CORT Business Services

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
3.3

Jeff Pederson

Great work environment, management understanding, helpful, and supportive through all processes

Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at CORT Business Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are very welcoming
    training is laid out in front of you with help to achieve greater goals
    benefits are very well
    fun work environment

Cons

more room for personal growth

Billing and Collections - Full time for over 5 years

I have been working at CORT Business Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits program. Start with 2 weeks vacation, earn 3 weeks after 5 years. Company just released new marketing focus study that is being promoted throughout emphasizing customer service. Newly promoted CEO is making numerous significant and positive changes.

Cons

Advancement requires degree, experience not sufficient. Review process is very basic and doesn't really recognize personal achievements or set solid goals for success.

Recognition of long-term employees and their value to the company would go a long way in maintaining a quality workforce.

Big company with room to move up

Current Employee - Inventory Control Associate in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Associate in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at CORT Business Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is good with benefits

Cons

Summers are very busy so the work load goes up

Dont enforce rules upon your employees that dont help them in any way. Communicate better with all of the employees and have a plan for what needs to get done during the week.

Good experience

Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at CORT Business Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, leadership, compensation and fun place to work. Overall a healthy place to work. I would recommend Cort for anyone looking for growth.

Cons

Must be a self starter, motivated and a quick learner. Not a lot of training. Sometimes resistant go new ideas.

Only concerned about profit

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at CORT Business Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The fact that they provided insurance and 401k helped keep employees working there. Having support from management would have been great.

Cons

I was promoted to store manager and had problems with an employee. Upper management did not support me with any corrective actions.

Some of it was good and some of it was bad.

I have been working at CORT Business Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training- The training at CORT can tip the scales... It can be very dry and dull or it can be very insightful. Anytime I was offered training it was usually because they wanted to pile onto my sales goals and not because they were interested in me as an employee.

Promotions- If you are a young guy and you can relocate there will plenty of opportunities for you to move up in the Company... I moved twice while I was with the company (in less than ten years) and it's a mixed bag every time you move. If you really want to know what you're worth to the company...You will find out exactly what they think of you when you see what they provide for relocation. I laughed a couple of times because there were a couple of times that I thought to myself "this company must want me to quit right now".

Leadership- Ahh... I had met some really great managers that were brought over from the acquisition that really looked out for me and were very honest when it came to my growth and development and I am truly glad for the friendships that I have made with them. I really appreciated Richard as I always thought he was very genuine and I really enjoyed being in the room with him (full of wisdom and he could bring the best out in you)

Cons

Work-life balance - I worked 60 - 80 hours a week and there was really no work-life balance. When you couple that with moving every couple of years it can really take a toll on your family life and your relationships. There were times I would work in the warehouse until the A.M. and I would be working on proposals and business leads well after closing time and on the weekends (I loved the sales side but my fiancé did not.)

Politics- Merit based this place is not. I was working in a smaller district and I was doing things on the sales side that the district had never seen. Next thing I know Cort is trying to move me to Operations in another city for my third move in six years...I just could not do it. Once they told me that I could stay at the district, I knew at that moment that my salary was going to be on the chopping block eventually.

Compensation- I was making around $60,000 a year but I was working 70 hours a week and driving more than 2,000 miles a month. It averages to about $17 an hour. Towards the end of my career with CORT, that pay rate was no longer worth it. I was driving 2,000 miles a month and working 70 hours a week, and sometimes delivering furniture in a 26 foot truck. Knowing that I would have to relocate to get promoted I just decided to walk away.

No advice, I just wish everyone at CORT the best.

Quality Doesn't Stay - Mediocrity Gets Promoted

Current Employee - Account Representative
    Current Employee - Account Representative

I have been working at CORT Business Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CORT has a very unique go to market strategy. While many in the space simply want to rent furniture, CORT strives to fill a need from a multitude of angles - commercial, residential, staging, education, tradeshows, and more.

Cons

I hate saying it, but the greatest con is the people in leadership. CORT really does not weed out lackluster employees. Whenever we get a bright new outside influence they get chased away or let go. Instead we are left with leaders that are out of touch and receive promotions by simply being yes women or yes men. I recently though we were turning the corner with a new leader in our market only to wake up one day and find out he is gone. While I did not see eye to eye with this person, I was confident he could help me be successful. Why was more support not provided him? Why promoted those above when they cannot develop their people.

It is time to really evaluate the people you have in place. You have some really loyal sales people in the field, but people do not leave jobs - they leave managers. The company cannot grow if the same people are managing with the same or manipulated mind sets.

So Close, Yet So Far Away

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CORT Business Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

CORT provides an extremely beneficial solution for commercial, residential, student, & event / tradeshow customers alike. They are a Berkshire Hathaway company and have access to tremendous resources if they choose to take advantage.

Cons

The CORT system is broken. I was in a management role for just under a year and while our team achieved significant growth and exceeded all expectations we still parted ways. My manager, a tenured VP was never able to provide the direction our team required. One on One interactions were comprised of her repeating the words of others or things she thinks she observed in passing. The VP thinks she is much more effective and successful than she actually is, and these experiences are great examples of the struggle that exists within CORT. The company says they want to grow but when a fresh voice finds success, it threatens the employees that were not able to achieve that success directly on their own. They will tell you that the challenge is in the culture, but if the feedback I have received since parting ways is of any indication, then the challenge is partially in the management. They think they are being successful and driving growth, but they are in fact just being reactive to the whispers amongst their own clique. How scary is it that these voices are directing the future implementation of strategy & training at CORT?

CORT's product offerings are about a half step ahead of their competition, but their execution and go to market strategy is about a half step behind the rest. The various divisions do not communicate with one another as evidenced by the website featuring one division prominently and forcing prospects to hunt and peck to find the remaining category offerings.

Decisions at CORT begin and end with the PNL. District management will evaluate their Business Activity Reports daily and monitor each tick up or down. While not a true Con on it's own, this constant PNL review results in CORT not spending to fuel sales, not attracting top talent, and allowing mediocre talent to remain in the system way longer than they should. It's hard to provide the "perfect customer experience" while also trying to "save yourself to prosperity."

The operations group at CORT is tremendous and more can be done to celebrate the efforts of this group.

The executive leadership at CORT is surprisingly strong. I would invest in or support any endeavor undertaken by Jeff, Mark, or Bob. I have confidence that these three can help CORT achieve the success and the growth the market seems so willing to provide. I just hope their efforts are not handicapped by loyalty to tenured employees just because of their tenure or previous successes.

Frustrating as we have constant turnover, poor compensation, ever-changing programs that do not work!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at CORT Business Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved prospecting and selling to customers. Some solid team members. Enjoyed meeting new clients

Cons

Top management has lost their way. Constant bad hiring decisions. Old school fear and intimidation, we have lost some very smart competent people!

Start listening to the people on the ground. quit changing compensation to save money. Ensure this is a great
    place to work by listening!!!!

Good Opportunity if you fit in.

Former Employee - Senior Rental Consultant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Rental Consultant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at CORT Business Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent salary and hours. They are very forward with compensation. Not confusing.

Cons

Poor management. There is so much division from manager with different thoughts on running the business.

Listen to all employees.