CPI Office Products Reviews

David Cain

Good Place To Make A Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at CPI Office Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CPI is a company that will be around for the long haul. We have a CEO that keeps our business adapting to the changing marketplace and gives us value to bring to our customers. In the time I have been here, we have adjusted our product offering numerous times, while our competitors have become stagnant. We have achieved consistent growth, while competitors have not.

A third of our workforce has been here longer than 5 years, and half of that third has been here longer than 10 years. Not a lot of places can say that. I think it says a lot about our company. This is a place where you can have a long term career.

This is not a company that will let its employees rest on their laurels, but one that will challenge you to be your best at all times. Having worked for previous employers that had minimal expectations from their employees, I find myself with more confidence and pride in my work than I have before.

There is a family atmosphere in this company for most people. There are a lot of times that everyone is busy trying to meet their goals, but there is still a genuine camaraderie to balance that out.

Cons

High turnover. This is a sales organization and that's par for the course, but still disappointing that not everyone can be successful.

Occasional growing pains from the adapting business model. Better than never adapting though.

Advice to Management

I am a member of Management

May 5, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your comments and loyalty.

Unstable, bad environment. You can do better.

I worked at CPI Office Products

Pros

Free gym, sales contests, free coffee and water at work, easy hours, no weekends. The training was good, and some of the managers aren't bad guys.

Cons

Everything was micromanaged. During power hour from 8 to 10, if the boss saw that we were off the phone for more than 2 or 3 minutes (no exaggeration), he would walk over to your cubicle or call your extension to ask why you were off the phone. Other reviews call it a sweatshop and that's pretty accurate. People are expected to hammer the phone and not stop until the official break time.

Pay is always up and down in sales, but it's worse at CPI because the commission plan changes all the time. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's really bad. They never seemed to know how the pay plan would work until it had already been implemented for a while. They took huge chunks out of your paycheck even if you were 99% of quota.

They hire and fire constantly and everybody is always either mad or scared. A lot of employees come to work under the influence of alcohol and drugs to deal with the constant threats and intimidation.

Insurance is very expensive if you have dependents. The company seems to be in financial trouble from poor management. A lot of employee perks went away.

Advice to Management

Listen to all the employees, not just the ones you like. Don't hire more people than you can afford, and pay everybody on the same commission plan. Nobody's commission plan should be a secret.

Jun 3, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review.

We do have several metrics in place to measure our team members against minimums we have established that we know will make you successful. That sometimes comes across
    ... More

*Subject to change without notice.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can puff on an e-cigarette or keep a spit cup at your desk while you work.

The gym is open on Saturdays and after business hours.

If you can survive more than a year in sales at CPI with your integrity in tact, you can sell anything, and work for anybody. There are some talented people there who give good training.

Cons

This is a sales organization, run like a factory. The biggest problem with that is that management doesn't know how to run a factory, or a sales organization.

Sales people are expected to be robotic drones with no power to think critically or make decisions. That works at some companies, but the people at the top have to be capable of rational decision making and critical thinking. At CPI, management makes irrational snap decisions, like investing in 18-wheelers with the company logo plastered across the trailer a few weeks after they let go of 20% of the inside sales force (a month after Christmas) because a new sales model wasn't helping revenue.

Some of the people making these decisions have no work experience, other than working at CPI for just 3-5 years. When great power is given to somebody who is little more than a vehicle for a haircut to get around, a lot of damage can be done. Theres nothing wrong with going to college on an athletic scholarship and getting a bachelors degree in Business Communication-- but with no professional business or finance experience, somebody with that background would not be qualified to take part in making decisions for a company.

Commission plans change frequently, and are never thoughtfully planned. To say that people are micromanaged and over-monitored is an understatement.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, or clear out the Boomer Sooner good-ol'boy fraternity in the attic and bring in some qualified, experienced people to run the company.

May 29, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

CPI is a family, and any family has personality differences. I’m sorry you seem to have had differences with a couple of other team members that made you want to no longer be a part of our family ... More

I was hired and fired within 1 months time without warning!!!

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Memphis, TN

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary was great but don't bank on commission cause it constantly changes without warning....

Cons

No good training in Corp and your branch manager too busy to train so you're on your own in the field.

Advice to Management

Corp and branches needs to be on the same page! Branches are suffering due to corp constant changing process. Customers buy from reps not company! Stop firing your outside reps who builds relationships with customers! Memphis customers buy from reps who they know in trust. Not some voice who constantly calls!!! Duh!!!

May 5, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your comments. We regret having to occasionally make staffing changes, but sometimes find them unavoidable. We wish you the best of luck in the future.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Area Manager
    Former Employee - Area Manager

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers are the best part of working at CPI, free office products, and also the nice clean facility. Salary is great and they provide great benefits.

Cons

micromanages, they track your every move, if managers call you; you better answer or they question what you're doing and where you've been. POLITICS!! Very high turn over. Constant commission plan changes. will threaten you with your job if you do not get a new account within max amount of time once you get new accounts they still will fire you.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so bad.

May 5, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

We try to strike a balance between the metrics we must achieve as a Sales organization and the freedom for our team members to do their tasks. I regret that you found this to be a negative ... More

Don't waste your time with this company

Current Employee - Area Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CPI Office Products

Pros

Great salary...in the beginning

Cons

I had been out of training a week when corporate decided that they were going to start charging us for our promo materials... $300 a month... wow. So I tried to stay positive but everyday something changed and everyday I figured out that although I was supposed to be selling a relationship with the company through myself... the company didn't care about the relationship. They only cared about the sale.

Advice to Management

I think it's disgusting to purposely hire more people than you need knowing you will fire half of them 60 days later. What a joke. I turned down other positions with legitimate companies for this circus. Don't let the big base fool you.

May 5, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

I can assure you that we don't hire more staff than we need. It sounds as though you were involved in a time when we were adjusting the way we align our sales force, and unfortunately that gave you a ... More

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WORKING HERE

I have been working at CPI Office Products

Pros

Free coffee and a gameroom that pretty much no one uses

Cons

Compensation. Base pay is ok, but 3 months in I was blowing my projections out of the water and making less than 250 a month in commission. Don't let them fool you that you can make 60+ in your first year. If you're lucky enough to make it a year without them firing you for no reason, you can realistically expect maybe 50K if your lucky. 45K is more realistic. Check out the reviews from April, and July. They have a pattern of hiring a bunch of people only to fire them all within 6 months regardless of how well they are doing. They also give you crap if you want to take a day off and benefits for a family are over 1,000 a month just for medical before vision, dental, etc.

May 5, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is helpful. We realize the first year is a time for you to build your sales, and the income potential we tell you about is from actual employees that achieved ... More

It was just a job.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CPI Office Products

Pros

It was just a job.

Cons

They fire new and seasoned personnel without any warning. One day your doing fine, the next day they can you.

Advice to Management

Listen and take the advice of your workers who know what they are doing and stop assuming you know everything.

May 5, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback. While it may sometimes seem as though we terminated people without warning, please know there are prior counseling sessions with these employees that you would not be aware ... More

10. Place for dedicated and motivated over-the-phone sales professionals.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I worked at CPI Office Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is more than rewarding. Management is great, all of them have great attitudes and know how to help you succeed. Just listen, work hard, ask for help when necessary, and you can be successful. Their goal is to make the company and YOU successful. Facility is great. And the fellow employees are awesome and also willing to help you succeed.

Cons

Cold calling and hard selling over the phone. May not be a con for some, but was for me. This position is not for everyone, and will take determination and motivation to be successful.

Advice to Management

The management staff, unlike what some of the other reviews say, is great. The three managers on the floor have the best attitudes for the positions they are in and each deserve raises. Keep the positive energy and attitudes.

May 5, 2015Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you are no longer with us.

11. Great position for dedicated sales professionals

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at CPI Office Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working at CPI! Management was very supportive, training was comprehensive, fun atmosphere, all of the perks of working for a great company, fitness room, great coffee, medical appointments available on site, game room, and so much more.

Cons

The volume of products to learn up front is a little daunting, over 40000 in catalog but management was always willing to help with customer requests during the learning process.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed