COM DEV International Reviews

Reset
2.1
COM DEV International CEO Mike Pley
Mike Pley

Not all Start-Up viable. Corporate is closing division.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

My co-workers attitude and opportunities for growth. I worked with a good group of people that were supportive, professional and worked hard to accomplish the program commitments. I was also given many opportunities to grow in areas that have helped me develop my career.

Cons

It was difficult to plan ahead, supporting three or four different programs at different stages of development. Especially, when anomalies or quality issues in production occurred that had to be addressed and dispositioned quickly.

Advice to Management

Remove two-tiered Senior Management and staff barriers. Treat workers with respect and listen to their concerns and recommendations. Maybe, we did all that could be done, and the company fell, because we couldn't get new products to market that the customer wants.

Program manager

Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in El Segundo, CA

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

Too many managers trying to run the programs

Advice to Management

cut down on management

Management, management, management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

So much potential for a great place to work - relaxed and casual work environment, new facilities, work-life balance (generally), flexibility to take technology and business in new directions and essentially a sole-source supplier to their primary customer, sustaining core business for years to come.

Cons

Hopeless management. Management is a small clique of mostly old friends. Nothing wrong with starting with what/who you know. But if that's not working, find the right person for the job. The constant reshuffle of the same people with new job titles over and over again tells the rank and file you don't know what you're doing and nothing is going to get better.

Advice to Management

COM DEV USA needs some new faces at the senior management level. Hiring your old buddies isn't inspiring confidence in the workforce. Start in Sales/Bus Dev. How long do you get to not win some real new business?

Worst Part of my career in my 15 Years of career span

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at COM DEV International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working colleagues with knowledge and commit

Cons

No Vision Office Politics between departments and wok as individual silo Ageing Technology stack and Products Incapable management No Innovation

A company that believes it has a Vision but is 15 years behind

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at COM DEV International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was a reasonable place to work before restructuring with the intention to outsource their internal technology. Never a place I had planned to continue working but it was ok.

Cons

Incompetence abounds. Most notably at the Sr. Mgmt and executive levels. But the reviews on here about IT are completely correct. I have never experienced such a place before and am happy to have left it. It's a soul-sucking environment and is in the process of outsourcing all it's software development to India. So, staff can't get the software they need to work effectively and are punished because of it. The structural changes led to many, many people being terminated without cause. The people leading the restructuring have zero capacity to understand people and their motivation. They also have zero experience with outsourcing and believe India to be a salvation for managing expense. I'm glad I don't have shares in the company, because I see them going no place but down.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves...and/or get some training in management practices. The whip is not an effective motivator.

Will never recommend anybody for this company

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at COM DEV International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Show off as we are best company, in actual worst company. Takes weeks for small projects as they have to go from 1 review to other and so on. Nobody thinks about employees

Cons

Lowest salaries in region. Politics all around. If manager doesn't like you then no matter how good you are he will find excuse to fire you. No future growth.

Advice to Management

No advice for this company.

its a job....

Current Employee - Advanced Member of Technical Staff in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Advanced Member of Technical Staff in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I have been working at COM DEV International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- not much overtime - some good processes in place - in terms of manufacturing - can learn a lot from co-workers - looks like a cool place to work- from the outside looking in

Cons

- slow to no career development - management doesn't take input from employees- and the general approach is reactive rather then pro-active. Lots of finger pointing. -pay is average to below average - training for employee improvement doesn't exist - culture at the company generally sucks. If your looking to park and wait- this is the place to be

Politics, inflexible to new ideas, chaotic and poorly managed

I have been working at COM DEV International full-time

Pros

- good benefits - reasonable, fair pay - not much OT

Cons

- overly political - not much room for career advancement - too many people who screw around - management doesn't manage, they assign tasks - too many flavors of the month - employees are not appreciated for work - very risk averse - nobody listens to what anyone says - finger pointing blame game culture

Advice to Management

Manage, add structure, stay aware and recognize the truth of the way things are.

10. Good work place. Good Benefits.

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at COM DEV International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Industry. People. Salary. Professional.

Cons

Risky industry. Out of GTA.

It's a Social Game

Pros

- No body is watching you - If you live in Cambridge, it's a close drive - Some really good people

Cons

- It's a social game and in order to get any where you have to be very good at sucking up to the guys on top - This place is ran by a boys club - Do not expect any appreciation....all upper management is just looking for the proper paper work in order to get their own bonuses. They are only in it for themselves.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and hire experienced managers who will respect their employees and not manage the companies off personal greed.

RSS Feed </> Embed