COPE Health Solutions Reviews

Allen Miller

1. Clinical Care Extender

Current Intern - Clinical Care Extender in Lynwood, CA
    Current Intern - Clinical Care Extender in Lynwood, CA

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The recruitment and training process for program participants is excellent. Leadership team members devote quality time to prepare students for their role as hospital volunteers.The corporate staff know their jobs and are well versed in the company goals and ambitions.

Cons

It is what you make of it.

2. Great experience.

I worked at COPE Health Solutions

Pros

For Clinical Care Extender Program:
    Professional Development

Cons

For Clinical Care Extender Program:
    Shift scheduling.

3. Intern

I worked at COPE Health Solutions

Pros

great hands on experience, great opportunity to rotate around different floors of the hospital.

Cons

a lot of down time

Top Small Consulting Firm in Los Angeles

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions

Pros

You own your projects and are appreciated for the work you do AND lauded for the work you do over and above what's expected. The place is crazy busy! The people here are smart and young and fun. We work hard and try to maintain some work-life balance. Above all I feel appreciated...

Cons

Good flow of new business equals some growing pains but management is addressing issues as they arise.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

COPE Health Solutions Response

Dec 19, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your input and the time you've spent to leave your comments. It is an exciting time at COPE Health Solutions!

Rocket-Ship Company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sheryl Sandberg in her book "Lean In" describes advice she was given when she was looking to join the then-unproven Google: "If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on,"

The "Pros" and "Cons" to this company will sound almost humorously similar: "All-consuming" and "time consuming," "the chance to do everything" and the "responsibility to do everything," or "unparalleled growth" and "growing pains." It is all true.

If you are looking to work for COPE Health Solutions, one great value is that we know our flaws, and we know what we are doing to mitigate them. In just the last year I have been here, I have seen our leadership promise and deliver solutions to many of our requests for improvement of work-life balance, of a flat organization structure, and of professional development. I am absolutely impressed by the strides taken to highlight and develop every member of our team, no matter what their position.

I recently reflected on the range work I have done in just the last year, and I realized I have far outpaced my five-year plan. I have had to almost scrap it completely, having accomplished so much in so little time. I have been engaged in health care policy development projects, process improvement initiatives, marketing campaigns, recruitment efforts, health care workforce development, patient experience initiatives, re-alignment of financial incentives and curriculum development in just this last year. I have my pick of what I want to work on next, and I work to accomplish it knowing I have a team that is brilliant, willing and resourced to assist.

I know I am on a rocket ship. Things rattle, shake and sometimes fall off - but we are getting somewhere fast. This company lives and breathes its vision to change health care, and I have no doubt that it will; It is why I got on. I want to be there when we land at the forefront of a national issue, with an incredible model for change.

Cons

There is a right time for any opportunity, and this may not be the right time for some applicants. I cannot recommend my position to every friend, simply because they are not at the right stage in their career.

Also, fair warning, much of what I speak to comes from my position, and may not apply to other positions in this company.

This company requires a large time commitment. I would compare the commitment to a full class load at a top-notch university, with out-of-class work and research included. Again, not everyone has the time for this type of work, but it is not unmanageable.

The time commitment is not only a question of "how much" but "when." There are many week days that are very normal, and the hours are often very flexible. However, I may have to work on a weekend, sometimes with short notice.

This company will not be a good fit if you need step-by-step instructions for your assignments. We live and die by our initiative and innovation abilities. The question is not "who has to do this?" but rather "how can I make this happen?" Everyone has a different work style, and there are some individuals who would be frustrated by this lack of direction.

Work-life balance at COPE Health Solutions cannot be approached with the traditional mindset. Work is included in life, and vice versa - and we really mean that. With a kids room at our corporate office and most every company retreat and dinner with a "family (and pets) invited" tag, this is not the type of work that only encroaches on life; we expect life to encroach on work. We see our families and friends as partners in our jobs. If you prefer an environment where work and life are more siloed, this may not be the place to work.

7. Unrealized potential

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at COPE Health Solutions full-time

Pros

Exposure to high quality brainpower. Because this is consulting tends to be a good chance for metrics based resume bullets.

Cons

Leadership follow through is an issue, a culture of fear, backstabbing and uncertainty cloaked behind smiling faces.

Advice to Management

To keep top talent and reduce the ongoing high turnover listen and delegate to staff. It will be very difficult to keep smart, high caliber people otherwise. Lastly don't assume that everyone is driven by high wages. Dig deep to figure out what motivates each individual contributor and make that the foundation for employee engagement.

8. Top notch organization! One of the best companies to work for in Los Angeles

Former Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at COPE Health Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CAREER GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES
    - immense opportunity for professional growth and promotions
    - experience at COPE Health Solutions will distinguish you as a more competitive/marketable candidate for future employment in other organizations
    - company leadership makes a strong investment in employees' professional development via company-wide retreats, company-sponsored seminars, encouragement to attend conferences, etc

COMPANY CULTURE
    - unmatched organizational culture: fast-paced, motivating, ambitious, bright & hard-charging team members, enjoyable professional experience
    - strong focus on excellent quality of work (which contributes to the company's excellent reputation among clients)
    - team members are always recognized and rewarded for excellent performance
    - all team members come from impressive educational and professional backgrounds

TYPE OF WORK
    - all divisions of the company work with top notch organizations (clients include: hospitals, medical groups, health systems, etc)
    - you have the opportunity to get involved in cross-divisional projects and explore various areas of healthcare (ie: hospital operations and service line management, healthcare policy, integrated delivery network development and implementation, physician practice and network level care delivery redesign, Lean/Six Sigma process improvement, talent development, strategic planning, etc)

Cons

TIME COMMITMENT
    - similar to most top notch consulting firms, you need to be willing and ready to put in many hours during the week and on weekends (in exchange, you'll have an unmatched experience that propels your career forward very quickly); with that said, once you have a flow to your time management, it's definitely possible to have the right work-life balance.

COMPANY HIERARCHY
    - the organization is quite flat; therefore, you often times may take on work that could be performed by an entry-level staff member. I'm sure that as the company continues to grow, more layers will be added to the hierarchy to redistribute duties (ie: introduce additional entry-level and middle management positions).

Advice to Management

Given that the company is growing exponentially each year, it'll be critical to build the infrastructure/human capital to sustain the growth - perhaps investing in additional entry-level and middle management positions will be essential for maintaining the excellent quality of work and company reputation.

COPE Health Solutions Response

Dec 19, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your honest and detailed feedback, we are working hard to build COPE Health Solutions into one of LA's Best Places to Work!

9. Pretty good clinical exposure

Former Intern - Clinical Care Extender in Lynwood, CA
    Former Intern - Clinical Care Extender in Lynwood, CA

I worked at COPE Health Solutions as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of exposure being in a clinical setting. You have the ability to rotate between different departments.

Cons

Administrative staff is very unorganized. This could just be for the Saint Francis pipeline but there seems to be more assistant directors than needed who are clueless as to what is going on.

Advice to Management

Improve communication between administrators and interns and hospital staff.

10. You get what you put in.

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions

Pros

As a CCE intern, you are told from the beginning that you will get out of the internship what you put in. This is true. As an intern, you get opportunities to learn alot and network with medical staff if you take advantage of all that is available to you. Leadership opportunities are also available.

Cons

Wish we had more contact with the company itself at the intern level. It would be a great experience for all interns to get the chance to meet, network, or hear from COPE.

11. All-consuming job, but exceptional opportunities for the right person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at COPE Health Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Awesome projects and work: What first attracted me to COPE Health Solutions was the type of work this company does. It’s hands-on, innovative, exciting, and I truly believe the work is making a positive impact not just for clients, but the health care industry as a whole. COPE Health Solutions provides staff with the opportunity to design and manage large projects themselves, which isn’t something afforded to relatively junior employees at other companies (although this does come with some downsides as listed in the next section).

2. Amazing circle of team members: I’ve never worked with an organization where the staff was so consistently remarkable – they are brilliant, energetic, and intelligent with unparalleled work ethic. If you’ve ever worked with less than competent team members, you’ll especially appreciate this. The people here have challenged and pushed me since my first day at the company.

3. Mentorship: From my time at other companies, I’ve learned that true mentorship is a rare thing to find because of the personal investment it takes from the mentor. I’ve had the opportunity to work side-by-side and learn from some of the best people in the field at COPE Health Solutions, including the CEO, who is an absolute visionary. (The CEO also helped set me up with other health care leaders outside the company for mentorship.) The caveat is that the CEO is very blunt with his feedback. As other people have mentioned, this sometimes manifests as unfiltered criticism, some of which is warranted (although still not fun to hear) and some of which can seem overblown. This was a price I was willing to pay for the opportunity to grow and learn under the guidance of experts.

4. Generous compensation: Compared to other healthcare/public health organizations, I think COPE Health Solutions offers a generous compensation package. Starting salaries for entry-level positions may seem comparable to other companies, but raises happen on an ongoing basis. For more established employees, the salary potential is very high. The company is also supportive of personal issues such as family illness – as long as you can make arrangements so that there’s minimal interruption to your work.

5. Beautiful office: This might seem like a minor point, but if I’m going to be spending a significant amount of time somewhere, the facilities makes a difference. Newly renovated downtown space with exposed brick and cool architectural details. Every single office has a window with an amazing view.

6. Networking opportunities: The CEO is one of the very best networkers I’ve ever seen in person. He's great at helping employees network as he’s very generous with sharing his network and encourages (sometimes demands) employees to participate in networking opportunities, from major meetings to client galas.

Cons

1. All-consuming: This IS an all-consuming job. It’s not so much that you're required to be in the office all the time (although there are occasional meetings/events during early mornings, late evenings, and on weekends), but each person is responsible for a large amount of work and plays a key role on important projects. The company tends to hire dedicated, responsible individuals who want their projects to succeed so they do whatever it takes and put in as much time as needed to get the work done well -- because the alternative is that the project could fail. This translates into a lot of hours. The first thing I do each morning is check my work phone for emails. The last thing I do before I go to bed is check my work phone. The expectation is for staff to respond to emails during the weekend unless previous notice is given – and most people are responding to emails during PTO and vacations as well. Even when I’m not doing work, my brain is often obsessing over what could be done better, client politics that need to be managed, business development opportunities to pursue, outstanding tasks and issues, upcoming deadlines, etc.

2. Sink or swim: There is absolutely no handholding here, even with new employees. Structured support, reassurance, and clear instructions on projects and roles aren’t currently things that can be automatically expected. It’s also not uncommon for staff to be working on challenging initiatives where there’s no blueprint for how to proceed and minimal day-to-day supervision. This can be stressful and frustrating – and people who desire concrete plans, structured methods of work, and clear markers of success (which is probably most entry-level/junior professionals) can flounder.

3. Power is very concentrated: Like another poster mentioned, company decisions of any importance are made by the CEO (although decisions on projects are often trusted to the project lead). The CEO will take input from his executive and management team, but in the end, his decision overrides everything else. The CEO is very fast-paced and can make decisions in the spur of the moment. Another consequence of the concentrated power is that if you’re on the CEO’s bad side, it’s difficult to do well at the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to establish organizational structures that improve employee supervision, training, growth, and satisfaction.

COPE Health Solutions Photos