CNO Financial Group

Updated February 15, 2015
2.5

CNO Financial Group CEO and Director Edward J. (Ed) Bonach
Edward J. (Ed) Bonach

Pros
  • CNO offers a good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities in the short term, for resume building (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is a good ol' boys club that offers lucrative contracts to associates without regard for the business outcome (in 4 reviews)

• Management and Upper management look at their employees like numbers instead of people (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of hard-working people stretched thin by lack of resources.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CNO Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to interact with various business units and learn the insurance business.

Cons

Very burdensome software release process with lots of paperwork. Mainframe-based legacy systems need to be replaced. HR won't promote employees in-place; need to post to a new position.

Getting better

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

Lots of opportunities for learning and interesting work

Cons

The company is comprised of many companies and hard to tie all them together

Simplify

Beware

I have been working at CNO Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Schedule flexibility. Most of the employees (outside of management) are genuinely nice people.

Cons

Inept management. Employees are undervalued. Reliance on off-shore resources. Disorganized mess.

Good but not great

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

company has been through bankruptcy and survived

Cons

little advancement, not based on experience or skills

none

Great Experience

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

I was able to learn new skills.

Cons

At one time, the micro management.

Do more work for no standard of living increase

Former Employee - Disaster Recovery Specialist in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Disaster Recovery Specialist in Carmel, IN

I worked at CNO Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good coworkers. A few company perks such as a cafe, walking track, work from home.

Cons

Micro-managing staff, a lot of political games among upper management, despite high marks in review periods-I was encouraged to see a 1% raise as a benefit.
    No opportunity for advancement, despite doing the work of a manager.

Pay your employees better. Trust them to do their job.

Exactly what I imagined for corporate America

Former Employee - Agent Care Representative in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Agent Care Representative in Carmel, IN

I worked at CNO Financial Group full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for professional growth, very fair salaries, and a great training program.

Cons

At the end of the day, this is still a corporate insurance company trying to make money. Your time is watched very closely for individual efficiency & decisions were made to make money (whether or not that is the best move for the employees or the customers).

I would actually recommend this job to a friend if they were looking for the type of job where they can make a decent salary and go home, not thinking about their job at the end of the day. However, it was definitely not the right fit for me. Although everything I did there seemed legal, it did not always seem fair. For example, it broke my heart to tell customers we were unable to pay a claim (they often desperately needed) due to a loophole or some technical issue with their claim. I have since moved on to a company where "doing the right thing" trumps the few extra bucks.

Easy-going, will treat you well; slow to change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at CNO Financial Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Appropriate base compensation, especially considering how laid back the work environment is. As many people have stated, the expectations of employees are very reasonable (sometimes too low). If you are good at your job and exhibit the ability to constantly learn about the business, there will always be opportunities for you. The C-level leadership is fantastic for the most part, and financial results speak to that more than a reviewer on here ever could. Most benefits are good, and the company really seems like they care about their people. Being in the business they are, innovation is not too important in the market. But with employees and culture, they seem to be trying new things every quarter. Their wellness programs, company volunteer opportunities, and philanthropic activities should be applauded. The on-site clinic and cafes are fantastic.

Cons

401k is very average/below average, and financial incentives are uninspiring. Although they are working to improve it, the culture is still defined by legacy and people, and therefore, a bit resistant to change. Company systems, office design and employee policies lag far behind modern common practice. More specifically, I have heard coworkers from nearly every department express concern with the technology and systems needed to do their jobs. The old, clunky, "specialized" systems seem to drastically affect people's abilities to solve problems everyday, and they have created complicated processes that are hard to overcome. Most offices on campus are comparatively older and bland (white noise, very little color, old art, etc.). Carmel is nice, but it makes you feel detached from the growing business community in Indy.

Management seems very interested (and capable) in changing the culture and becoming a leader in their market, industry, and community. Make the tough decisions necessary to see your vision play out. If you believe the old culture is holding you back, you shouldn't be afraid to say it and act on that belief. Try new things that will attract and retain top talent. The people, in addition to the quickly improving financial situation, will further promote long term success.

Crazy

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster ! in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster ! in Carmel, IN

I worked at CNO Financial Group

Pros

The pay is descent but not sure it worst it.

Cons

This by far is one of the most unorganized companies I have ever worworked for. No one and I do mean no one knows what the right hand is doing.... I can only attest to their claims dept. A Co worker came from another area and stated it was more organized over there.

Security access .... you would think you were working for the president of the united states.... # months or longer to gain access tto do your daily job..... for real

Management or team leads are never available... good luck getting a question answered.

Wake up.... and get it together.
    Implement an official training program for the claims department, it is not effective to rely on one or two individuals to train staff, and those that your relying on do not know that much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run far, far away from the Claims Department CNO Financial in Carmel, Indiana!

Current Employee - Claims Associate in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Claims Associate in Carmel, IN

I have been working at CNO Financial Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at CNO Financial for Five years now and the 'pros' I had when I started have now dwindled down to only one.....it's close to my home.

Cons

The Supervisors and Managers do not have any working knowledge of their employees daily work flow. Most of the Management does not know how to manage or motivate their people.

My advice to upper Management is to clean house of the middle management and start fresh with internal employees that ACTUALLY know the work (and aren't just suck ups to the current Management). The only worthwhile and down to Earth person in Claims Management is SVP, Michael Heard.