COUNTRY Financial Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.3

COUNTRY Financial CEO Kurt F. Bock
Kurt F. Bock

Pros
  • Building your book of business while earning a base salary (in 11 reviews)

• Very good training program to help support you in your career (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting with an existing book of business makes it a lot easier (in 5 reviews)

• if you work in a state that require Farm Bureau membership it's the worst thing about being an agent (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent place to grow your business skills

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Bloomington, IL

I worked at COUNTRY Financial as an intern for more than a year

Pros

COUNTRY offers you the opportunity to grow your business skills while still going to school. During my internship I had the chance to work across many different teams and projects which assisted me in getting my current job.

Cons

There wasn't a ton offered in terms of training. Required you to spend a lot of time running the hotline. Not a great place to work and get advancement, many employees have been there a long time so they are stuck in their spot.

Continue to transform into a 21st century company and support your interns in their growth and allow them to express their ideas more freely

Stable and traditional insurance company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and stable employment. Company is conservative with underwriting and investments, ensuring that they maintain surplus and profitability without greedily emphasizing profits. Top performers can and do advance and better their careers.

Cons

Traditional culture and lots of red tape make it difficult to get things done. Innovation is hard to come by, and there are few talented young people in the company. Many employees have been with the company for a long time, making it difficult to change. The agent sales model needs to adapt and update with changing times but is too entrenched.

Develop young talent and find ways to retain it. Be open to more than one sales distribution model.

Great Place to Learn the business and Start a career if its a good fit for you.

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Base pay is great for new reps learning the ropes.
    bonuses available for production on top of the commissions.

Cons

Management is not consistent and first few years will be focused on home and auto insurance. So the financial planning and investment part of the career is more of an extra feature not the main focus of most reps.

Keep it up. Great place to start out. Training programs are outstanding compared to many other companies.
    Work to add more managers from the region they are in so that they can better understand the customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial

Pros

very nice place to work

Cons

lack of opportunities at times

Financial Representative

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule, easy to start out in the industry.

Cons

Benchmarks, weekly meetings over the same things.

None.

Great internship experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial as an intern for less than a year

Pros

COUNTRY is very intentional about making sure the interns get to do real work. They try to hire interns that they can eventually hire on as employees. Most interns seem to continue into the school year too, which is nice. The pay is quite good for an internship. It's a great work environment. Everywhere you go, people will tell you (without you even asking) that they really like working here. I like the direction the CEO is taking the company.

Cons

It would be nice if the internship offered some basic benefits. Holidays are paid, but there's no paid time off, insurance, etc.

Company in decline

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Normal, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, pension plan that is decent, ok 401k match. There were some really good people to work with that made up for some of the shortcomings of the company. If you are geared towards six sigma and are half way decent at organizational politics you can thrive at Country.

Cons

Very siloed and ineffective waterfall style project management. Very hard to get promoted. Culture become negative since the years that I started.

People and interactions over processes and tools.

Not a bad place to start

Former Employee - Insurance Agent  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at COUNTRY Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get some initial training and obtain your licenses. Most offices are relatively nice and you'll likely get a private office from the start.

Cons

You're a captive agent so if the company decides to dramatically increase rates be prepared to lose business and take a pay cut.

Great place to start your Insurance career....but not a good place to stay

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A Salary when you begin in the insurance industry is a great benefit! Flexibility on hours worked....however, you are still working 50 - 60 hours...you can just choose which 50- 60 hours you will work. If you have a great work ethic- you will not be micro-managed. Great training for anyone new to thh industry. The pay is reasonable for being insurance- however, the losing money if benchmarks are not met is ridiculous and very de-motivating!

Cons

If you do not have the privilege of living in Illinois- you will not be given any book of business until you prove yourself. Which means if you do not have a large natural market- you will need to expect on spend $300 - $500 on leads per month, not to mention any marketing and networking efforts you decide to partake in. And, though they say you are a business owner- or that you are working your way to business ownership, that is not true as there is nothing you will own once converted to a career rep except a lease, staff expense, and all other business expenses that go with "business ownership".....but again, with nothing to sell or hand down to your children other loved one...what exactly is it that you own? You will not be building an asset but you are building the company an asset. You will make much more money and close more deals if you become an independent agent versus a captive agent.

If you are going to have "Employee Reps" then pay for 100% leads and/or an assistant for all the service work that comes with being a good agent. I have never had to pay so much money to have a job. Once converted to a career rep- give a rep reason and incentive to convert....not the illusion of business ownership only to find out the rep has more skin in the game than the company does.

Wonderful career opportunity.

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  Polo, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Polo, IL

I have been working at COUNTRY Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I control my own destination. I have wonderful support from my home office, and a company with a great reputation among the industry and in my own community.

Cons

It's not easy. Must work hard and put in extra hours when needed. Compensation is in direct correlation with your efforts, commitment and taking good care of your clients by doing what's right for them.

Take good care of your reps. Support them with ideas and information to be the best they can possibly be. Follow through with them if they need help.

Worked for COUNTRY Financial? Contribute to the Community!