CNO Financial Group

CNO Financial Group CEO and Director Edward J. (Ed) Bonach

Edward J. (Ed) Bonach

Consistently Undervalued

Agent Care Representative (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsWork your hours and go home, decent benefits package

ConsLying to potential employees about advancement opportunities and schedule, a complete lack of communication throughout the company,

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow brains

Most of top management is very strong; working to overcome legacy issues. The future looks bright.

Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood career advancement potential, strong upper management, significant talent upgrades in key areas, good work-life balance. Strong performers are recognized, and most of the dead wood is now gone.

ConsLegacy issues still cloud reputation in insurance industry, after much restructuring and cost reduction, most of what is left now relates to blocking and tackling.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what what you're doing

Don't take the pay increase - stay where you are! You will end up regretting leaving your current position.

Peon (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsMy salary was more than I made at my previous position, but the stability of employment was obviously the trade-off. I had a great supervisor, but she got too involved personally in the lives of her employees, and decisions were based on whom she was friends with, not who had more talent.

ConsSenior managment only cares about their HUGE salaries and making a penny on each stock they own. Check out the list online - see how many shares each VP and the new CEO owns. I was part of a mass layoff in September of 2007, even though I had more job knowledge than other people and a degree. More than 300 people lost their jobs that same day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry this on for size - care about your employees and customers, not just the bottom line. Your CEO has homes in Indy and Chicago - who deserves to be paid that much money when you end up laying off people making $40K a year?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't believe what you read

BDM (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsThis is a great place to work. Unfortunately the media takes a constant doom and gloom approach to what is going on with the company. They have no real understanding of Risked Based Capital or what it means to take future charges on your balance sheet. I work well with the people on my team and in my department. I get the opportunity to travel and see some areas I would never see before. The policies we provide can save peoples homes, lives and finances.

ConsConstantly in the news, AM Best rating. Employees that lack the knowledge to understand the financial numbers of the company. Therefore it is constant doom and gloom.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making changes and keep making the right decisions.

If at all possible look elsewhere.

Management (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsThe ability to work from home and the location within Carmel.

ConsAfter working in an organization (Conseco) in which every day you experience nothing but doom-and-gloom and who have extended their technology, systems, applications and most importantly their people well beyond there usefulness, it was a breath of fresh air when I finally left the organization. Staff are more concerned about someone swearing and telling an off-color joke, than working hard to save a company that's on the brink of failure. Too many in middle-management who are doers versus leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf at all possible look elsewhere.

Step Up to the challenges of Risks and Rewards

Senior Director (Current Employee)

ProsCompany recognizes employee contributions and respects personal needs to balance work and life. Workforce has diversity. There is strong focus on set of core values such as customer focus, integrity and community outreach. This company has lots of opportunities for strong growth.

ConsInvestors do not recognize the potential for growth of Conseco / Banker's Life.
    There are many long tenured employees, creating an old-boy network. You have to aggressively break into the groups to be included in the teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to increase PR effort and build up brand identity. Industry and investor community needs to recognize that today's Conseco is not the same as in 2002. Also, it is time to bring fresh blood and infuse new ideas at the operations level to improve productivity and creativity.

Carefully consider other options before joining Bankers Life and Casualty

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsYou make your own schedule, because you are basically self-employed (but this can also be a negative)

ConsYou're an "independent" agent, but capitive to Bankers. I think that's their way of limiting your potfolio to their products, but not calling you an "employee," so they don't have to offer any kind of base pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to hold agents captive (which means they are limited to what they can offer) and have them work schedules and report in to management (like a regular job), offer a base pay, even if it's just a few bucks an hour for the first couple of months. The insurance industry is hard enough to make it in without going the first few months of employment with little or no pay.

Despite negative publicity, Conseco is still a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsConseco offers its employees a plethora of training opportunities. New employees do not have to worry about a lack of Insurance Services Industry experience. Classes like LOMA and AHIP are offered each quarter. Conseco pays for its employees to take these classes. There is also a tuition reimbursement program for associates who are working on getting a degree.

ConsConseco has gone through Bankruptcy proceedings and as a result our ratings are lower than expected. In addition, there is a lot of negative publicity surrounding Conseco for the Long Term Care block of business. Despite all of this, Conseco is still a good place to work and is a company that will continue to exist and prosper well into the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementConseco employees should be given advance notice of changes before the general public becomes aware of them.

For a major company, this place is clueless on how to fairly treat anybody at lower levels than Senior Management.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsI cannot think of good reasons to work for Conseco other than poor job market.

ConsPoor benefits, poor compensation,poor communications and strong resistance to telecommuting. They also fail to recognize any needs outside the sphere of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunications and reception to feedback from employees needs to be improved as well as compensation and benefits for the lower level workers.

Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsTo draw a paycheck. Beyond that, no clear or compelling reasons.

ConsLet me count the ways. The organization is a case study in ineptness. If Enron is the poster child for illegal activity, Conseco is one for boneheaded decision-making. Going back to the purchase of Green Tree (aka the beginning of the end), the company has pissed away more money than possibly any other in the history of American commerce. What the dot com bust was to internet companies, Conseco is to classic corporate America. Ousting Steven Hilbert (architect of the absolute most mind-boggling, dysfunctional, cost-ineffective program the world has even known in the form of borrowing corporate dollars to purchase corporate stock; holy "Sarbanes-Oxley" Batman!) was arguably the best and worst moves performed. The constant turnover of senior managers, middle managers, and especially rank-and-file made working there even more disturbing and depressing than imaginable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo, really, I shouldn't...{biting lip; blood pressure rising; jaws clinching}

Worked for CNO Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!