CPI Office Products Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
36 reviews filtered by
2.7
David Cain

1. I was hired and fired within 1 months time without warning!!!

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Memphis, TN

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary was great but don't bank on commission cause it constantly changes without warning....

Cons

No good training in Corp and your branch manager too busy to train so you're on your own in the field.

Advice to Management

Corp and branches needs to be on the same page! Branches are suffering due to corp constant changing process. Customers buy from reps not company! Stop firing your outside reps who builds relationships with customers! Memphis customers buy from reps who they know in trust. Not some voice who constantly calls!!! Duh!!!

2. Watch your back

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The customers are the best part of working at CPI, free office products, and also the nice clean facility. Salary is great and they provide great benefits.

Cons

micromanages, they track your every move, if managers call you; you better answer or they question what you're doing and where you've been. POLITICS!! Very high turn over. Constant commission plan changes. will threaten you with your job if you do not get a new account within max amount of time once you get new accounts they still will fire you.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so bad.

Don't waste your time with this company

Current Employee - Area Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CPI Office Products

Pros

Great salary...in the beginning

Cons

I had been out of training a week when corporate decided that they were going to start charging us for our promo materials... $300 a month... wow. So I tried to stay positive but everyday something changed and everyday I figured out that although I was supposed to be selling a relationship with the company through myself... the company didn't care about the relationship. They only cared about the sale.

Advice to Management

I think it's disgusting to purposely hire more people than you need knowing you will fire half of them 60 days later. What a joke. I turned down other positions with legitimate companies for this circus. Don't let the big base fool you.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WORKING HERE

I have been working at CPI Office Products

Pros

Free coffee and a gameroom that pretty much no one uses

Cons

Compensation. Base pay is ok, but 3 months in I was blowing my projections out of the water and making less than 250 a month in commission. Don't let them fool you that you can make 60+ in your first year. If you're lucky enough to make it a year without them firing you for no reason, you can realistically expect maybe 50K if your lucky. 45K is more realistic. Check out the reviews from April, and July. They have a pattern of hiring a bunch of people only to fire them all within 6 months regardless of how well they are doing. They also give you crap if you want to take a day off and benefits for a family are over 1,000 a month just for medical before vision, dental, etc.

It was just a job.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CPI Office Products

Pros

It was just a job.

Cons

They fire new and seasoned personnel without any warning. One day your doing fine, the next day they can you.

Advice to Management

Listen and take the advice of your workers who know what they are doing and stop assuming you know everything.

7. Place for dedicated and motivated over-the-phone sales professionals.

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary is more than rewarding. Management is great, all of them have great attitudes and know how to help you succeed. Just listen, work hard, ask for help when necessary, and you can be successful. Their goal is to make the company and YOU successful. Facility is great. And the fellow employees are awesome and also willing to help you succeed.

Cons

Cold calling and hard selling over the phone. May not be a con for some, but was for me. This position is not for everyone, and will take determination and motivation to be successful.

Advice to Management

The management staff, unlike what some of the other reviews say, is great. The three managers on the floor have the best attitudes for the positions they are in and each deserve raises. Keep the positive energy and attitudes.

8. Great position for dedicated sales professionals

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at CPI Office Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I loved working at CPI! Management was very supportive, training was comprehensive, fun atmosphere, all of the perks of working for a great company, fitness room, great coffee, medical appointments available on site, game room, and so much more.

Cons

The volume of products to learn up front is a little daunting, over 40000 in catalog but management was always willing to help with customer requests during the learning process.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Lewisville, TX

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was full time for three months. This place is a sweatshop and you can find much better. The quotas are rediculous and in the time I was there, the staff turnover was constant. There are no pros here, just time wasted.

Cons

You are selling crap paper with negative margins that effect your minimal commission and promising dreams and sunshine to the smaller companies, yet it's really sneaky price increases over time and a gimmick.

Advice to Management

Just shut it down

Customer Service Rep

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Consistent Hours, 1 hour lunch everyday, consistent schedule, benefits are nice, gym on site as well as game room.

Cons

Laid off with no notice for no real reason, was hired on in december laid off in january after leaving job with promise of secure job with "new" department that would get rid of current sales team. Manager of team was hot-headed and no real managment experience. Hired on as a customer service rep, told needed to sell with no real sales experience, if you didn't meet call quota or sales for the day you received a talk day after day. No point in defending yourself or others, they attacked who they wanted. Was a football like culture, with the big dogs picking on the little ones and not being able to grow or have a voice. NO VACATION YOUR FIRST YEAR.

Advice to Management

If your company isn't about to tank, give employees a notice before you think about laying them off because of quota's not met when all you needed to do was give more training instead of this is what you should do. When you hire CSR have them work as that and not as sales. Listen to Christina Fischer more.

Sweat Shop Micro Managing Commission Cutting Prison

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salary is decent at best.

Cons

They set very hard to reach goals and cut your commission if you don't attain said goals. The only people who attain said goals for the most part are those that inherit others accounts when they leave or get fired to where they have built in business. They count calls including the amount of minutes you are on the phone and expect you to hit both every day. They walk around watching everyone very closely and listen to all of your calls. They get on to you when you get up to go to the bathroom. They fire people so often it is like they are doing it for fun. Management is just former high performing sales reps that don't know how to manage people.

Advice to Management

Hire actual people with true management experience and don't micromanage everyone.