CPI Security Systems Reviews

Kenneth J Gill

Solid Place to Land

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the past 1+ that I've been at CPI Security, I've had nothing but good experiences. The sales training provided to new employees is second to none and people are friendly at the corporate office. I've met Mr. Gill on numerous occasions and he is personable and invested in this company, he's not just a "figurehead" owner. Pay is fair for the work we do and bonuses are there for the taking if you put a little effort into it. I love how you walk the floors and see different competitions and rewards being offered to employees just for doing a good job in their positions. It's easy to find people willing to help you and most employees enjoy their jobs which makes for a nice place to work atmospherewise. Company paid for celebrations and events like Carowinds Day are the icing on the cake and make me happy with my decision to change venues and work for CPI.

Cons

PTO plans could be better and scale up more quickly or have a separate track for management positions.

Advice to Management

Work with your people, listen to what employee's want, follow up on surveys to show you are listening even if you can't do everything that is asked for one reason or another. Keep improving the product, the security system catalog offerings are truly some of the best in class!

2. The single worst thing that ever happened to me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 10% of the people aren't bad - Benefits are surprisingly adequate for the region

Cons

- The blatant nepotism of mgmt hiring is evident throughout every level of the company, putting insecure and under qualified people in critical positions - The negative impact of poor mgmt is felt every single day

Advice to Management

Stop giving twenty five cent raises!!! They're insulting!!! You would be better off giving nothing.

3. Amazing Company Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am proud to work for CPI - they truely care about their employees and work to make sure everyone has a part in the business. My supervisors work along side me and take time to talk me through times when I need help. I see Mr. Gill in the hallways and he says hi to me every time. My coworkers and I enjoy our work because we help make our customers safe and are recognized with inhouse contests and awards when we do a good job. CPI is a company that gives back to the community which is important to me and they know how to have fun eg- Panthers tickets, Carowinds Day, contests, ice cream. I love my job.

Cons

Weekend/shift work, daily stresses that come from a call center. I don't always like having to work my schedule but I have flexibility during the week to care for my personal matters, that's nice.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees, they are paying attention to how you lead and the decisions that are being made more than you may think. Make sure information flows down to all levels of employees. Keep trying to interact with employees, events like PLC and Family Fun Day are appreciated.

The WORSE, absolute WORSE company to EVER EVER EVER work for

Former Employee - Quality Assurance But Really Customer Care in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance But Really Customer Care in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CPI Security Systems

Pros

There is really nothing good or exciting about this company; they are very unprofessional, unorganized and maintains unethical business with employees. OVERWORK with OLD systems and under pay with high demands and micro manage.

Cons

This is a SLAVE mentality job, super micro management, no opportunity to grow. They are unethical about how they handle there business (pay, position, work-life balance).

Advice to Management

New management needed from HR to the entire call center AND contact center .... Start over with management who are looking to advance the future of the company and not sit stagnant with old systems, old and outdated policy and procedures.

Branch Administrator

Former Employee - Student in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Student in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

CPI had great people, great job perks, great product you felt proud of for families. Offices are nice and the company holds a lot of really nice events. I loved working there.

Cons

Sometimes the systems they used for administration were very outdated and it added a lot of unnecessary work. Ended up frustrating a lot of people but we worked through it together.

Advice to Management

Maybe update the systems, but overall I was always very happy with management there and even spoke fairly often with the CEO who made a point to tell everyone how much he appreciated them.

The honeymoon is over

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible time - make your own hours - awesome product - best security system out in the current LOCAL market - colleagues make work fun

Cons

Wow - where to begin. Upper management pays lip service to all sales reps and for older employees it can be very condescending. They change the training structure for new employees which cheats them of the ability to be a fantastic and most importantly SUCCESSFUL employee. A good team player wants their other teammates to be successful since you are only as strong as your weakest link. Focus on what makes CPI different from the competition before throwing the new employees to a path of a certain failure. Don't tease employees with a "promotion" when you have no intention on following through with the offer. Making sure reps are paid properly. It shouldn't be their responsibility- that's the payroll / HR departments job. Their job is to sell and represent the company. Don't make them wait to get paid over clerical admin issues - especially if the customer is installed and paying for the next five years. Comp plan changes too often - special offers are made to customers but then the sales rep loses $50 here and there because of the promo constantly changing. If the CEO wants to offer free equipment - that's his choice - don't make the 100% employee lose money.

Advice to Management

Be consistent - don't use your 100% commission employees as guinea pigs to "try" out your ideas.

Look Elsewhere for a Career

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

This company could be the strongest security company in the region. Strong marketing and awesome products and services that is far beyond competition.

Cons

It all starts with the CEO and trickles down from there. Horrible leadership that changes employees comp plans regularly and without notice. Every leader is expected to cross the ethical and moral line for the company without question or hesitation. All in the name of King Ken Gill.

Advice to Management

Do everyone in the company a favor and guide them with some morals, ethics and values. Don't be scared and live day to day if you say the wrong thing that KG disagrees with. At some point everyone is in his sights for elimination.

CPI Security Systems Response

May 28, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time for providing feedback to CPI Security. We always welcome all feedback from our current employees, past employees, customers as well as future potential customers ... More

Low paying and minimal vacation time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not sure, I was given little chance to find out

Cons

I interviewed with them some years ago, and was essentially given a verbal "all we need is senior management approval". I had some misgivings about the job as it was a pretty big reduction in vacation days from previous jobs - I think one week in the first year then earning up to two weeks - memory could be inaccurate on that though. This was arranged through a head hunter, who had been told unofficially that the exec I interviewed with wanted to offer me the job. The problem was that the owners baulked at the $150,000 price tag for me (which was pretty much market rate). Didn't get the chance to experience any other parts of their culture, but this experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Advice to Management

Start being a little more professional and pay market rate for jobs

Outside sales residential

I have been working at CPI Security Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for with and a great team to support your efforts.

Cons

Mostly all self generated sales.

Advice to Management

none

manager

I worked at CPI Security Systems full-time

Pros

I really cant think of any positive things to say about this company as it relates to my career or personal development.

Cons

Very micro managed. Alternate viewpoints are not welcome. No job security.

Advice to Management

No advice. They wont listen.

CPI Security Systems Response

May 4, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

We are sorry to hear that you have a negative experience working at CPI Security. We are very open to hearing what our employees feel and think about the organization. That’s why we offer an exit ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed