CPI Qualified Plan Consultants

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kevin Thompson

Firm Review

Senior Regional Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at CPI Qualified Plan Consultants full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood employer based on the size of the community. Casual atmosphere and Casual dress code. Work with employees on training for all positions.

ConsPurchased a few years back by a big corporation. They did some serious down sizing/changes after stating this would not happen. Home office now only concerned about the bottom dollar and not its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and work with them not against them. Purchasing a company that you have no experience with does not make your systems better just because you are a huge company. CPI's systems worked well for a reason, they were user friendly. Stop trying to change what works. Work with the CPI teams to make Retirement firms that we work with realize why CPI is so easy to work with!

A great place to work in Great Bend, KS

I have been working at CPI Qualified Plan Consultants full-time

ProsLots of perks that add to the overall good experience of working there. Depending on your department, the hours can be flexible. Some departments only care that you make your required hours. There is corporate concierge who can run errands for you, lunch is delivered daily from two local restaurants and the bill can be deducted from your paycheck. There are free softdrinks and lots of local discounts. If your car needs maintenance, local shops will come pick it up and deliver a loaner if you request this in advance.

ConsRight now, the company is undergoing a lot of changes stemming from it's sale to CUNA Mutual Group out of Wisconsin. There's an uncomfortable "wait and see" feeling that's affecting the overall morale. The pay is pretty low for many of the jobs. A lot of people are responsible for managing thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars in transactions daily but are paid barely over minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. For the time being, I believe they're handling the change and uncertainty well.

Plan admin point of view

Retirement Plan Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at CPI Qualified Plan Consultants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a lot of room for advancement.

ConsIt's a very "catty" environment. You make friends with the right people and you have an easy employment. You don't and you won't last.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pick your favorites so vocally.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CPI review

Plan Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at CPI Qualified Plan Consultants

ProsThis job is an ok job to gain some professional experience. You can use it as a resume builder and most of the people you work with are easy going. It is also casual dress such as sweat pants a t-shirt which is a big plus for those that do not like dressing up.

ConsThe pay is below average even for the cost of living in western Kansas. I do not plan on staying there long as the pay leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain college graduates you should consider paying them more. I know several of my friends have quit because they found much better paying jobs elsewhere.

Worst paying job in 401k administration

Plan Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at CPI Qualified Plan Consultants

ProsCasual dress code and very flexible, annual esop contribution is typically between eight and ten percent of compensation, which is very good, but obviously have no control over how that money is invested. Very casual atmosphere.

ConsVery bad pay, promotions are completely driven by senority, education and knowledge not well recognized during promotion process and position advancements. Very secretive on what employees get paid, bonuses are poor, no company match for the 401k and benefits are somewhat pricey. Plus Great Bend in my opinion is a horrible place to live. Very rural and flooded with illegal immigrants. Facilities are not anything to brag about. An old strip mall complex coverted into a maze of cubicles with not windows to the outside world.

Advice to Senior Managementpay your employees more

It was a good starter position but did not meet the expectations I have for my own growth potential.

CRS Customer Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at CPI Qualified Plan Consultants

ProsGreat starter job for someone wanting to kick off a career in the financial area.

ConsThe pay was a little less than average.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake notice of every employee so the good ones will stay.

Worked for CPI Qualified Plan Consultants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CPI Qualified Plan Consultants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CPI Qualified Plan Consultants CEO Kevin Thompson. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by CPI Qualified Plan Consultants employees.