CNO Financial Group Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014

2.6

CNO Financial Group CEO and Director Edward J. (Ed) Bonach
Edward J. (Ed) Bonach

Not a bad thing to do. doesn't get you anywhere

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

flexible timing, new technologies, great place to work

Cons

forget about promotions if you don't know the right people

find the quality in people...

Consistently Undervalued

Current Employee - Agent Care Representative  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Agent Care Representative in Carmel, IN

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

Work your hours and go home, decent benefits package

Cons

Lying to potential employees about advancement opportunities and schedule, a complete lack of communication throughout the company,

Grow brains

Most of top management is very strong; working to overcome legacy issues. The future looks bright.

Former Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at CNO Financial Group

Pros

Good career advancement potential, strong upper management, significant talent upgrades in key areas, good work-life balance. Strong performers are recognized, and most of the dead wood is now gone.

Cons

Legacy issues still cloud reputation in insurance industry, after much restructuring and cost reduction, most of what is left now relates to blocking and tackling.

Keep doing what what you're doing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't take the pay increase - stay where you are! You will end up regretting leaving your current position.

Former Employee - Peon  in  Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Peon in Carmel, IN

I worked at CNO Financial Group

Pros

My salary was more than I made at my previous position, but the stability of employment was obviously the trade-off. I had a great supervisor, but she got too involved personally in the lives of her employees, and decisions were based on whom she was friends with, not who had more talent.

Cons

Senior managment only cares about their HUGE salaries and making a penny on each stock they own. Check out the list online - see how many shares each VP and the new CEO owns. I was part of a mass layoff in September of 2007, even though I had more job knowledge than other people and a degree. More than 300 people lost their jobs that same day.

Try this on for size - care about your employees and customers, not just the bottom line. Your CEO has homes in Indy and Chicago - who deserves to be paid that much money when you end up laying off people making $40K a year?

Don't believe what you read

Current Employee - BDM  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - BDM in Carmel, IN

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

This is a great place to work. Unfortunately the media takes a constant doom and gloom approach to what is going on with the company. They have no real understanding of Risked Based Capital or what it means to take future charges on your balance sheet. I work well with the people on my team and in my department. I get the opportunity to travel and see some areas I would never see before. The policies we provide can save peoples homes, lives and finances.

Cons

Constantly in the news, AM Best rating. Employees that lack the knowledge to understand the financial numbers of the company. Therefore it is constant doom and gloom.

Keep making changes and keep making the right decisions.

If at all possible look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Management  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Management in Carmel, IN

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

The ability to work from home and the location within Carmel.

Cons

After working in an organization (Conseco) in which every day you experience nothing but doom-and-gloom and who have extended their technology, systems, applications and most importantly their people well beyond there usefulness, it was a breath of fresh air when I finally left the organization. Staff are more concerned about someone swearing and telling an off-color joke, than working hard to save a company that's on the brink of failure. Too many in middle-management who are doers versus leaders.

If at all possible look elsewhere.

Step Up to the challenges of Risks and Rewards

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

Company recognizes employee contributions and respects personal needs to balance work and life. Workforce has diversity. There is strong focus on set of core values such as customer focus, integrity and community outreach. This company has lots of opportunities for strong growth.

Cons

Investors do not recognize the potential for growth of Conseco / Banker's Life.
    There are many long tenured employees, creating an old-boy network. You have to aggressively break into the groups to be included in the teams.

Need to increase PR effort and build up brand identity. Industry and investor community needs to recognize that today's Conseco is not the same as in 2002. Also, it is time to bring fresh blood and infuse new ideas at the operations level to improve productivity and creativity.

Carefully consider other options before joining Bankers Life and Casualty

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Duluth, GA

I worked at CNO Financial Group

Pros

You make your own schedule, because you are basically self-employed (but this can also be a negative)

Cons

You're an "independent" agent, but capitive to Bankers. I think that's their way of limiting your potfolio to their products, but not calling you an "employee," so they don't have to offer any kind of base pay.

If you're going to hold agents captive (which means they are limited to what they can offer) and have them work schedules and report in to management (like a regular job), offer a base pay, even if it's just a few bucks an hour for the first couple of months. The insurance industry is hard enough to make it in without going the first few months of employment with little or no pay.

Despite negative publicity, Conseco is still a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at CNO Financial Group

Pros

Conseco offers its employees a plethora of training opportunities. New employees do not have to worry about a lack of Insurance Services Industry experience. Classes like LOMA and AHIP are offered each quarter. Conseco pays for its employees to take these classes. There is also a tuition reimbursement program for associates who are working on getting a degree.

Cons

Conseco has gone through Bankruptcy proceedings and as a result our ratings are lower than expected. In addition, there is a lot of negative publicity surrounding Conseco for the Long Term Care block of business. Despite all of this, Conseco is still a good place to work and is a company that will continue to exist and prosper well into the future.

Conseco employees should be given advance notice of changes before the general public becomes aware of them.

For a major company, this place is clueless on how to fairly treat anybody at lower levels than Senior Management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carmel, IN

I worked at CNO Financial Group

Pros

I cannot think of good reasons to work for Conseco other than poor job market.

Cons

Poor benefits, poor compensation,poor communications and strong resistance to telecommuting. They also fail to recognize any needs outside the sphere of work.

Communications and reception to feedback from employees needs to be improved as well as compensation and benefits for the lower level workers.

Worked for CNO Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!