CPSG PARTNERS, LLC

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
4.2

Rohit Mehrotra

One of the best places to work IF you can get hired

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CPSG has the highest concentration of extremely intelligent, fun, and genuinely humble people I have seen. Everyone here -- from recruiters to management -- works really, really hard and is amazing at what they do. There is no room for cruisers. If you don't have top-notch work ethic, you will feel like a slacker here. You need not toot your own horn as peers will do it for you by giving you Kudos.

Most important thing at CPSG is its high performing culture. The environment is really positive and people are not only smart, but actually seem to care about the company and each other. All new employees are made to read the email sent by CEO – [Don’t F…k up the culture] which is funny and insightful. People at CPSG are very friendly. If you're having problems, help is just an ask away; people enjoy when you ask insightful questions, which goes a long way toward setting your mind at ease.

The demographic profile of the company is young and diversified (gender, color, sexual preference). College recruiting is primarily from the most selective schools - IVYs, Stanford, Duke, Rice, UT etc, which could be perceived as concentrated, however the results have been stellar [see above]. Once hired, this is not an issue as your work and peer feedback is the primary driver and experienced people have varied educational background.

Cons

The company is definitely growing fast. This isn't necessarily the best place to work if you're not extremely smart and comfortable with change as that happens a lot around here. Things are still getting figured out, which can sometimes be confusing.

Keep up the culture and stay with your philosophy of hiring only the very best. Makes our jobs easier.

Great culture and Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get the opportunity to work with the brightest people in the business. Everybody helps each other out, which has been great for our college new hires. They are transitioning from college into fast paced environment with ease. Leadership is fantastic. Both owners provide great vision for the company, and their door is always open for any issues the employees might be having.

Cons

I've put on a few pounds due to the free lunches on Wednesday and Fridays. Luckily, their Dallas office has a gym, so they give you the opportunity to work that off for free.

Keep the culture going. Keeping bringing in smart folks, and don't compromise on quality.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most talented team oriented group I have ever worked with.

Cons

Fast paced - very hectic at times.

maintain the culture

The Fair Review

Current Employee - Anonymous in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office in The Woodlands is one of the best company cultures you can find anywhere. The people are very smart, professional and most of all caring. The average age is around mid 20s so the environment is professional and hard working, but still light and fun at the same time. There is a ping pong table which is put to use everyday that helps work off a stressful call or is used as a needed break from staring at the computer all day.

The people in this office are a family. A little over a year ago there were about 10 people in the office. Today there are over 40, but being in this small group and working together through all the client work, both good and tough, has bonded this office together. When times get rough, we step in and help each other out. When one person is visibly stressed people will go up to that person and ask "Hey what can I help you with?" There is never a day that goes by without people smiling or laughing about something. As the company continues to grow it will be hard to keep everyone in the office feeling like they are part of the family, but that's a natural progression of a growing business.

The work is hard, but not impossible. The best thing about the work at CPSG is that almost every consultant has multiple certifications. Everyone is a Jack of All trades and it allows virtually anyone in the office the ability to help anyone else out.

The work is very much self motivated. Being a small company still, you are expected to figure things out on your own. While there are plenty of people around to always help you out, the truly successful people are the ones that take their own initiative to learn and continue learning the system and methodologies. CPSG provides the culture for you to become skilled in any area of Workday you want. Naturally if you become good at one area then you may get placed on projects that play to your strengths, but no one is going to tell you "no, don't go learn that, just focus on what your already doing".

If you are bored in the office, it isn't other people's faults for not giving you work. It is your fault for not taking advantage of the opportunities in front of you.

Cons

CPSG is a small company, and just like any small company, growing pains will occur and are occurring.

Compensation can range from mediocre to great, it really depends on how good you are at negotiating and how much you stay on top of your compensation. There is no true pay range set up right now. Some staff consultants can be making more than consultants and some consultants can be making more than Sr. Consultants.

The workload is tough, and for some people it is unmanageable, but communication is key. CPSG doesn't want anyone to fail so if you are open about the workload you can get relief, most of the time. Again, it's a small company and sometimes people get overloaded and have to stay overloaded. It sucks, but it happens. Life isn't always fair but if you communicate and communicate early about the stress, management will listen before you get in too deep.

As we continue to get bigger, limits are being put on the number of projects to help with work life balance, but for now some people have to bite the bullet and just get the work done.

The biggest item to address here is that you are not compensated per amount of workload. You have a salary and your salary isn't going to go up when your workload goes up. Management is working on it so people do not burn out, but it is a risk/reward situation for the worker.

The bonus is often portrayed as a sale point for when you get hired, but it is really hit or miss. Some people get huge bonuses and some get none at all. You have to know how to manage your billable hours and OT to make it work. This is something management has to figure out and address sooner rather than later.

Continue keeping the culture light and fun. In a high stress environment, like we are in, once you lose the fun factor then people will become demotivated very quickly.

While the focus on getting people hired from Ivy League schools is great, the focus on the person's Ivy League status should stop after they are hired. There are plenty of people in the office that don't have Ivy League degrees who are doing amazing jobs and train/mentor many of those Ivy league graduates. Once anyone is hired, the focus should be on that individual's ability to get the job done and nothing else.

People make all of the difference

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is very clear we have the best team around which is the reason why I chose CPSG. Full of very smart, positive, and collaborative minds that have helped me in starting my career.

Cons

Workload can get exceedingly demanding at times, moderate at other stages. All in all it balances out.

Keep promoting our superb work culture that has brought this team together and do the best you can on maintaining balanced workloads. We understand that with our vast success comes with the same demand for our services. Success breeds success.

A Candid Review

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC

Pros

The job - Workday is a great product and proving yourself in this job will put you in a good place for other jobs. You should know that Workday experience is very desirable in this job market.

The people - CPSG does hire good people. I have made many friends in my coworkers. For the most part, everyone who works at CPSG is genuinely a good person. CPSG also hires smart people. Then again, you can't make it in this industry if you're not quick. The initial Workday certification exams are a good filter on who is qualified to succeed and not.

The company - Free food a couple of times a week, we have a good coffee machine, upper management seems to want their employees to be comfortable in their workspace. Among consultants there is a flat structure. Management places a lot of trust in the consultants to be doing their very best job, so you don't have a supervisor breathing down your neck at all times. For the most part, managers just act as peers/mentors.

Cons

The recruitment process - You will be promised many things: a work-life balance, the opportunity to work entirely remotely after 6 months, and bumps in your salary after 6 and 12 months. I have yet to see any of these selling points be the case. Make sure you get everything in writing that you hear during the recruiting process.

The hiring practice - Lately CPSG has focused its efforts on hiring inexperienced Ivy Leaguers. The CEO only cares if you went to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton, even though the people who come from there have no background in IT or legitimate interest in a long-term career in Workday. Still, if you went elsewhere that he thinks is sub-par, you will be offered less compensation. And nepotism and cronyism do prevail here. All of this is just shameful.

The job - You spend most of your time talking to HR people who are under a lot of pressure from their upper management. These HR people then put a lot of pressure on you to deliver. CPSG doesn't have too many resources who are both skilled and have the bandwidth to help, so oftentimes you are left alone to figure out problems by yourself. It's a double-edged sword in that you get to learn, but you are on your own. CPSG focuses its efforts on the medium enterprise space, where timelines are rapid and budgets are lean. Some clients are really pleasant, but this is rare. The way some clients treat us is abusive. As a result, most times you just feel unappreciated.

Workload - Each consultant should be staffed on no more than 5 projects in order to do a great job, but most of us are on more than 10. This is a problem because the clients need more from us, and we want to give them our time and effort but we simply do not have the capacity. The best job we can do under these circumstances is simply not the best job that we are capable of doing. Everyone works nights and weekends, and the emails never stop. When you are on PTO you don't actually get time off because you will get emails or calls from other consultants or clients to deliver. The need for personal space and a break from work is not respected.

Compensation - CPSG has some cheap compensation policies. Our bonus structure is driven purely by billable hours. You can only collect your full bonus if you reach 85% billable by the end of the year, which may not be the case since most of us aren't billable for a while when we first start. Annual merit increase is 3-8% pending your performance review. For business expenses, CPSG makes us use corporate credit cards that we have to pay off. If you have an airline or hotel credit card, you won't be able to collect double points for your travel. Instead, upper management takes your points. No one likes these damn corporate credit cards. We are also paid below the industry standard.

Stop comparing what we do to Navy Seals. That is an insult to military personnel everywhere. We are work grunts, and we are not motivated by any obsession for the company. All of your consultants are striving to do the best job that they can while maintaining a good work-life balance. Your "culture" is dying because no one has time for collaboration, and no one is happy. People don't believe that things are going to improve in a couple of months. This is more than just "growing pains," this is the result of the need for structural change. Stop telling us that "We are the best!" because not a single one of us believes this. You ought to do a much better job managing your employees' workloads and happiness.

An Honest Review

Current Employee - Staff Consultant
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The big pros of this job are the people. The environment is always welcoming and people are ready to help you out whenever you need them. Experience in the cloud services consulting industry, especially Workday, is highly in demand and having that on your resume is big plus.

Cons

Most consultants are staffed in 10-12 projects at a time. For this reason, consultants are not able to give their 100% to any of their clients and clients in turn end up feeling unsatisfied. The compensation offered in below average if you are not from an Ivy league college. There is no clear bonus or merit structure in place. There is very clear favoritism shown which has nothing to do with your potential or your work as a consultant. Most junior consultants are under a contract which ties them to the company for two years so they do not have a way out. You are put in a lead role very early on, which might be good for experience, but on paper you remain a staff consultant which is the most junior position in the company, so the growth factor is very superficial.

Understand that your employees are the reason for your success and give them the respect they deserve. Your employees will be much happier if they feel as though they are being compensated fairly and that your policies and treatment are equal across the board.

In transition

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teamwork: There is definitely a sense of collaboration among peers. If you don't know the answer to a client's question, someone else does and 9 times out of 10 will sit down to help you out.

Fast paced: First few weeks start out slow until you're staffed and then the pace blasts off. Caveat is that you have to ask for the work, it won't just fall on your plate, but there is always something to do if you look hard enough. Definitely opportunities to prove you're drive.

Exposure and learning opportunities: You get a chance to work with clients from a variety of industries simultaneously. In terms of Workday area focus, if you are vocal, you can get exposure to a lot of areas within Workday and find your niche. Good environment for the intellectually curious and proactive worker.

Cons

Organization: The company is expanding very rapidly and it seems like a schism is arising between veteran employees and new hires in terms of knowledge transfer. Onboarding process provides little to no insight on company policies, how to operate internal systems for time entry, online pay checks, etc.

Compensation: Tried to negotiate salary, but to no avail. I keep hearing about this mysterious billable bonus, but I've yet to meet someone who can give me a straight forward answer as to what it is based on. Seems pretty subjective. Raise/promotion structure also not clear. Big selling point during interview process was the lack of standard corporate ladder and belief in timely merit based raises. Seems like things are shifting towards the former.

Try not to dilute the attention given to new hires as the company grows. It seems like focus is shifting to quantity over quality. Not in reference to employee competency, rather regarding the grooming of each individual employee. Get them up to speed on company policy, be cognizant of their progress and workload, and take more direct action when feedback comes in from consultants.

Top Consulting Firm, Great Corporate Environment!

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We are the best Workday partner in the ecosystem. Excellent work balance. I was hired almost 2 years ago and have received excellent training, certifications and support from CPSG Partners. And I am now starting to support others. Not everyone is willing to become a mentor or a lead, and that is fine with CPSG. They take you at your own pace. But my goal is to continue to grow and support our teams, just as I have been supported over the last year and a half. It also helps that I can work from home, but I like to come into the office because of the people and great environment. Plus we are given a free gym membership down stairs, that I try to go twice a week.
    Lunch is catered in twice per week with Pizza parties every Friday, and entertaining happy hours. Just a fun and rewarding place to work. You receive lots of valuable training and certifications. The company really invests heavily into your career giving you every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

I have gained some weight with the Pizza parties and birthday cakes. But seriously, no real cons to think of. There is plenty of work and interesting projects, which is a good thing and with every successful company comes solid work. And my manager works hard to make sure that I am supported. I think the only way someone would not have support, and feel overwhelmed, is if you don’t communicate.
    Every job has work and challenges, though the work is simply managed better here. Learn to communicate & find a solution. The great thing about consulting is: “the work always changes.”
    If you aren’t happy in this environment, then something is wrong (with you).

Thanks for everything you do to make this the best place to work anywhere around. Also make a conscience effort to ask your team members if they are feeling supported and how you can help. All in all, keep up the good communication that you do.

Excellent services company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CPSG PARTNERS, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are committed to making sure they have excellent people and are willing to go to great lengths to support them. They've committed to making the working atmosphere very collegial, having regular social events and group lunches. Travel is limited to just a few days a month for most employees. The management is very supportive of personal growth and career advancement as well. Every consultant is trained, and given a mentor to aid with the training process and assimilation. Projects are team based, and the teams are loaded with intelligent, hard working people. I've been in the software consulting industry for more than a decade, and this is as good a company to work for as I've found.

Cons

Vacation time is very limited, and if you are a person who wants to have a long incubation period, this is not your place. Consultants are normally leads in their area on a project with a few months, which can be intimidating.

CPSG PARTNERS, LLC Photos