COUNTRY Financial

Updated October 9, 2014
3.4

COUNTRY Financial CEO Kurt F. Bock
Kurt F. Bock

Pros
  • Country offers a base salary helping new agents get established (in 11 reviews)

• Very good training program to help support you in your career (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Not building a book of business but chasing the next sale (in 7 reviews)

• if you work in a state that require Farm Bureau membership it's the worst thing about being an agent (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great CEO, Great Values

Current Employee - Digital Media Intern in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Digital Media Intern in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

COUNTRY Financial has an awesome culture - family atmosphere, caring management, etc. I interned in the Interactive Assets and Design Division for two summers. The internship program gives you the chance to connect with a mentor, meet upper-level management through a leadership speaker series, and collaborate with other interns, among many other things!

Cons

COUNTRY's campus is a bit spread out, so if you have meetings in other buildings, you need to give yourself enough time to drive over there, park, and find your meeting room.

ITS Network Internship

Former Employee - Tier II WAN Support Internship in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Tier II WAN Support Internship in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good introduction to enterprise environment, good compensation, welcoming internship program, allowed access to network devices - trusted you with the responsibility to not brick the network (branch offices at least), the team was always willing to help out, great source of information, management was flexible with school and taking a days off here and there for personal reasons

Good place to start my career.

Cons

The culture of the IT building seemed dated/dry/old,

More responsibility and work- although I should have asked, wish I would have gotten my feet wet with LAN and some more of the other network appliances/devices (accelerators, load balancers)

wonderful

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

hard work is recogonized and rewarded

Cons

inability to intergrate systems and agility

spend some money get what we need and what our customers want

Dream career.

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits. Flexible work environment. Great staff. Competitive salary.

Cons

Could be beneficial to modernize the environment. Interior design is much needed.

Be more open to jeans on Fridays or other relaxation opportunities...wouldn't hurt to modernize the work environment.

Good company to work for overall.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time

Pros

Mid-sized environment with good co-workers. Competitive benefits and good work-life balance. Hard work is generally recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Executive leadership is very conservative. Risk-averse to a fault, and very slow to adapt to change. Strategic decisions seem to be based on company politics or internal business interests.

Don't be afraid of change, and don't be afraid to challenge the agency-based sales model. Get lean; cut out the dead wood and offer above-average benefits to attract new talent, especially in the ITS area. Stop viewing ITS as a cost sink, and start leveraging it to give your business a competitive edge.

Great company! Great Training, great people.

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people. The team at the branch is fantastic

Cons

You have to get your own book of clients and start from ground zero.

None

Love the people, meaningful work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company truly cares for their clients, and has great values. They understand that life is more than just our jobs, while still having high expectations of their employees.

Cons

Some would say the location is a negative, being located in central IL, but it is a great place to live and work!

Continue doing what you are doing! We are becoming a more innovative company that is changing for the better. It is an exciting time to work for COUNTRY Financial.

Excellent place to grow your business skills

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

COUNTRY offers you the opportunity to grow your business skills while still going to school. During my internship I had the chance to work across many different teams and projects which assisted me in getting my current job.

Cons

There wasn't a ton offered in terms of training. Required you to spend a lot of time running the hotline. Not a great place to work and get advancement, many employees have been there a long time so they are stuck in their spot.

Continue to transform into a 21st century company and support your interns in their growth and allow them to express their ideas more freely

Stable and traditional insurance company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and stable employment. Company is conservative with underwriting and investments, ensuring that they maintain surplus and profitability without greedily emphasizing profits. Top performers can and do advance and better their careers.

Cons

Traditional culture and lots of red tape make it difficult to get things done. Innovation is hard to come by, and there are few talented young people in the company. Many employees have been with the company for a long time, making it difficult to change. The agent sales model needs to adapt and update with changing times but is too entrenched.

Develop young talent and find ways to retain it. Be open to more than one sales distribution model.

Great internship experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

COUNTRY is very intentional about making sure the interns get to do real work. They try to hire interns that they can eventually hire on as employees. Most interns seem to continue into the school year too, which is nice. The pay is quite good for an internship. It's a great work environment. Everywhere you go, people will tell you (without you even asking) that they really like working here. I like the direction the CEO is taking the company.

Cons

It would be nice if the internship offered some basic benefits. Holidays are paid, but there's no paid time off, insurance, etc.