small handful of people left because of family and other reasons and see that the majority left because they were fighting a losing battle for which they received no appreciation or acknowledgement. Don't make favourites, you treated some members of staff above and beyond what I've known any other employer to do and by doing so you alienated them from their team and the rest of your staff, which resulted in their resignation also. You should not complain to your staff about the things you don't like, you are management, if there is a problem, deal with it professionally. Hire a cleaner! your staff are not cleaners and do not need the extra stress of being told off like school children then they make a mess. Let your staff go home early on a Friday once in a while. Being late isn't the end of the world, don't make a big deal of it. Keith - Don't email your entire staff when your in a tizzy about something, it demotivates everyone! Do not use the CCTV cameras to watch your staff, its wrong and demotivating - we know you did this! MOST IMPORTANTLY - Take your bad reviews seriously, its hard not to get defensive but it could give you the opportunity to look at your company and how you can improve it, if you can set aside your ego's and admit that some of this might actually be your fault I believe that CNL might still have a chance but it will take a lot of time, money and back peddling. There are a large number of us that have very deep scares left by CNL, we put in our blood sweat and tears for that company and now that we've left we're treated like spiteful children which is really sad.

Worst company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High tech product, Great connections to other businesses in the UK, No London commute necessary. High salaries.

Cons

Absolutely awful dictatorial executive management, who like to play favorites. Company is haemhoraging talent, very few staff with any deep product knowledge left. Complete inability to deliver anything on time, even versions of their own product.

Advice to Management

Sell up, and let someone who knows what they're doing run the company. I held on right till the end, but just couldn't swallow the false hype anymore. Stop pretending you're the big player, and accept that there are serious issues throughout the business, you're losing ground to your competitors, and no one is happy. You're barely retaining the talent you have left, by paying well above market rates, and they'll be gone as soon as the coffers run out. Stop strategically trying to massage the reviews here on Glassdoor, your ignorance of how the social web is demonstrative of your inability to grasp modern trends, which is why you still create software the way we did it in the 80s. I'd held off posting a review, until I saw the unbelievably rainbows and sunshine reviews appearing, and I'm afraid the truth must out.

Fast paced company

Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Knaphill, England (UK)

I have been working at CNL Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CNL is a small fast paced company, which demands a lot from its team members, but offer a unique place to accelerate a career. If you have ambition and want to make a mark than this is the place to do it. I have seen lots of people come through the company, make a huge impact over a number of years and leave to find a role they would ever have been able to get without the experience they had at CNL. It is not an easy ride, some days it can be tough, but at the end of those days, I do feel that I have achieved something significant. If you are like me and want to work in a company that is trying to achieve something no one has done before and where you have the opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities then consider CNL. If you are happier following a well-trodden path, then consider somewhere else. The company is fairly flat, so senior management have a good understanding of what everyone is working on, some people see this as negative, but others enjoy the fact that their efforts are seen throughout the company.

Cons

The office is not in the best location, traffic can be bad on some days. The office is also not the newest or best equipped, but it is a good environment to focus on work without distractions.

Advice to Management

You can’t please all of the people all of the time, don’t let the actions of a few change a winning formula.

Interesting and motivating, professionally rewarding

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

What’s happening to the internet? Twitter, Facebook, forums, blogs and review sites are all filling up with people spouting their negative comments as if they were facts and mostly under a veil of anonymity. I worked at CNL and know several who still do. There are lots of reasons for changing jobs and they’re not all bad. A young workforce is often a mobile one and priorities change over time. Buying a house, starting a family, having to move closer to grandparents or whatever. I really liked working at CNL but things changed in my life and I quickly needed a higher paid job, which I managed to get thanks in parts to what I had learned there. No bad feelings from either side. My current job isn’t as fun and the commute a pain but I have to save for a deposit. Working closely with their security software I know its power first hand and many large customers in different countries clearly feel the same.

Cons

Work was often demanding but the complex customer problems I helped solve was also what motivated me. My new job doesn’t do that but I knew as much. What suits one person is not always right for another. Sites like these are by design not the most objective of places so make sure you do your own research.

Advice to Management

Only hire people with a can do attitude. Most other things can be taught.

Sinking Ship

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

Product is very powerful and could easily make CNL Software a profitable entity given the right management. High pay for out of London business, with share options available which ultimately are worth nothing used to encourage staff to stay. Often received small perks for working weekends, but feel this was done on favoritism rather than necessity for motivation. Opportunity to travel the world Some very committed individuals are keeping the company and spirit alive.

Cons

During my time at CNL Software I had over 10 managers, often with long periods of other staff filling in whilst a replacement was found. With each manager comes new process' and management styles which leave staff struggling to adopt and demoralizing. Company-wide staff turnover was frankly a joke with people leaving/joining so fast that even within an office of 30 people names were not known. Majority of long term key skilled staff have left leaving knowledge base all but gone. Key business ethics and values are derived from the CEO/founder who also employees 3 other family members who don’t use English to communicate when in the office which I found extremely rude. The product was market leader a long time ago, however through high management turnover, lack of product/company leadership, innovation and an experienced product manager they have fallen so far behind I’m not optimistic they will ever recover. Shortfalls and broken promises made by sales mean development and delivery teams are often under pressure to deliver the achievable in unrealistic timeframes, for this reason quality is over looked with development team in a reactive mode leaving innovation behind. Company oversight on good quality control means majority of the code base is untested and often needs to be re written. Management have no concept of staff having a life out of CNL, myself and other were often given less than 24 hours’ notice for long international business trips. No effort is given to staff development or training, after repeatedly requesting training from each manager during my period there, ultimately each request was blocked by finance and/or top management. Every employee works well over the allocated weekly hours giving their best to make the company a success, stick and carrot method soon loses its appeal after prolonged periods leaving staff burned out and demotivated. Left on my own accord.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees they have the company's best interests at heart. Rather that employing anyone to manage a department, spend a little more an employee a professional who can potentially save the business

Challenging product, bad management

Former Employee - Software Solutions Engineer in Knaphill, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Solutions Engineer in Knaphill, England (UK)

I worked at CNL Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In general software developers had good dev skill and product knowledge. Development process very close to Agile.

Cons

Lots of political games .. as usual, but a bit tOO MUCH comparing with the companies I used to work for. Company locate far away from any train station. No benefits.

Advice to Management

More strong core development team need to be created. Development process need to be changed. Team size is too small for the product and development work. Managers should support developer more and understand product in more details.

11. A good company to work for that gave me opportunity to apply and grow my skills.

I worked at CNL Software full-time

Pros

Exciting products and customers. Opportunity to do work that really matters. A great team of likeminded people from different backgrounds. Relatively high salaries for the industry and location. I enjoyed my time but had to leave due to a change of personal circumstances. Would apply again if the opportunity arose.

Cons

Not for everyone, but where is? Work was often intense and demanding. Some people have quit because they couldn’t take the pressure. Fewer perks than in a large company but not too different from other SMEs I’ve worked for.

Advice to Management

Don’t delay correcting recruitment errors. Not everyone will turn out to be right and those that are not capable enough or don’t have the right attitude are better out than in. Complainers should take a good look at themselves!

RSS Feed </> Embed